New Rider . . . Transmission Issues

Just got my DRZ-400 about 3 weeks ago (1000 miles on it) and hopefully have not just destroyed my transmission. I accidentally let go of the clutch (quickly) while riding about 10mph in first gear. This killed the engine and bike stopped. No gear grinding or funny noises, I just killed it. Now the transmission is acting strange. I can only get into first gear and then it will skip all the way up to either 4th or 5th gear (I cant tell which one). Neutral I can get to but it seems to slip past this much easier then before. Hopefully have not destroyed transmission and will need a new one ??  Done a little reading and maybe I have just messed up the stopper plate?? Any thoughts, might this be something someones who's modestly mechanically inclined be able to fix on my own? How difficult is it to get to the transmission on these bikes, if I open it up? 

Can you more clearly explain how you stalled the engine? Riding in 1st gear at 10mph, the clutch should already be out. Are you sure you were in 1st gear?

Was in first gear, about to shift into second.

Was in first gear, about to shift into second.

So you released the clutch after attempting the shift to 2nd?

Yes that's it.

So if you try shifting through the gears with the bike no running on a stand, you don't have all 5 gears.... right?  I would probably start by removing the right side cover and inspecting the gear shift mechanism (gear shift shaft, arm stopper pawl lifter, spring and cam driven gear) behind clutch hub.

I will take a look. . . . thanks

Is this a new bike? If so, why not take it in to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. If you start taking taking the engine apart they will probably deny a warranty claim.

Is this a new bike? If so, why not take it in to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. If you start taking taking the engine apart they will probably deny a warranty claim.

+1 if new, bring it back.

1: Normally, stalling the bike with clutch, or on terrain will not cause any issues....ever.

2: If your trying to shift the bike with motor off and back wheel not moving.. that's at least part of the issue.. a motorcycle transmission needs to have some rotation of the gears and shafts to shift correctly.. try shifting will rolling the bike forward and letting the clutch out...if that works out go ride the bike and shift normally....see what happens.

3: If you still feel it's not shifting properly and this is NOT a new bike under warranty .. check the shift level where it connects to the shaft and make sure it's tight (the small fastener does not need to be cranked down hard on a OEM or correctly fitting aftermarket shift lever.. just make sure it's snug and the level is pinched tight on the shaft)

4: If still not shifting right, then like mentioned above remove the right cover and inspect the shifter components, as well as poke around in the case with a small magnet on a stick... see if you can find any chunks...If still nothing, drain the oil from the motor and see what comes out..