New bike

Hey guys i was wondering if you could give me some advice on which bike to buy. I am 119 pounds and 5'6. I want a ktm 105 xc but i dont think i can afford it would a kx100 be a reliable and trail ready bike? thanks

The kx100 or 105xc are not trail ready bikes. They are high strung mx bikes. They have narrow power bands, which makes them harder to ride on trails. That said, it can be done. I myself rode a 105sx on trails for a couple years. But, with a couple simple mods, such as a flywheel weight, they can be made much more trail friendly.

At 5'6, I would probably be looking for a full size bike though. I'm not sure how much experience you have, or what/where you're riding, but I would recommend either a 125 2t for mx track, or a 200/220 for trails. If you don't have much experience, I would consider a crf/ttr 230. Its a very mild 4 stroke, thats great for trails!

On a side note, where in ON are you located?

Tnx I was goin to prob put a flywheel weight on the bikes but I don't think the rm250 crf230 that stuff would work because I don't think I would be able to pick them up because they r so heavy. On that note, I was thinking of getting an old yz125 and fixing it up. I am fairly new to biking I used to have a kx65 and a jr 80 in 2010-11. I am going to take on mainly trail riding but some motocross to. Thnx man

The kx100 or 105xc are not trail ready bikes. They are high strung mx bikes. They have narrow power bands, which makes them harder to ride on trails. That said, it can be done. I myself rode a 105sx on trails for a couple years. But, with a couple simple mods, such as a flywheel weight, they can be made much more trail friendly.

At 5'6, I would probably be looking for a full size bike though. I'm not sure how much experience you have, or what/where you're riding, but I would recommend either a 125 2t for mx track, or a 200/220 for trails. If you don't have much experience, I would consider a crf/ttr 230. Its a very mild 4 stroke, thats great for trails!

On a side note, where in ON are you located?

105 xc is a woods bike. I have a 250 xc (yes i know completely different but trying to prove a point) and i race harescrambles. I have my with the red powervalve spring and if you dont know ktms that means its opening as quick as it will to get on the pipe. I also have changed the pipe. I put a gnarly on it to help in tight stuff and a power core 2 so it will scream. Xc's are a lot tamer out the box

I just don't know if I can afford a 105 I think I may get a kx100 then just put some mods on it to make it trail friendly. If I waited a while I guess I could save up a lot for the 105

105 xc is a woods bike. I have a 250 xc (yes i know completely different but trying to prove a point) and i race harescrambles. I have my with the red powervalve spring and if you dont know ktms that means its opening as quick as it will to get on the pipe. I also have changed the pipe. I put a gnarly on it to help in tight stuff and a power core 2 so it will scream. Xc's are a lot tamer out the box

The 105xc is a 105sx with a kickstand. They also don't have an adjustable power valve, and gnarly's aren't available for them. The minis are totally different than the full size bikes.

I'm sure the kx100 will be a great choice! It will surely teach you many things: clutch control, throttle control, etc. As long as you maintain it, it will last a while. One thing I found between the 105 and the kx is that the kx100 is more cramped, everything feels more close together. But you get used to it fast, so its not to big of a problem.

The 105xc is a 105sx with a kickstand. They also don't have an adjustable power valve, and gnarly's aren't available for them. The minis are totally different than the full size bikes.

I'm sure the kx100 will be a great choice! It will surely teach you many things: clutch control, throttle control, etc. As long as you maintain it, it will last a while. One thing I found between the 105 and the kx is that the kx100 is more cramped, everything feels more close together. But you get used to it fast, so its not to big of a problem.

like i said to prove a point mines hits harder then a stock sx. So mine point is its all rider preference. The suspension is also different and tranny is semi closed on the xc

Of course I would love to have a ktm but I had a Kawi before and I know that they r bulletproof also the parts r cheaper than the ktms, as well as the whole bike being cheaper than the ktms. And as you said the Kawi would teach me great throttle control. R there any other trail and motocross friendly bikes u know of that r under 200 pounds?

Are you only looking for a 2 stroke?

hmm,  a crf150f would be good, or a ttr230.         If you want a 2 stroke, i'd just recommend a 125.  a 100 would be fine but you will grow out of it and be wanting a bigger / faster bike within a year's time max.

How much are you willing to spend ?

Probably up to 1700 I'm probably going to get a kx 125 or yz 125 I tried out a kx100 last night and it was to small. I'm sticking with the two strokes the 4 strokes are to heavy and I really like the feel of two strokes

Scratch that my max would be about 2300

I'm not sure where in ON you are, but $2300 will easily get you a very good condition 125 2 stroke. Maybe even look for a ktm 200, as it would be a lot better on trails

Is the 200 a two stroke?

People are so up on buying flywheel weights for stuff that from reading a lot of these posts, it's almost as if you cannot ride a 2 stroke on a trail without one. I love riding a 2 stroke on the trails without a flywheel weight, I find it to be a lot of fun and I find a flywheel weight takes a lot of the 2 stroke factor out of the equation, making it feel like your just riding a lighter 4 stroke.

KX100's are great bikes, if you can afford one go look for a good used one and buy it. "Fixing up" a bike is never a good idea, you will never get back what you have into the bike and you can buy one often for much less then what it takes to build. A prime example of that is my truck, I have over $15,000 into restoring it but it's still only worth about half that, maybe less. Get the best used kx100 you can afford and enjoy.

The kx100 is too small

IMO I would never put a flywheel weight on my 125 or anything smaller like my brothers 85. The power just isn't that crazy. Look for a good used 125, and you could get a really nice one for $2000 and keep a few hundred for future use such as consumables like sprockets and top ends and such. Maybe a good set of hand guards if it doesn't already have them.

Here's mine I bought in June for $1700 and then put hand guards on it and got the suspension set for free by our local shop for woods riding. I couldn't be happier with it.

1381624315894.jpg

Is the 200 a two stroke?

Yep! (a quick google search can confirm this :))

Also, a flywheel weight does not suppress the power, but it adds inertia to the engine, making it less prone to stall. This, if the weight is huge, will make the engine much more sluggish. With a normal weight though, it makes a small difference in spooling up.

On a completely unrelated note, sweet looking bike nholden!

Thanks! I have a few other goodies on the way for it before the upcoming race ;)