Rebuilding 400E, Shifter not Shifting, Transmission not put in correctly?

Finished re-assembling a 400E that I was rebuilding for a class. I got the engine back in the bike and *then* tried out the shifter. (Lesson learned, check shifting before putting the engine back in the bike.) Couldn't shift at all. It felt frozen. So... took of the clutch cover and side cover, clutch assembly, and realized the pawl lifter wasn't seated correctly. Took that out again and aligned correctly, put it back in, then the gear shifting arm, clutch assembly, and covers.

Cool. Now with the shifter peddle in place, tried it out again. I can shift up and down. But... it doesn't stop either up nor down. Meaning, I can go down as much as I want. This doesn't seem right :)

What did I do that I need to do? :confused:

Cool. Now with the shifter peddle in place, tried it out again. I can shift up and down. But... it doesn't stop either up nor down. Meaning, I can go down as much as I want. This doesn't seem right :)

What did I do that I need to do? :confused:

Not sure I understand what your seeing / saying . 

By "it doesn't stop either up nor down." are you saying the will rotate full circle.. all the way around??? Or that you can move it in it's normal travel of just a few deg up or down, but the transmission does not seem to go though the gears and STOP at 1st or 5th?

​If the later... are you turning the countershaft in a forward direction (like the bike was moving forward as in use) while trying to shift? 

Not sure I understand what your seeing / saying . 

By "it doesn't stop either up nor down." are you saying the will rotate full circle.. all the way around??? Or that you can move it in it's normal travel of just a few deg up or down, but the transmission does not seem to go though the gears and STOP at 1st or 5th?

​If the later... are you turning the countershaft in a forward direction (like the bike was moving forward as in use) while trying to shift? 

Latter! Ah, no I wasn't moving the countershaft at all. Derp. You'd think after seeing how the driven gear assembly connected to everything that I'd figure that one out :-/  Your clutch explanation also just helped cement a lot of this in my think skull :)

Before testing out engine ignition, do you think it's better to manually turn the crank to engage the countershaft or to push the bike?

either way... if the motor is in and chain on.. just roll the bike back and forth letting the clutch out while shifting.  Or rotate the countershaft by hand if the motor is still on the bench

Well, it does shift into first! And, after the rebuilt, it did start after a pop or so. But... the sound doesn't sound good. I don't have a mechanics ear to diagnose what's going on. Compared to my SM, the E has a rattle-like sound that is seemingly in time with the piston. I double-checked the timing chain and sprocket alignment, so I don't think it's necessarily valve timing. I did reuse the previous piston rings... maybe that? Just guessing at this point.

The bike has coolant and oil, checked after it first started and topped it off. Outside of my first engine rebuild (attempt), the only thing I added was a kick-starter. Could it be the decompression valve?

You need somebody looking over your shoulder to help you.  Since you have a complete disassembly/reassembly there could be any of 50 things wrong. Too much to diagnose here.

You need somebody looking over your shoulder to help you.  Since you have a complete disassembly/reassembly there could be any of 50 things wrong. Too much to diagnose here.

+1....

+2 :ride: