My bike never wants to start cold...

Hey guys so its starting to annoy me that my 350 never wants to start up when I unload it to start riding. it will turn over forever without starting. a tiny bit of starter fluid in the air box and it starts up immediately. after that its fine. Starts up hot first try.

Its not the valves, i just had those adjusted ( 1 intake valve was barely out of spec after 60 hrs.)

The fuel adjustment knob or choke if you like, doesnt seem to help at all

So... any ideas ?

You need to get the user setting tool and likely add 5% more fuel to idle maybe more.

Nothing else is going to fix it.

Has it always been like that or it has started to do this over time? If its gradually become harder to start I would clean or replace the injector.

Has it always been like that or it has started to do this over time? If its gradually become harder to start I would clean or replace the injector.

its been like this for a while

Hey guys so its starting to annoy me that my 350 never wants to start up when I unload it to start riding. it will turn over forever without starting. a tiny bit of starter fluid in the air box and it starts up immediately. after that its fine. Starts up hot first try.

Its not the valves, i just had those adjusted ( 1 intake valve was barely out of spec after 60 hrs.)

The fuel adjustment knob or choke if you like, doesnt seem to help at all (should I try turning it to add more fuel?)

So... any ideas ?

The fuel adjustment knob or choke if you like, doesnt seem to help at all (should I try turning it to add more fuel?)

So... any ideas ?

what kind of bike

350..im taking a wild guess here...id say KTM

350..im taking a wild guess here...id say KTM

as would I, unless it's older.

Mine did that exact same thing when I put an exhaust on there ...  annoying as hell.

Where in FL are you?

I learned to just turn it over a few times and walk away. Let it sit for a few minutes while I get everything else ready. Normally fires right off after that. Mechanic said it has to do with the fuel pump pressurizing the system. It was his recommendation to just bump the starter a few times before getting all my gear on. Works great! You might give it a shot!

I always give the starter a lil blip. Then crank it over. You can hear the pump run for a few secs, then stop. To me that's a form of priming, and it does seem help it start a bit quicker.

Tilt the bike after you turn the petcock on for five seconds.

its a 2012 350 . there is no petcock

Mine did that exact same thing when I put an exhaust on there ...  annoying as hell.

Where in FL are you?

I just put an FMF 4.1 on mine and now that u mention it, it seems to have gotten worse since i put it on. I'm in fort myers you?

From what I understand you shouldn't be using starting fluid.....

That being said, when was the last time you had the injector cleaned?

It needs fuel. .. I'm in ft. Lauderdale. .. planning a trip to east bay on the 19- 20th.

Let me know if you make it that way. .. I'll bring my ust.

Edited by steve841

It needs fuel. .. I'm in ft. Lauderdale. .. planning a trip to east bay on the 19- 20th. Let me know if you make it that way. .. I'll bring my ust.

is that what you did to yours? ill try and get out there. ive seen some videos it looks real fun.

From what I understand you shouldn't be using starting fluid.....

That being said, when was the last time you had the injector cleaned?

Never. bike has 68 hrs on it.

I would clean the injector....

Look on YouTube as there are some great videos. All you need is a 9v battery, 2 short wires, a 8mm to remove the injector and some brake cleaner.... The whole job should only take about 10min at most...

Edited by originalmonk

Does your bike pop at all coming off the throttle?  Installed an akro pipe on my bike and had to add 7% more fuel to idle and also increased the fuel % throughout the whole rpm range with the UST.  Bike runs great.

Hows the riding in Ft. Myers. Have a place in Naples and just returned.  Saw some trails along 75.....

Does your bike pop at all coming off the throttle?  Installed an akro pipe on my bike and had to add 7% more fuel to idle and also increased the fuel % throughout the whole rpm range with the UST.  Bike runs great.

Hows the riding in Ft. Myers. Have a place in Naples and just returned.  Saw some trails along 75.....

no, no pop but i think it does need more fuel like you said. I want my bike to be running "great" like you say. how do i figure out how mufh more fuel i need? will it increase my consumption considerably?