Sign in to follow this  

Wheel Hub/Rim Question

Just a quick question, would a wheel hub that is currently laced to a 19 inch rim be capable of being torn down and re-laced to a 18 inch rim? Of course different spokes would be needed, but would the same hub work for both?

Thanks

Edited by motonack

sure will. just make sure the spokes you get work with your hub and new rim. some spokes or rims are brand specific.

Absolutely! You don't even need to get new spokes. Just get a die, cut new threads onto your spokes, and cut the excess off, then thread the die off the spoke.

Part of me agrees with you, but factory cut threads have always seemed to be stronger, beefier threads than those cut by my tap-die set.  I would get new spokes..

First, do a spoke count. Not all rims are 36 spoke

Next, does the hub have angled cuts for the spokes? Some do. If you try to use a smaller rim, the angles will change and the spokje not fit into the cuts, lending to spoke failure.

Cutting spokes and making new threads does not work. Spoke threads are rolled and the threaded area is larger tha the unthreaded areas. Also, many spokes are tapered, excaberating this issue.

If you provide bike information and which wheel, you can see if the manufacturer has ever done a rim swap on that hub.

I had to replace a couple spokes on my KTM Supermoto wheels. All I had was 19" spokes, so I figured why not. It worked just fine.

Edited by 717 MOTORSPORTS

am i just confused with the original post? to me it looks like hes questioning if he can still use his stock hub, not spokes?

am i just confused with the original post? to me it looks like hes questioning if he can still use his stock hub, not spokes?

Correct.

Sometimes you can, sometimes you cannot. Depends on angle cuts in the hub and spoke count.

Some do cheap out and try to cut/rethread old spokes. Not the right way to do things.

i never thought a person would try to reuse spokes for a smaller rim. i kept as many as i could when i did new rims/spokes just to keep some for spares down the road. but never thought of cutting and threading them, sounds like a scary ending

Buy a rim and MATCHING spoke kit, lace her up, true and tight. OR go to a wheel builder and pay them to do it for you, no mistakes that way. My "builder" even warrants the work, he'll re-true my wheel whenever I need it for free (lifetime)  :ride: