41years

just looking at some through the years photo's of the yz 250 and realised it's now 41 years old.where did that go?  :jawdrop:  

1972.jpg

What's even worse is that I can remember that bike.Our time here is a blink of an eye.

What's even worse is that I can remember that bike.Our time here is a blink of an eye.

then i must have blinked and missed it!    :cheers:    

then i must have blinked and missed it!    :cheers:    

That's because your a young whupper snapper !!! Cheer's.

It really is pretty amazing how much it changed from the YZ250A through the mid-80s.  That is when most of the ground-breaking developments had been implemented (long travel suspension, disc brakes, power valves, etc).

Since then, it has been an incremental improvement process for the last 30 years or so.  IMHO.

State of the Art technology, 1972. Sitting here smiling and rubbing my aching knees. Would do it all over again. Good times!

State of the Art technology, 1972. Sitting here smiling and rubbing my aching knees. Would do it all over again. Good times!

Yes sir they were good time's !!! Kind of funny how a picture can jog my memory back to those day's and thinking,,,IT WILL NEVER GET BETTER THAN THIS,,,,I was wrong.

It really is pretty amazing how much it changed from the YZ250A through the mid-80s.  That is when most of the ground-breaking developments had been implemented (long travel suspension, disc brakes, power valves, etc).

Since then, it has been an incremental improvement process for the last 30 years or so.  IMHO.

i'd say the biggest jump's in production mx bike technology was in 81 with suzuki's full floater,honda pro link and h2o required for the rm,yz,cr 125's etc.the kx was still aircooled in 81.

then the ypvs, and first safety seat,new monocross etc,on the yz's in 82.i also remember kawasaki kx's having the first production front disc brake in 82,and then following up with the first rear disc brake in 86.

hey alan,i found a great little thread and write up (dirt bike test) for your old 81 yz125,well worth a read  :thumbsup:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/926661-1981-yamaha-yz125h-test/

Edited by smezmx

just noticed the super long throttle cable in the pic and wondering if anyone ever went over the bar's on one of these thing's and got......erm?................throttled!

look's like it could be dangerous?   :cripple:

just noticed the super long throttle cable in the pic and wondering if anyone ever went over the bar's on one of these thing's and got......erm?................throttled!

look's like it could be dangerous?   :cripple:

Never got throttled on those old cables, but I rode in the woods a lot when younger.  Had more than one occasion of the cable getting snagged on a branch and pulling the bars hard to the right, with a case a whiskey throttle at the same time.

Never got throttled on those old cables, but I rode in the woods a lot when younger.  Had more than one occasion of the cable getting snagged on a branch and pulling the bars hard to the right, with a case a whiskey throttle at the same time.

lol,i thought it looked dangerous,i bet they never had barkbuster's in those day's either?  :)

Edited by smezmx

lol,i thought it looked dangerous,i bet they never had barkbuster's in those day's either?  :)

Of coarse we had BARK BUSTER'S back then,,,they were our knuckle's. :lol: Seriously. ;)

i'd say the biggest jump's in production mx bike technology was in 81 with suzuki's full floater,honda pro link and h2o required for the rm,yz,cr 125's etc.the kx was still aircooled in 81.

then the ypvs, and first safety seat,new monocross etc,on the yz's in 82.i also remember kawasaki kx's having the first production front disc brake in 82,and then following up with the first rear disc brake in 86.

hey alan,i found a great little thread and write up (dirt bike test) for your old 81 yz125,well worth a read  :thumbsup:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/926661-1981-yamaha-yz125h-test/

Thank's zmez,very good read and I loved that bike,it just seemed to fit me perfect. :thumbsup:

Of coarse we had BARK BUSTER'S back then,,,they were our knuckle's. :lol: Seriously. ;)

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes: ok, i deserved that one :lol:

so in the day's  before yamathumb........ it was yamaknuckle............right?

knuckle_injury_by_scarahscrewdriver-d6dy

Edited by smezmx

Thank's zmez,very good read and I loved that bike,it just seemed to fit me perfect. :thumbsup:

your welcome mate   :thumbsup:

Look at that rear travel!! I bet it's all of 3" maybe 3.5" of pure supple joy!!! Like, sit on it, and nearly bottom out the dual shocks joy!!!

Those things scared me as a kid on  JT60 40 some years ago,,,and come to think of it they still scare me today but in a different way..

Of coarse we had BARK BUSTER'S back then,,,they were our knuckle's. :lol: Seriously. ;)

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes: ok, i deserved that one :lol:

so in the day's  before yamathumb........ it was yamaknuckle............right?

knuckle_injury_by_scarahscrewdriver-d6dy

Dayumit smez,I just sat down for dinner !!! ok,I deserved that one :lol:  :p Oh,actually my hand looked very much like that a few year's back except on the palm side,bad bowhunting accident and 27 stitches,,,,nasty. :(  :cripple:  Back to motorsickle's. :cheers:

Edited by Alan48

Broken carbon arrow?

Dayumit smez,I just sat down for dinner !!! ok,I deserved that one :lol:  :p Oh,actually my hand looked very much like that a few year's back except on the palm side,bad bowhunting accident and 27 stitches,,,,nasty. :(  :cripple:  Back to motorsicle's. :cheers:

That is freakin gnarly :jawdrop: