Coolan Loss (2012 KX450F)

Hoping to run across someone that has had a similar situation.  I am losing coolant on a 2012 KX450f out the overflow.  I dont have any coolant present in my oil, have tried a higher pressure cap (moved to a 1.3) and put engine ice in.  It continues to come out the overflow (about 6 ounces after a few hours at the track).  I am thinking of trying a catch tank.

Thanks, Cameron

it will do that if you fill the radiator up too much cause when the bike gets hot the water expands and will spit a lil bit out the overflow however this is usually fine... but if shes pissing way too much coolant out without stoppin then it could be faulty head gasket i had ths happen on my 06..keep an eye on it though worst case it could lead to overheating ya bike

are you sitting still with bike running at idle? maybe resting with bike running and in gear. bike must have air flow to cool 

I broke my 13 in last week and that day at the track I lost about 1 1/2" of coolant. I did have a aftermarket 1.6 cap on it before i even rode it so im thinking it was the cap. Riding tomorrow and put a tusk 1.6 (which worked on my zook well) and see what happens. I remember my 09 kawi ran really hot and ended up putting a boyesen super cooler and some engine ice and never boiled over again. 

Hoping to run across someone that has had a similar situation.  I am losing coolant on a 2012 KX450f out the overflow.  I dont have any coolant present in my oil, have tried a higher pressure cap (moved to a 1.3) and put engine ice in.  It continues to come out the overflow (about 6 ounces after a few hours at the track).  I am thinking of trying a catch tank.

Thanks, Cameron

My guess is you have head gasket issues unless you are letting the engine idle for long periods of time?

I appreciate all the feedback.  Did a leakdown test, no issues.  Put a catch tank on, no more issues.  Thanks, Cameron

I appreciate all the feedback.  Did a leakdown test, no issues.  Put a catch tank on, no more issues.  Thanks, Cameron

As you posted earlier, if you are truly loosing 6 ounces of coolant per every 2 hours of ride time, you have a problem most likely not fixed by a catch tank.  The catch tank may cover up the issue for some time and maybe for ever if you are lucky but most likely you have combustion gas leaking into the coolant system.  Although you haven't mentioned about idle time or your riding habits and skill level.

The cooling system on this bike is engineered in such a way for it's intended use by most normal human beings (Villipoto and Bagett are not normal humans) to not need an overflow tank.  Based on the volume of coolant needed to fill the cooling system to within 1/4" of the bottom of the filler neck and the volume coefficient of expansion for the 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol there is enough room to keep all the coolant in the system below 230 degrees Fahrenheit.

Basically the cooling system is small enough that it only expands an ounce or two at operating temp.  Anymore than that and you have a problem.  Something is causing more expansion than the system was designed for.  Such as excessive temp. or excessive pressure.  The additional pressure will not cause excessive expansion but it will be seen that way because the cap will lift off and allow the coolant out. 

I suggest you find your problem before it leaves you in a gas!

Thanks for the info!  I was only losing that coolant (6 ounces) after filling up the coolant reservoir.  It would stay at that level but I didnt like being without that much coolant.  Performed a leakdown test and everything is good.  For some reason I think the radiators want to run at that certain level.

Thanks, Cameron

were did you mount the tank.  could you post a pic.  i have a 2013 kx450f and am trying to find a good way to mount a tank as a precautionary measure.  any help would be great.

I went with Evans after having a lot of problems with my 2009 boiling over. The Boyesen pump and Engine Ice weren't doing the trick for me. Although, I will be the first one to admin that it was all woods and I am not the fastest. I've been running the Evans for 3 Harescramble seasons without any issues.