MotocrossAction test of the 450 rmz 2011 hate list

WHAT DID WE HATE?

A: The hate list:

(1) Shifting. If you rushed a shift, you could end up in neutral, and on more than one occasion we shifted up only to discover that we were still in the same gear.      

(2) Muffler design. The muffler melted through the right side panel.

(3) Rear brake adjustment. Suzuki’s rear pedal adjustment has a very narrow window. If you miss it, the rear brake will burn up. Here’s the caveat: there must be free play inside the master cylinder’s slotted clevis.

(4) Bolts. Suzuki’s bolt heads are made of butter. They were easy to round off with a T-handle.

(5) Clutch. If you use it hard early in a moto, you won’t have to worry about using it later. The MXA test crew is critical of the RM-Z450's overall reliability on the whole (it is hard to forget how quickly and easily we broke the 2008 RM-Z450—stopping its production in its tracks).

(6) Weight. This is a very heavy bike, and even though the sensation of weight disappears at speed, it returns when you try to put the bike up on its stand.

(7) Overheating. If we were you, we would invest in a higher pressure radiator cap and CV4 space blanket for the bottom of the gas tank.

(8) Throttle grip. If you want to install aftermarket grips on the RM-Z450 throttle tube, lots of luck. The grips are vulcanized onto the throttle tube.

anyone noticed some these problems ?

My RMZ 450 2011 has 30 hours on it now and
one thing i noticed is when i pull the clutch levler in ang pluf it into gear, and i start release the levler again, the bike starts to go immediately..    and this is why the bike is difficult to shift gears on heavy sandy tracks, imo..   i would really like to hear some ideas on how to fix this problem..   i tried adjusting my arc levler further away from the handlebar, but it needs to so far out to change the clutch engage point it looks stupid /awkward..

other than that i put a 1.6kpf cap on the radiator to prevent overheating, and alotta other mods 4 fun

I don't agree with hardly any of MXA's complaints. Clutch would be my only complaint, but it's more of an annoyance than a problem. I have missed shifts on Yamaha's and Honda's. Who cares if it's heavy feeling puting it on the stand?! All 450's feel heavy! I've never overheated. OK, the bolt quality is not Honda/Yamaha quality, BUT I've never stripped or rounded a bolt. I think MXA takes a "proving ground" approach. They are not kind to test bikes.

The rear brake adjustment could be a little more user friendly as well. The window is horrible, it either drags or it has no power. You have a very small window to find that sweet spot, or risk losing your brake quickly.

This is a VERY good bike stock and the only issues weve had were breaking the stock clutch plates and some suspension setup issues. i would also agree with the bolt quality but otherwise its been flawless.

Try a Honda clutch perch and lever as they have a different ratio. Not sure if it will make it better or worse but I know the ratio is different. I never had overheating problems with that bike. Ktms, kawis and Hondas are percolators!

When I bought my bike I went out before checking all the bolts. I had fender/body bolts flying all over the place. My fault.

About half dozen false neutrals. I changed some of that by paying more attention and I shift less as a result of paranoia.

Not sure about the rear brake thing. I just always thought that was a hold over complaint that mxa drones on about.

The grips slid off with a little heat.

The clutch I don't know for sure since I run core exp.

I do think that the stock perches seem cheesy. You know I'm sitting here thinking of things to bash it in its stock form and I can't come up with much.

I started a thread a while back about my rear brake blowing through and having no power. Have not recovered any help other than "there is air in the line". What they don't understand I have bled those brakes over and over and over again with no change. It has to have something to do with my lever position.

I have the outlaw racing rear brake lever. Much better than stock. The clutch-good plates and when the basket wears-get a new one. This bike is the best I have ever owned. Its easy to knock 10lbs off this bike. Lseca has an awesome thread going. If you can't make a 10-13 rmz450 work for you..not sure what 450 would.

Here are the "baby´s" bytheway :-)    Just bought som fresh new wheels for my 4fiddy..

the 2 smoker is a 250 06 restored for more money than i care to think about

lended a honda perch, going to try it out this weekend if the weather holds..   

getting too much rain here latly, so its gettn pretty muddy out there

image (1).jpeg

photo (3).JPG

I agree with almost all of it.  I like my 2012 but heads round way to easy, seize too easy.  Shifting to 3rd is terrible, thank god 2nd winds out so far!  Plastics look like crap in a matter of 2 rides.  It is heavy on the stand, it overheats too easily & starting when cold, what is up with that???  Stock suspension is crap no matter what you do it.  Revalved and all is well now.  Muffler is fine, don't know about the grips I bought an extra throttle tube & changed bars before I ever rode it. Over all those are small complaints and I like the bike now.  But its been sitting since may with 36 hours on it so it is hardly broken in yet

Edited by Toylee_roosta

It is the last RMZ450 that DeCoster built.  Everyone has won on it and the thing works....really facking good.  I almost shit when I got off the bike for the first time...its just easy to go fast on.  The hate list is trivial...I mean I hate that it came with a backfire screen in it .  They have to hate something right?!

WHAT DID WE HATE?

A: The hate list:

(1) Shifting. If you rushed a shift, you could end up in neutral, and on more than one occasion we shifted up only to discover that we were still in the same gear.      

(2) Muffler design. The muffler melted through the right side panel.

(3) Rear brake adjustment. Suzuki’s rear pedal adjustment has a very narrow window. If you miss it, the rear brake will burn up. Here’s the caveat: there must be free play inside the master cylinder’s slotted clevis.

(4) Bolts. Suzuki’s bolt heads are made of butter. They were easy to round off with a T-handle.

(5) Clutch. If you use it hard early in a moto, you won’t have to worry about using it later. The MXA test crew is critical of the RM-Z450's overall reliability on the whole (it is hard to forget how quickly and easily we broke the 2008 RM-Z450—stopping its production in its tracks).

(6) Weight. This is a very heavy bike, and even though the sensation of weight disappears at speed, it returns when you try to put the bike up on its stand.

(7) Overheating. If we were you, we would invest in a higher pressure radiator cap and CV4 space blanket for the bottom of the gas tank.

(8) Throttle grip. If you want to install aftermarket grips on the RM-Z450 throttle tube, lots of luck. The grips are vulcanized onto the throttle tube.

anyone noticed some these problems ?

My RMZ 450 2011 has 30 hours on it now and

one thing i noticed is when i pull the clutch levler in ang pluf it into gear, and i start release the levler again, the bike starts to go immediately..    and this is why the bike is difficult to shift gears on heavy sandy tracks, imo..   i would really like to hear some ideas on how to fix this problem..   i tried adjusting my arc levler further away from the handlebar, but it needs to so far out to change the clutch engage point it looks stupid /awkward..

other than that i put a 1.6kpf cap on the radiator to prevent overheating, and alotta other mods 4 fun

30hrs on your 2011? Shhhhhhhhhhit, the bike is barely broken in!

yeh..  still looks allmost new  :-)   pretty much done with the upgrades / look..  think it turned out pretty cool IMO

1381255_10151920241035688_1411662426_n.jpg

1390467_10151920241110688_870740065_n.jpg

ive managed to pop out of gear 3 times now. and every single time ive had my foot pressuring the shift lever. the 2 gear to 3 gear upshift is only a problem at starts. otherwise you never go down to 2 gear when your riding on mx tracks...

Mark that bike looks really really good!   Never thought a white rear fender could look so good.  Very impressed.