Sign in to follow this  

Thinking I need a supermoto..

I had one a few years ago. It was a yz426 sm, the thing ran awesome but was sold when I did a full rebuild but got a size smaller piston( didn't think and didn't measure the bore or piston, I know STUPID) however it grenaded and I sold the frame with the motor. But now I want another one. I saw a wr450 sm and think that would be sweet. I almost bought a plated cr500 AF supermoto a few months back but didn't. Now I'm thinking that would be sweet! I want power. Light weight. Either yamaha or Honda as I'm not a fan of Suzuki or Kawasaki, KTMs aren't too bad I've owned a few and liked them. So what do you guys think any Ktm yamaha or Honda?

I also had a supermoto grenade on me, it really sucked, was my (old) mechanics fault for adjusting the valves too tight.

One thing I learned about supermotos is the kind of abuse they take. Any type of motocross bike/enduro bike doesn't make the best candidate simply because of the engine design. A factory SM or dual sport conversion which is designed for street use will last longer and be more reliable. the MX/enduro bike conversions work, but they need lots of maintenance attention and if they don't blow up on you, your rebuilding it often.

That being said, I had a TC610 SM conversion set up pretty damn well for the street, what a fun bike. It must have been a pig for the dirt but made an amazing bike for the road, tons of power and still very nimble. Always wanted a 610SM because of it, but one thing I learned about huskys is they like to break and getting parts sucks. I'm sure the newer ones are much better, but still I'm a little leary of their company.

380201_10151766024870697_11936683_n.jpg

• Like 1

I also had a supermoto grenade on me, it really sucked, was my (old) mechanics fault for adjusting the valves too tight.

One thing I learned about supermotos is the kind of abuse they take. Any type of motocross bike/enduro bike doesn't make the best candidate simply because of the engine design. A factory SM or dual sport conversion which is designed for street use will last longer and be more reliable. the MX/enduro bike conversions work, but they need lots of maintenance attention and if they don't blow up on you, your rebuilding it often.

That being said, I had a TC610 SM conversion set up pretty damn well for the street, what a fun bike. It must have been a pig for the dirt but made an amazing bike for the road, tons of power and still very nimble. Always wanted a 610SM because of it, but one thing I learned about huskys is they like to break and getting parts sucks. I'm sure the newer ones are much better, but still I'm a little leary of their company.

Posted Image

yea the MX bikes do work hard when moving at a steady 60+mph but boy are they fun! LOL. I'm considering a wr450f then converting as I saw a guy do this on YouTube and he said its exceeds the drz400sm in every way. ( he has one also) and I'm sure the wr won't be much differnt then the yz426 sm I had but idk what way to go yet ! I was considering one if the big bore KTMs.

I always wanted a motard, from way back when when it was just a Euro hobby. However when I decided to jump into this offroad hobby, a regular plain Jane MX bike was the best way to go ride with friends.

I am however feeling the bug just like the OP. Just educating myself as thoroughly as I can first though. Aiming to have one next year. Wouldn't mind a CRF-X base though and keep things in the fam. I also don't have to worry about the same restrictions to make an MX/Enduro bike street legal as you guys would have to. Yay.

I always wanted a motard, from way back when when it was just a Euro hobby. However when I decided to jump into this offroad hobby, a regular plain Jane MX bike was the best way to go ride with friends.

I am however feeling the bug just like the OP. Just educating myself as thoroughly as I can first though. Aiming to have one next year. Wouldn't mind a CRF-X base though and keep things in the fam. I also don't have to worry about the same restrictions to make an MX/Enduro bike street legal as you guys would have to. Yay.

crf x would be rad. I'm definitely going wr450f. Only problem is I just recently bought the new 2014. Yz250f and the same day I bought a left over 2011 yz250f.. LOL. Either gotta sell my cr250 or my xr400 or my R1. Probly sell the R1..

I ride an '09 TE510 in the desert during the winter, then swap wheels and kickstand and it's a Supermoto the rest of the year. 2 bikes in 1 and have zero complaints. It was about an extra $1,100 for the SM setup, but takes about 30 minutes to swap over and well worth it.

Mine is an 04 525sx with the 6 speed trans conversion. FUN BIKE!!!! I need to get another front master,and line. PAIN IN THE ASS switching brake systems!

ktm 525 001.JPG

Edited by 717 MOTORSPORTS

Mine is an 04 525sx with the 6 speed trans conversion. FUN BIKE!!!! I need to get another front master,and line. PAIN IN THE ASS switching brake systems!

attachicon.gifktm 525 001.JPG

You have to use different calipers? I just use a different caliper mount that mounts it further away from the axle to accommodate the larger rotor.

You have to use different calipers? I just use a different caliper mount that mounts it further away from the axle to accommodate the larger rotor.

The mount has nothing to do with anything. It's bleeding the system that sucks!!! Takes forever!!! and then some. When it's all bled up though, all you need to do is lay your fingers on the lever, and move them. Squeeze it, especially at low speeds, and you'll probably be on your face

So glad some hotshot mod decided to use his powers, and move this from the general discussion....insert sarcasm smily right f'n here X

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ktm 525 001.JPG

that looks bad ass. I dig it. How much for the conversion on that specific bike? Or did you but it already converted ?

there is a husky 410 locally for $1650, SM and dirt setup. 

if you want a bike with tons of parts available and good prices. get a ktm. 

also wr426/450s make very reliable street sm's.  I wouldnt take any SM for long stretches on the highway, but they are good.  not DRZ reliable good, but very good.  Im not sure about the honda 450x.  Seen a lot of those but dont have any first hand knowledge of their reliability.  Lots of 650R models as well if you can find one legal. 

Really you just have to think what you really want to do with the bike and that will help. 

Oh, I see. Both my dirt and street rotors are within .003 thickness of each other, so no bleeding required.

That has nothing to do with it either. My caliper is a billet KTM racing 4 piston. The stock SX caliper is cast 2 piston, and way smaller the that big fat orange unit

that looks bad ass. I dig it. How much for the conversion on that specific bike? Or did you but it already converted ?

I bought the bike with the 6 speed done, and the road legal ownership. It was however not road worthy. Still was a 100% mx bike. I bought the bike from the guy for a real good price, but left the SM wheels behind, as I didn't really want them. But then a couple weeks later I got the bug, and gave him a grand for the wheels and brakes. The brake caliper alone is worth over $500! I built the wiring harness, myself, had the stator wound for lights, and bought the headlight, led tail light, signals, and control unit off a guy for 60 bucks.Made the kickstand myself too. The bike is a lot of fun. Right now it's in dirt trim with full knobbies for bush duty
  • Like 1