Sign in to follow this  

Motocross New classes at MXDN

when is the F I M gonna get real and drop the 500 class at MXDN

i mean everyone rides 450s  why not have a 125 or 250 2 smoker class

it seems ridiculous

For 2014 they did.  Next year the MX3 Open class is going to be a 300cc 2 stroke class (actually 200cc min ~ 300cc max).  Not sure who's going to race MX3 for the US next year.

• Like 1

For 2014 they did.  Next year the MX3 Open class is going to be a 300cc 2 stroke class (actually 200cc min ~ 300cc max).  Not sure who's going to race MX3 for the US next year.

That is for the GP series. Does that make it for Des Nations also?

I hope so.  It would be more interesting than 2 450 classes.  

• Like 1

Are we really gonna be able to get top riders on a 2 Stroke tho? Not just US but worldwide. Any top rider in Europe will be in the MX1 class for GPs and ride a 4T and there are no top riders in the US on a 2T. I would love to see it happen, but I just don't see the riders going for it.

Are we really gonna be able to get top riders on a 2 Stroke tho? Not just US but worldwide. Any top rider in Europe will be in the MX1 class for GPs and ride a 4T and there are no top riders in the US on a 2T. I would love to see it happen, but I just don't see the riders going for it.

find the best guy willing to ride one, if Dungeys won't hop on a 300sx then start heading down the list.

Probably not. If nobody can get their top riders to ride a 2 stroke, then the class will be full of the best people they can find that will.  At least it will be interesting.

• Like 1

Probably not. If nobody can get their top riders to ride a 2 stroke, then the class will be full of the best people they can find that will.  At least it will be interesting.

thats what I'm saying, it sure would make it interesting. The one thing I don't get is why make it a 200cc minimum, if someone wants to get out there on a tiddler let'em have at it. Brrrraaaapppppp

So:

MX1 Ryan Villopoto

MX2 Eli Tomac

MX3 James Stewart? (Bubba Style)

Might just be a winning team again...

• Like 2

Good question.  I'm inclined to say yes, (according to Wikpedia) the current (2014) engine rule is up to 500cc 2 strokes and 650 4 strokes (soon to be 200 to 300 2 strokes in 2014) but all we see now is 450's as no one makes a competitive bike in any of the other sizes.  So I suspect that we (team USA) will have to have a 300cc rider and they (the FIM) may allow over bored 250 2 strokes just for this race (more on that to come).  Which also means that the selected rider can't be a Honda or Kawasaki rider as they do not even sell a 250 2 stroke on the world market that could be over bored.

Just a quick FYI, taken from Wikpedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motocross_World_Championship

In 2002, the F.I.M. changed the displacement formulas to reflect the changes in engine technology and as a move towards environmentally friendlier four-stroke engines. The new MX1 class became the premier class, allowing two-stroke engines of up to 250cc and four-stroke engines of up to 450cc.[1] The MX2 class allowed two-stroke engines of up to 125cc and four-stroke motors of up to 250cc. The MX3 class allowed two-stroke engines of up to 500cc and four stroke engines of up to 650cc

So:

MX1 Ryan Villopoto

MX2 Eli Tomac

If Dungey and RV are healthy next fall, Dungey is going to be Team USA's MX3 rider on a KTM-300sx.

• Like 2

Could you imagine:  RV and Tomac for mx1 and mx2 and throw Dungey in for mx3 on a 2t!  I think this new 2 stroke class is really going to be interesting.

• Like 2

If Dungey and RV are healthy next fall, Dungey is going to be Team USA's MX3 rider on a KTM-300sx.

How much 2-stroke experience does Dungey have? Most of the new age pros haven't ridden a smoker since the 85 class. For that reason, I bet Stewart would have the easiest time racing. KTM has the bikes, but unless Dungey can ride a smoker at race speed, I doubt DeCoster would want to risk his fastest rider wadding up on a big gap jump because he wasn't accustom to the powerband.

Someone here stated the MXON won't have 300cc smokers. Not in 2104. Makes sense since MX3 is a GP class and MXON is global.

Service Honda has new 250cc CR250AF bikes for sale. Not sure if Honda America would let a factory rider compete on one. They make a KX25af too.

Edited by Kev_XR

So:

MX1 Ryan Villopoto

MX2 Eli Tomac

id rather have try canard or barcia than stewart. now if we go back to the 259 days.....yea no question id pick stewart

How much 2-stroke experience does Dungey have? Most of the new age pros haven't ridden a smoker since the 85 class. For that reason, I bet Stewart would have the easiest time racing. KTM has the bikes, but unless Dungey can ride a smoker at race speed, I doubt DeCoster would want to risk his fastest rider wadding up on a big gap jump because he wasn't accustom to the powerband.

Someone here stated the MXON won't have 300cc smokers. Not in 2104. Makes sense since MX3 is a GP class and MXON is global.

Service Honda has new 250cc CR250AF bikes for sale. Not sure if Honda America would let a factory rider compete on one. They make a KX25af too.

That's a great point, I'm basing my opinion on the fact that KTM makes a 300 2t.  Now if some other rider on a Yamaha or maybe a Suzuki really steps it up and deserves to race in the MX3 class then fine, both YZ & RM 250's can still be purchased and bored to 300.  Honda and Kawasaki do not even sell them anymore so if your on one of those teams then they will not be our MX3 rider.

We won't know until we know, but I still think that with MX3 being a 300cc 2t class then you will see them at the MXoN.  And if he's a factory rider he's going to have to come from a team that still sells 2t at least in the world market which means:  Husky, KTM, Suzuki (bored 250), Yamaha (bored 250), not sure if the exotics are legal for the FIM's world championships (Gas Gas, TM, etc.).

.........not sure if the exotics are legal for the FIM's world championships (Gas Gas, TM, etc.).

Sure, TM is competing at the GPs for years now.

When the new 300cc class was announced at the MXON there were three bikes on display : a KTM , a white-blue-yellow KTM ( aka Husky ) and a TM

• Like 1

So:

MX1 Ryan Villopoto

MX2 Eli Tomac

MX1 RD-5

MX2 MA-800

MX3 JS-7

RV is going fishing

• Like 2

MX1 RD-5

MX2 MA-800

MX3 JS-7

RV is going fishing

Ouch.  So much for RV careing about American honor.

MX1 RD-5

MX2 MA-800

MX3 JS-7

RV is going fishing

lol mike alesssi

MX1 RD-5

MX2 MA-800

MX3 JS-7

RV is going fishing

So that is the reason Alessi is dropping down to the 250 for outdoors. He wants to go to MXoN.