Coolant loss (2012 KX450f)

Hoping someone has had the same experience with coolant loss and what they did to fix it.  I have a 2012 KX450f that loses around 6 ounces of coolant out the overflow after riding.  There is no coolant in the oil, I have tried a higher 1.3 radiator cap and put engine ice in as well.  I am thinking about putting a catch tank in to see if that helps.  I cant find any visible leaks besides the overflow hose.  Any recommendations? 

Thanks, Cameron

It could be your head gasket mate hopefully just the water pump seal I also have the 2012 model

Most likely your head gasket...if you ride the bike hard there's a chance your head is warped which would be why your head gasket is blown I know some of the pro teams that were having this problem. If you replace your head gasket and it starts to lose coolant again this is your problem it should cost around $80-$100 to have your head milled from a shop

I've been chasing the same problem, losing coolant on every ride it just comes out the the overflow, I came to the conclusion that the head gasket and head warpage was the issue, but I wasn't sure if it was common. Now I know! 11 kx 450f btw.

CAMO

On my 11,I've noticed that if I fill it every ride I loose some but if I leave it alone, it stays at that level.My 06 was the same way

Hope this helps

Ernie

Edited by gonzokx

A few ounces is normal and definitely not a head gasket. Are your radiators bent, restricting air/water flow? I found that the cheep Chinese after market radiators have slightly different necks and don't fit the caps well causing then not to hold pressure. You might richen up your mapping to help lower the engine temp. Don't let the engine idle for more than one minute w/o air movement.

I thought it was the rad cap fit on the Chinese radiators too. But I side by side pressure tested them to see when the cap blows off and it was the same. Mine uses around 16 oz of water each ride lol.

Have ya not tried the water pump seal and how far are use filling your coolent up ya soposed to fill it to the top of the fins and thats it.. are use filling them to the brim ???

why would i try the water pump seal when the water blows out of the overflow?  :confused:  am i missing something

Becouse mine was boiling the coolent to the point were it was sometimes comin out the over flow and it was my water pump seal on way out and the litl water pump prepella was nakered new one in n me its fine so yeah you obviously are missin something arnt ya

If your water pump seal is leaking, coolant will drip out the weep hole.

If it’s your head gasket, coolant will be in your oil. That can all be tested by pressurizing the system.

Becouse mine was boiling the coolent to the point were it was sometimes comin out the over flow and it was my water pump seal on way out and the litl water pump prepella was nakered new one in n me its fine so yeah you obviously are missin something arnt ya

Well you didn't say water pump impeller didn't ya'

Kawis are known for blowing head gaskets expesually the 12 I think it's party because that bike had so much compression. If your just loosing a little bit of coolant it's probably not your head gasket you could be over filling, coolant is only suppose to be to top of fins. If your loosing coolant past the fins over filling probably isn't your problem. If your head gasket is blow that doesn't mean the coolant is going to be in your oil from what I under stand is it depends what side you blow the head gasket will determine if it goes in your oil or if your going to loose it out your overflow.

No I didnt becouse you never answered the question about how much coolent you were putting in......you obviously dnt have a clue what you doin so take it the dealer haha

not looking to start a fight, ive always topped it off and i know im lose some coolant.. usually down to the fins which is normal. i wouldnt of posted in here if i didnt think there was a problem, the coolant level now drops well below the fins, How far you ask stoner, i dont know exactly. not normal tho. get it? no external leaks, just blows out of the vent. this makes sense to me because i know what the bike has been thru. What has it been thru you ask stoner? a lot.

now have a great day 

see you auntie

T_R 

Most likely your head gasket...if you ride the bike hard there's a chance your head is warped which would be why your head gasket is blown I know some of the pro teams that were having this problem. If you replace your head gasket and it starts to lose coolant again this is your problem it should cost around $80-$100 to have your head milled from a shop

Exactly my words, My '12 had this problem at about 40 hours. But I believe it starts with a headgasket leaking, causing a little worn/bad sealing surface. So got both head and cyl. milled by a shop. Not a big deal, maybe I'll split my next kxf when new, and check head bolts torq. ;-)