DID VT2 help needed

yea, that fits onto cr's with no spacer needed. The best damn chain ever. i have 180 hour on it along with my iron man sproket and they are probeblyonly about 1/2 way worn out.

as for the masterlink. thats a press type. you need a chain anvil to use it. You may be able to get away with using another master link. just check if the link pins are long enough and are the same size.

yea, that fits onto cr's with no spacer needed. The best damn chain ever. i have 180 hour on it along with my iron man sproket and they are probeblyonly about 1/2 way worn out.

as for the masterlink. thats a press type. you need a chain anvil to use it. You may be able to get away with using another master link. just check if the link pins are long enough and are the same size.

Thanks I have never heard of that before a chain anvil?

All my years in bmx using pin presses I can see another tool is needed.

Would motion pro make that ??

DID offers a clip-on masterlink for the VT2. They run about $8. You will need a small chain press to install it. Motion Pro sells one for about $8.

When installing the plate, I first measure the width of another link with a set of calipers, then I press the masterlink plate to that same dimension. That way you get proper crush on the seals.

Edited by CamP
  • Like 1

DID offers a clip-on masterlink for the VT2. They run about $8. You will need a small chain press to install it. Motion Pro sells one for about $8.

When installing the plate, I first measure the width of another link with a set of calipers, then I press the masterlink plate to that same dimension. That way you get proper crush on the seals.

Thanks camp

I would prefer the clip style as it makes servicing the rear wheel a little faster

Camp, how do you clean/ lube this chain, I have been running ERT2's

Camp, how do you clean/ lube this chain, I have been running ERT2's

I use a light chain lube, Liquid Wrench. It's easy to clean. Just spray it with WD40 and let it soak for a few minutes. Then spray it with Shout and let that soak for a few minutes before hosing it off with a garden hose. Don't use a pressure washer on it. After cleaning, I run the bike down the street and this dries the chain and I put it up dry.

I use a light chain lube, Liquid Wrench. It's easy to clean. Just spray it with WD40 and let it soak for a few minutes. Then spray it with Shout and let that soak for a few minutes before hosing it off with a garden hose. Don't use a pressure washer on it. After cleaning, I run the bike down the street and this dries the chain and I put it up dry.

Thanks Camp!

Liquid wrench with the black top( chain lube) or just the regular stuff, do you use a brush at all or just hose with no pressure, I just don't want to ruin a $120 chain

Thanks Camp!

Liquid wrench with the black top( chain lube) or just the regular stuff, do you use a brush at all or just hose with no pressure, I just don't want to ruin a $120 chain

I occasionally use a toothbrush on the stubborn gunk, but most of the time it gets clean with just a spray nozzle on the garden hose. Just use a nozzle that allows a fan spray. Direct high pressure water can penetrate the seals.

Here's the Liquid Wrench lube I use. Runs $3.99 a can at Autozone.

7070748_rad_l711_pri_larg.jpg

Idk about you but I take my wheel of to do things like change tire, sprockets, bearings and rotors Havering a clip master link just saves a little time

remove axle and axle blocks to release tension, move wheel forward, take chain off sprocket.

i asked a buddy to take off my wheel for me once and he went for the master link. i asked him what he was doing and told him he doesnt need to do that, he just kind of stared at me like I didnt know what i was talking about LOL. i told him, its like working on a car with a timing chain, you release tension and take it off, no need to break the chain.

IMO, the less you mess with the master link clip, the better, i dont want to fatigue it and have it come off during a ride.

remove axle and axle blocks to release tension, move wheel forward, take chain off sprocket.

i asked a buddy to take off my wheel for me once and he went for the master link. i asked him what he was doing and told him he doesnt need to do that, he just kind of stared at me like I didnt know what i was talking about LOL. i told him, its like working on a car with a timing chain, you release tension and take it off, no need to break the chain.

IMO, the less you mess with the master link clip, the better, i dont want to fatigue it and have it come off during a ride.

Will I have to peen over the pins at all or is just pressing it on good enough, I dk if I trust these type of "master links" versus the clip style

I never take the master link off unless I am replacing the chain or counter sprocket, just roll it off and let it hang.  If you use the link that came with the chain you have to have a chain anvil, not the same as the O-ring press which by the way is a waste of money.  I just use the clip type, put it together with seals and give it a little squeeze with the need nose vise grips and slip the clip on.  Do not spread the little clip, it goes on over the first pin then straing onto the next pin (inline with the chain) from the side, clip has a V cut in it spreads as it goes around the pin.  take it off the same way drive it straight in line with the chain using a good flat blade screw driver and the palm hammer.  If you use the rivet type you have to use the anvil to pean the ends of the pins as that's what holds the side plate on.

Edited by ramjetV8

Will I have to peen over the pins at all or is just pressing it on good enough, I dk if I trust these type of "master links" versus the clip style

You must use a proper tool to peen the pins. The one I have costs over $100. Just get a clip-on style master and a cheap Motion Pro chain press. Use the chain press. Using pliers or  vise grips is halfassed.

Also, do not use a screw driver and hammer to install or remove the retaining clip. The best way simply involves a pair of sharp pliers.

Install clip:

chain004.jpg

Remove clip:

chain002.jpg

Edited by CamP