Percebu to LA Bay to Santa Rosalilita to Percebu trip report

This is the short version of a three-day 475 mile loop by my friend and I on an XR400 and XR250L last weekend.  We carried saddle bags, tools, and camping gear.  No chase-vehicle.

Friday morning we had breakfast at KM35 and headed South to Gonzaga where we gassed up and continued South to Coco's Corner.  Coco showed me how he memorialized my broken clutch lever from a previous adventure within his collection.  Heading East from Cocos, we turned South through Calamujue sand wash finally reaching HWY 1.  We rode the slab to L.A. bay and stayed at Raquel and Larry's.  After a good night's sleep and a hearty breakfast, we gassed up and rode to San Borja and then on to Rosarito for lunch.  My buddy got a gallon of fuel and we headed a few miles South where we took a two-track to Punta Rosarito.  It was low tide, so we rode the smooth damp sand at wide open throttle for ten miles to Santa Rosalilita.  After a couple beers and stories at the market, we headed North to find a camping spot on the beach. We made a campfire and warmed our canned food.  With two apples for breakfast, we went North and took a road a few miles South of the silt beds leading to Chapala.  This very long route wound through a lush green canyon and joined HWY 1 about ten miles South of Chapala.  We rode the slab North to Chapala where we finally had a huge breakfast around eleven a.m.  We went back to Coco's and I made it back to Gonzaga having last fueled up in L.A. bay.  We had a major headwind and stopped again at Cowpatty's before heading home near Percebu.

Edited by Baja Rambler

This is the short version of a three-day 475 mile loop by my friend and I on an XR400 and XR250L last weekend.  We carried saddle bags, tools, and camping gear.  No chase-vehicle.

Friday morning we had breakfast at KM35 and headed South to Gonzaga where we gassed up and continued South to Coco's Corner.  Coco showed me how he memorialized my broken clutch lever from a previous adventure within his collection.  Heading East from Cocos, we turned South through Calamujue sand wash finally reaching HWY 1.  We rode the slab to L.A. bay and stayed at Raquel and Larry's.  After a good night's sleep and a hearty breakfast, we gassed up and rode to San Borja and then on to Rosarito for lunch.  My buddy got a gallon of fuel and we headed a few miles South where we took a two-track to Punta Rosarito.  It was low tide, so we rode the smooth damp sand at wide open throttle for ten miles to Santa Rosalilita.  After a couple beers and stories at the market, we headed North to find a camping spot on the beach. We made a campfire and warmed our canned food.  With two apples for breakfast, we went North and took a road a few miles South of the silt beds leading to Chapala.  This very long route wound through a lush green canyon and joined HWY 1 about ten miles South of Chapala.  We rode the slab North to Chapala where we finally had a huge breakfast around eleven a.m.  We went back to Coco's and I made it back to Gonzaga having last fueled up in L.A. bay.  We had a major headwind and stopped again at Cowpatty's before heading home near Percebu.

On Oct. 10th we started a trip from Tecate 5 bikes with chase vehicles early on our ride My friends bike had a flat (old tire) and cloghed fuel hose before the Santa Veronica entrance went south on rd. to Ojos skipped Ojos got gas at Independencia being late skipped the Goat trail, gas at Valle Trinidad cross over to San Felipe on the Dry Diablo Lake Gas last Pemex in SF and went on to San Luis Gonzaga first night at alfonsinas I enjoyed the Bay there, Next morning day 2 south with a stop at Cocos met Coco what a caracter after some drinks went south on the Calamujue wash my son went down in sand wash just before the Hiway and broke a rib for shure made it to Rosarito and was desided that he was not good to ride anymore so put his Xr400 in the truck and there was only 4 bikes left, awsome canyon gas at Rosarito then east to the The Borja Mission and on to Bay of LA Loved this trail, Loved Calamujue so much came back on it met trucks at Cocos gas at Gonzaga and a long ride to San Felipe for night 3 Next Morning back to Tecate  on the woops My friend had a case montezumas revenge so skipped Laguna Hanson no problem Having being there many times was OK Started out with my half used Pirelli mt43 front and Back  got one flat in the front just before the Pemex at gonzaga bay for not having enogh air pressure rock got me, 909 miles, with me finishing in Campo California MT43 PIRELLIS ROCK

I fell over twice in the Calamujue wash and my buddy four times, once in the deepest pond and I got to see it.  

Was the big birthday fiesta still on at San Borja?

I fell over twice in the Calamujue wash and my buddy four times, once in the deepest pond and I got to see it.  

Yes it was got to eat some tamales we were there on friday

Pirelli mt43 front and Back

Front too! Wow that is interesting. I ran a 43 on the rear sweeping the Baja Rally but with a scorpion up front. Other than the teasing I got from the Baja EXPERTS, I was never found wanting in any condition... other than when I wished I could have provided more rock roost to the guy on the 650 that kept feeding me a stone spray sandwich!

mtz

Being retired I can not afford to change tires for every ride  the mt43 are very economical do to the life of the tire 2000+ miles easy and DOT's my Wr450 is plated.

Yes we went around it It look deep

pictures?

pictures?

I ran out of film.

I ran out of film.

Really, FILM? Do they even make film anymore....welcome to the Digital World. :)