2003 DRZ400S wont idle with choke ON

Hi All,

My original carb was acting up so I decided to get a JD Jet kit before I went through trouble to clean it.  I ended up winning a carb on ebay with a JD kit included minus the recommended needle.  I cleaned it and installed it with the needle the PO said he was using and did the 3x3 mod.  Now it won’t run at idle with the choke pulled out, if I roll the throttle back it will start, I warmed it up and push the throttle in and was able to adjust the idle and it seems to run fine.  I turn it off, come back when it's cool and the same thing happens,

no start cold at idle with choke on,

no start cold with choke off at any throttle position

starts with choke on and throttle opened

warms up, revs and idles fine

does anyone know what's going on here?

2003 stock pipe and emissions plumbing

JD Jet kit with recommended jetting

TT fuel mixture screw

3x3 mod

Notoil filter

Thanks in advance!

Number1 rule. Never buy used carbs:)

Does it start better when petcock is turn to prime.?

Nope, doesn't seem to matter where the petcock is, start with choke on nd throttle at about 1/4 open and runs rich (lots of smoke and odor) then I push choke in and it idles fine with cleaner exhaust.  I guess I can live with that startup process, but it wierd.

Nope, doesn't seem to matter where the petcock is, start with choke on nd throttle at about 1/4 open and runs rich (lots of smoke and odor) then I push choke in and it idles fine with cleaner exhaust.  I guess I can live with that startup process, but it wierd.

You could have a clogged jet or 2......Take a look at the starter jet

The used carb nightmare

The used carb nightmare

In the past Eric Marquez  has describes buying used as a crap shoot and is on the money as far as I am concerned....

Shoot .. Crap is the term often used ..RE : the nasty Used carb

IMHO, your pilot jet is too big.  Try a smaller one.

Make sure you have a JD blue needle in there, clip in 3rd or 4th slot.  In fact, start in the 3rd slot just to see how that works.  If you aren't sure about the needle, call JD Jetting and buy the correct one.

My DRZ wouldn't run at all when I bought it: 1200 miles on a 2003 bought in 2011.  The carb looked like $hit.  I gave up on that carb and bought a somewhat cleaner used one for $25.  Cleaned it some more, JD jetted it and performed the 3X3.  It has started and run perfectly ever since then, at all altitudes.

I assume you followed the JD instructions for sea level, or close to sea level.  Best,

J.

Edited by JMulthaup

Team,

Thanks for the help so far!

JMulthaup, thanks for the advice; it backs up my suspicions.  My next step was to check the needle and idle jet.  I don’t’ think I have any clogged jets; when I got it the first thing I did was strip the carb of all jets, plastic and rubber parts, soaked it in carb cleaner then ran it through a sonic bath then ran compressed air through all orifices and jets.  The slide and the carb body didn't show excessive wear.  My thoughs was that it's getting too much fuel with the enricher on.  Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow.  I'm really anxious to ride it again!

Soaking in carb cleaner is where you have possible made a critical error....

This practice is great for destroying rubber seals in inseparable joins on the carb body...

I finally got back to this bike and though I would start fresh by pulling the carb and cleaning.  I got it off the bike (this is where I snitch on myself :naughty: ) and realized the main and mid jet were reversed...  I put them in the correct place, put the bike back together and proceeded to pop wheelies with my new-found power!  Next up is LED conversion and heated grip install so I can ride in the cold. 

Cheers!

Soaking in carb cleaner is where you have possible made a critical error....

This practice is great for destroying rubber seals in inseparable joins on the carb body...

You're kidding!

There are non-replaceable rubber seals in the OEM carb?

You're kidding!

There are non-replaceable rubber seals in the OEM carb?

Nope,,,and Yes

First thing I would do is verify your jetting and comfirm your pilot circuit( check the FAQ's)

First thing I would do is verify your jetting and comfirm your pilot circuit( check the FAQ's)

Swapping the jets to the correct location fixed it, now it runs better than ever and the 3x3 mod gives it a little extra Thump!