Sign in to follow this  

Kx500 and cr500 info needed

Im looking into buying 2003 kx500 do they have the power valve because im led to believe its little more work maintenance wise if they do? And the new kx and cr500 are they a complete new design engine or are they using the same engines the original factory ones were ?

Here is some dynosheets to look at. Look at the ones from Dynojet 250 dynos first of all. They are the most accurate as they are taking elevation and humidity into account in their program. Usually you get around 48 hp on the rearwheel if you have a roadtyre with the right pressure on a later model CR500 that is jetted right.

older models had different porting and higher Power output.

https://www.google.se/search?q=cr500+dyno+power&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nItfUr7JMYr14QS714HoDQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=975#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=k7RBRPQ8ioutRM%3A%3B6w-HW1gAn4mq3M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.zrxoa.org%252Fforums%252Fattachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D173459%2526stc%253D1%2526d%253D1355405032%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.zrxoa.org%252Fforums%252Fshowthread.php%253F289436-YZ490-Fans%3B1037%3B835

Edited by Johnnymannen
  • Like 1

The CR500 will corner and handle better than the KX500.  The KX's were good stable desert bikes.  I've ridden KX500's and I own a CR500 (95) and I like the CR motor better but lots of guys like the KX5's.

Usually you get around 48 hp on the rearwheel if you have a roadtyre with the right pressure on a

stop johnny you break everyones heart  :lol: . magazine said 60hp so it must be true 

stop johnny you break everyones heart  :lol: . magazine said 60hp so it must be true 

Haha! Yeah, i'm a real heartbreaker! Where have i Heard that before :=)!

johnny when I went to look at them pics I was suspecting you might be getting a 700cc 2 stroke zable motor.

I,m liking the smart carb

Yes, it's a Lectron 48mm. I got two different intakes to choose from, but i will for sure need to modify my frame for this engine. i'll try to modify one of my steel 500 frames, and if that is too complicated i'll take my gen 1 AF  instead. It a lot more space in that frame. I want to use the stock frame as it's registered for Enduro, and therefore i can insure and register and do some street riding if i want to, which i want of course :=)!

There will be no Zabel 700cc. Too much vibes and the drive on the wrong side. Expensive parts too, even that this is no cheap project either..

We are off topic here !

Edited by Johnnymannen

i tried to use lectron on steel honda but it contacted at the intersection between backbone and frame rails. it fit fine on gen3 cr250. fits perfect on steel ktm also with custom manifold. good luck with your setup. so far ive had some problems but i dont know conclusivly if its engine or carb issue 

I'm leaning towards kx500 03 it's more my price range the 09 cr500 is double the price

09' CR500? I'm assuming it's an Aluminum frame. IMO the steelies are perfectly fine. I'd never get rid of my 86' CR500, I like it too much

i tried to use lectron on steel honda but it contacted at the intersection between backbone and frame rails. it fit fine on gen3 cr250. fits perfect on steel ktm also with custom manifold. good luck with your setup. so far ive had some problems but i dont know conclusivly if its engine or carb issue 

Ok, Harry. yes, i have done some measuring, and i see that there is problems at the backbone. I have two different intakes to choose from, so i will see if one of them can make it fit ok.

Yes, ihave thought about that. we will see what will be best when i make a dummy engine for measuring. I will put the cases together and see what's need to make the parts fit :=).

actually you could probly make another manifold from alloy to allow the carb to sit at a different angle to clear the frame. i did this on my ktm and it worked well