Sign in to follow this  

should i snag this bike or run like hell?

Assume the motor is toast and go from there. If the rebuild was done right it would run. Pretty simple. As it sits it's way over priced. Looks clapped out to me.

Really? If he has receipts and it turns over what is it worth?

What makes you say it's clapped

Problem is no matter what receipts they have it still doesn't run for an unknown reason.

Tires are shot, suspension has valving stickers. All combined it would appear any "racing" numbers or decals have been removed. One vague pic of the bike. I say it was raced hard and not maintained well.

Well you could bring a few tools and do a compression test and possibly even pull the vavle cover off and inspect.  Its a risk but you just never know, too many yahoos working on bikes these days.

Agreed, If not running , then you should be..............

• Like 2

Looks like a good deal of aftermarket parts, from the Hinson CC, FMF pipe, Acerbis Seat and looks to be a aftermarket upper triple clamp... So it makes me curious that they kinda know what their doing, but don't want to take the time to fix it... Probably because the problem is bigger then what bit appears...

• Like 2

Possibly but I had a couple friends put a new piston in a yz250f and they couldn't get the timing right so they had a mechanic set it.  Could be something similar, if you decide to go just bring a few tools and look carefully.

call and ask if they have the title...if they say no....hang up.

Ok I will call and ask

Ask yourself "what if"

As in what if the motor is 100% toast, can you part it out and make up your money? Can you put a new engine in it for less than a running bike would cost? My friend just sold his running 09 KXF for $3000.

Ask yourself "what if"

As in what if the motor is 100% toast, can you part it out and make up your money? Can you put a new engine in it for less than a running bike would cost? My friend just sold his running 09 KXF for $3000.

Like what if the engine is toast and I throw in a 250 2stroke engine

By the time he lets you pull the valve cover off (if he will even do that most people would not) and check the timing, he's 75% of the way their to just fixing the timing himself. Something else is Most likely wrong.

Agreed run if he built the motor but can't figure out timing then i would assume An oring is missing or things were not torqued or something. 1700 for an 09 with a brand new motor... Logically he should pay a mechanic 100 bucks to time it then sell for 3000... Its to shady

So I have called/ texted this guy 4 times all together with no response so I'm running like hell