Sign in to follow this  

Wr gears - I can't make up my mind

Ok I am sick of searching and reading. I know this is beating a dead horse!

I've got the motor out and am getting ready to split cases. Bad timing I know but I can't ride for the next 2 weeks anyway so its as good a time as any.

I have a Gorr 295 kit w/ mo beta porting waiting to go on and am considering a WR gear set 1-5, 3-5th, or 5th.

I can't make up my mind here. I have never ridden the 295. I love the close ratio but the thing runs out of steam often. My riding here in the NW consists of lots of single track w trips out east to the high desert.

I am afraid a full gear swap will be too much. My concern w the WR gears is the huge gaps. I just hate feeling like I am in between gears. I have read that just the 5th sucks as its like 1-4 then 7th but I am not sure the owner had a 295 kit.

I don't know what to do here?? Any input? A WR 1st is just basically a useless gear as far as I can tell.

Man what to do?

Also the sticky is a dead link and does anyone know or can' anyone point me in the direction of the parts list I would need should I do wr 1-5th gears??

Thanks all. Looking forward to the feedback.

Edited by 650RACER

I have wr 1-5 and Rekluse clutch in my 250 and it never runs out of steam, my eyes water holding on to that thing wide open! 

currently running 14/49 and might drop to a 48. I don't use first gear besides taking off  

I am afraid a full gear swap will be too much. My concern w the WR gears is the huge gaps. I just hate feeling like I am in between gears. I have read that just the 5th sucks as its like 1-4 then 7th but I am not sure the owner had a 295 kit.

I used full WR gears at first. But the huge gap of 1st to 2nd was not acceptable for me. So,I rebuilt gears to 1-3YZ and 4-5WR.

And I've used a EG 295 kit w/ mo beta porting for 2 yaers. I don't think EG295 can make full WR gears to be acceptable for in my use.

My 295 still has the the yz gears, but I can imagine that the WR 1st would be useless in my bike except for hike-a-bike pace trails. If I remember right, the WR 2nd is comparable to the YZ 1st, so you wouldn't be missing much in that case.

I have done this conversion twice.  The 1st time was my '05 YZ285 - I used the complete WR426 gearbox.  I did a 2nd '03 YZ265 last winter; based on the previous experience I used the WR426 gearbox but retained the YZ 2nd gear to close the gap between 2nd and 3rd.  This set of wide and close ratio gears works best for our rocky, rooty single track.  Take a good look at the 2nd gear ratios and y0u'll se what I mean.

Another thought, I just changed 1st and 5th. Wanted more low speed power with less speed in 1st. I usually just use 2nd-4th at most on single track stuff. The 1st is more like a granny gear. My 5th is just for cruzing roads or transfer sections with out screaming the engine. I have a 295 with rekluse etc. Just got it back together but my first impressions were good. The 295 will pull any gear I believe personally.

I would think a 295 should pull a wide ratio without any issues.

I did just the 5th gear and didn't like it. The RPM drop from YZ 4th to WR 5th is pretty huge. Stock gap is is about 1150 rpm if you carry the gear to 9000 rpm. With the WR 5th that gap became almost 2100 rpm.  My bike was not a 295 though. But it was a very modded 250 with more low end and midrange than most (long rod, porting, head mod, etc).

I have done this conversion twice.  The 1st time was my '05 YZ285 - I used the complete WR426 gearbox.  I did a 2nd '03 YZ265 last winter; based on the previous experience I used the WR426 gearbox but retained the YZ 2nd gear to close the gap between 2nd and 3rd.  This set of wide and close ratio gears works best for our rocky, rooty single track.  Take a good look at the 2nd gear ratios and y0u'll se what I mean.

How was the jump from 1st to 2nd with this setup?

I used full WR gears at first. But the huge gap of 1st to 2nd was not acceptable for me. So,I rebuilt gears to 1-3YZ and 4-5WR.

And I've used a EG 295 kit w/ mo beta porting for 2 yaers. I don't think EG295 can make full WR gears to be acceptable for in my use.

Hi there,

Any chance you still have the wr shafts for a yz250 transmission? I ride some nasty enduro type stuff and would love to try a lower 1st and 2nd gear.

How was the jump from 1st to 2nd with this setup?

The YZ285 used the entire WR426 trans - the 2nd to 3rd gap was to far.  The YZ265 used everything from the WR426 except 2nd gear; the YZ 2nd gear fixed the wide gap in the WR426 trans. 

Edited by kenpowell

Guys thanks for all the replies.  I am still stuck on what to do as its been forever since I have ridden a WR anything and I have zero experience w/ the 295.  Right now I am thinking a 3-5th will be the way to go.  I will be pretty bummed though if I have some big feeling gap from the yz 2nd to wr 3rd as this is where the bike spends most of its time as a 250.  I guess its a bit of a crap shoot.

Thanks

I used full WR gears at first. But the huge gap of 1st to 2nd was not acceptable for me. So,I rebuilt gears to 1-3YZ and 4-5WR.

And I've used a EG 295 kit w/ mo beta porting for 2 yaers. I don't think EG295 can make full WR gears to be acceptable for in my use.

Is it really possible to use a YZ 1-3 and a WR 4-5??? I was under the impression it was 1-5, 3-5, or 5th for the WR gears...

Is it really possible to use a YZ 1-3 and a WR 4-5??? I was under the impression it was 1-5, 3-5, or 5th for the WR gears...

Oh, it's my mistake. YZ1-2 and 3-5WR are correct. Sorry to be confused.

Hi there,

Any chance you still have the wr shafts for a yz250 transmission? I ride some nasty enduro type stuff and would love to try a lower 1st and 2nd gear.

They may be somewhere in my garage. I don't have any plane to use them. If you want to try, I'll find them.

But, there is a problem. I'm living in Japan. The shipping cost to you will be $50 or more.

I'm not sure it can be good deal for you or not. PM me if still you need them.

I ride mostly very technical terrain, mostly 1st and 2nd gear, some man-handling and vert climbs, kept the 1st/2nd YZ, used the 3rfd/4th/5th WR450 gears, relieved and polished, yz shift drum with polished shift tracks.... goes ok, wouldn't like it with the WR as I hate WR low gears that enduros run, as you always seem to have a neither here nor there gear ratio....

'mind you like Ghill, it's in a 325 lectroned with a recluse.......

final ratio is 15/51

I owned a 01 wr250f and hated the tranny. The engine could not maintain peak momentum from the noticable rpm drop between gears. 1-2 was ok but 2-3 was like a dog. In fact many of the wr guys were swapping to the yz gear set back in the early 2000's ! (the grass is always greener on the other side). I would keep the yz gears and just experiment with different countershaft sprockets suited to each terrain circumstance. Trans gear swaps is in-depth and permanant, countershaft sprockets are not !

Edited by Polar_Bus

Does anyone know where to get wr 426 gears!? I rode my buddies 250 with the 426 3-4-5 gears amd that thing was a rocket! Clocked at 95mph. I cant find any wr trans on ebay anywhere. Help!!