Aftermarket Springs for 2002 XR250R

I know I posted this in the "What did you do to your XR today" thread, but I just wanted to start a thread for anyone that wants to search for this specific topic for this in the future.   I found out when I was searching it was hard to find anything for the 250 suspension upgrades.

I've been dealing with a buttery soft front suspension on my 02 XR250 for a lot of years and have always wanted something to stiffen up the front end to prevent the dive into the corners and the bottoming out off of jumps.  I've tried heavier weight oil (10W), compression set at the full hard setting, inserting washers to add preload, but none of those ever have got me to where I want to be.   So I got to looking at aftermarket options, which I came to find out that there were none anymore.  Eibach used to make some springs, and Racetech didn't offer any. 

Long story short, after numerous google searches and talking to some people I got the physical specs for the springs that I needed.  I then got on Racetech's website and found a chart that listed all of their springs and the specs on each one. (Length, spring rate, O.D., I.D. and Travel)  There wasn't a direct match for the 250 but I did find one that was within a few mm of my stock springs but with a higher spring rate. 

I went from the stocker .38 kg/mm to a .46 mm and after getting them on the bike I can already feel the difference it has made.  The spring number that I chose was the (FRSP 3245 0.46 kg/mm). The problem that I found is that they only offer the .46kg/mm in this size, the other option is what the stock spring rate is for the XR.  So if you want something heavier than .46 or inbetween you're pretty much out of luck as far as I can tell. For me the .46 is what I need, I'm 200lbs and ride woods at what I would like to consider, a fairly aggressive pace.

I don't know if this will help anyone or not but I like when people start threads on what they did and if it worked or not. 

This would be a big help for people needing springs for there xr250.You would be miles ahead,for woods riding,to put Xr400 forks on your 250.Problem with 250 forks,base valve,too much flex,even for woods riding.BTR

This would be a big help for people needing springs for there xr250.You would be miles ahead,for woods riding,to put Xr400 forks on your 250.Problem with 250 forks,base valve,too much flex,even for woods riding.BTR

I agree, I would like to have the 400 forks, or maybe even the USD setup, but I just didn't want to spend the $ for all of that.  I looked into sending my forks off to WER because I hears they do some pretty good things for XR forks, but then again, that is big $$ as far as I'm concerned.  This was a fairly cheap option that still should give me some improvement over stock. 

Dude, this is just what I was all over the net looking for today!  Just picked up an xr250r on monday.  I knew I'd be needing to upgrade the suspension but had no idea nobody is making the springs anymore. 

Good job, cpetz!  I wish there was something a little more stout for my 235lbs. but this will be way better and for the money, u bet.  I may try the spacer and heavier oil treatement and just roll with it.  Nice job, man!  Thanks!

Btw I found mention of the following on dirtrider.net.  In talking about common mods for the xr250, the writer said,

Replace the fork springs with Racetech k430 springs. Replace the stock fork oil while at it and put in 570cc of oil per leg.

Maybe this is an obsolete parts number?  Nothing even close to it on their site.  It was too late to call to see if there is an updated parts number. 

Edited by hawncase

I also am looking to upgrade my XR 250's suspension.

I'm only 150 pounds and I bottom the thing out ALL THE TIME. Its way too soft.

Should I even bother upgrading my current forks? I should I purchase forks from a different bike and upgrade those and slap em on?

How about my rear spring? what are my options for it?

this place rocks:

http://www.cannonracecraft.com/

all the springs you will ever need.

I found an old pair of Eibach .41 springs that I will install soon with 20 weight oil set at 5.5 inches from the top.

this place rocks:

http://www.cannonracecraft.com/

all the springs you will ever need.

I found an old pair of Eibach .41 springs that I will install soon with 20 weight oil set at 5.5 inches from the top.

No springs for 86-95 XR250.

I just contacted them via email. Maybe they can make some up for me :)

No springs for 86-95 XR250.

I just contacted them via email. Maybe they can make some up for me :)

Yes, they will make anything you want!

PS - For my then 230lbs the recommendation was .47's.

Edited by MindBlower

These work ok -- I am about 170lbs ... but the springs rub the inside of the forks are make a springy scatchy sound ---" eeek eeek eeel".  Any ideas on how to fix this?