Sign in to follow this  

SM front brake caliper upgrade?

I want to upgrade the front brake caliper on my SM. I'm happy to stay with the stock brake disk, but want to get a 4-piston caliper (and I guess a new master cylinder, if necessary to work with the new caliper). I see a bunch of options on Motostrano, but they all seem to fit just the S/E models, and not the SM. Apparently QTM used to sell a Brembo brake caliper that would work, but it looks like now QTM only sells Harley parts. So what would be my options here?

Are there any brake kits for the SM that replace the stock brake caliper? I see kits that include a larger disk and relocate the stock caliper, but that seems kinda pointless with the stock sliding-pin caliper. 

I believe Backyard Hack did an upgrade to his front caliper, he should chime in shortly...

Have you tried a braided line first ?, that makes a significant difference ....

Personally I found the stock front SM brake ok for general use, stoppies were no problem.... :devil:

I attempted an upgrade but I was sent the wrong parts by ( no name )

I ended up using the steel line and OEM pads

Oh yes I do recall now... :cheers:

To the OP...Maybe send Eddie S an email, I believe he can supply these 4 pot caliper upgrades..  :)

I went to a four pot caliper on my Vee Strom and the stock master cylinder was up to the task. No need for an upgrade.

The Vee was a little weak in the front brake department, what a difference in braking going to a four.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Ron W.

Wheeling Cycle Supply has these. Wheeling also has a very good reputation.

I did braid lines first on my DRZ, and found my brakes still lacking. I swapped to a CBR master cylinder and am very happy. It made a huge difference, even with the stock caliper.

• Like 2

I did braid lines first on my DRZ, and found my brakes still lacking. I swapped to a CBR master cylinder and am very happy. It made a huge difference, even with the stock caliper.

I found the same improvement with a master cyl upgrade only and with the stock caliper.  I used a Katana 14mm master cyl.  Do a search on Katana master and you should find more info.  With good pads, a steel line and a master cylinder upgrade, it will be a HUGE difference from stock.

• Like 1

I found the same improvement with a master cyl upgrade only and with the stock caliper.  I used a Katana 14mm master cyl.  Do a search on Katana master and you should find more info.  With good pads, a steel line and a master cylinder upgrade, it will be a HUGE difference from stock.

And the master cylinder is much cheaper than these aftermarket calipers.

• Like 1

gniewko

I have a 320mm disc and relocation bracket for the calliper, it will of course use the standard calliper set up but the braking efficiency is really about the increase in diameter (turning moments in reverse). Let me know if you are interested ?

gniewko

I have a 320mm disc and relocation bracket for the calliper, it will of course use the standard calliper set up but the braking efficiency is really about the increase in diameter (turning moments in reverse). Let me know if you are interested ?

I'm more after feel than outright power, so I want to go with a 4-piston caliper...

Will the Katana master fit with handguards? I've seen photos that look like it would fit, but I don't know if the handguards were modified in any way.

That caliper looks like it might be what I need. I just wonder if it will work with stock spoked wheels, and with the stock brake disk. I'll give those guys a call.

That caliper looks like it might be what I need. I just wonder if it will work with stock spoked wheels, and with the stock brake disk. I'll give those guys a call.

It will fit fine with their mounting bracket,.... good idea to confirm

Will the Katana master fit with handguards? I've seen photos that look like it would fit, but I don't know if the handguards were modified in any way.

I have some KTM guards that I use and they are fine.  The Katana master is bigger than the original DRZ master.

DRZ_2-5-12%2520ktm%2520guards_sm.jpg

Before spending money on the caliper and bracket, I would suggest a steel line and the Katana master or one that is similar.  I picked up a master for about $25.00 delivered from eBay.  I ran the Katana master with the stock caliper for a couple of weeks before I changed the wheels and went to a 4 piston brake.  The improvement that the master made with the stock caliper was significant, much more than going from a stock line to a steel one.  I wished I would have done that much sooner.

• Like 1

I'm more after feel than outright power, so I want to go with a 4-piston caliper...

For feel, I really think a master cylinder is going to do much more than you think, and still be a fraction of the cost.

For me the 600RR master cylinder on my DRZ with the DRZ lever makes my brakes feel better than my R6.  I tried the CBR lever, but preferred the feel / stiffness of the DRZ lever.

For feel, I really think a master cylinder is going to do much more than you think, and still be a fraction of the cost.

For me the 600RR master cylinder on my DRZ with the DRZ lever makes my brakes feel better than my R6.  I tried the CBR lever, but preferred the feel / stiffness of the DRZ lever.

Hmm good point, maybe I'll try the master cylinder + steel line first. It sounds like I'd want those anyway, even if I eventually end up going with a 4-piston caliper. Does the 600RR master cylinder have a brake light switch that can easily plug into the DRZ wiring harness? Or would a Katana MC be better for that reason?

Hmm good point, maybe I'll try the master cylinder + steel line first. It sounds like I'd want those anyway, even if I eventually end up going with a 4-piston caliper. Does the 600RR master cylinder have a brake light switch that can easily plug into the DRZ wiring harness? Or would a Katana MC be better for that reason?

Most motorcycle master cylinders use the same kind of brake light switch connector, some just use spade terminals, so it's easy enough to make it work. The 600RR master cylinder I used had the correct brake light switch.

I had to make a modification to the DRZ lever (drill and tap a hole in it for the brake light switch) to make it work right. If you are using the CBR / 600RR lever this won't be an issue, it's pretty much a bolt on. I tried the 600RR lever and it has more leverage, almost feels like power brakes. However I preferred the stiffer lever the DRZ lever gave me so I switched back. With the CBR lever I would say the lever pull is lighter than stock, too mushy for me.

Any ideas about what I should do with the mirror if I replace the stock master cylinder? That's where the attachment point for the mirror is. Is my best bet simply getting aftermarket mirrors that attach directly to the handlebars?