Shorty Or Stock Length Silencer? Pros & Cons?

I recently modified my FMF silencer to include a spark arrestor. If I want to take that arrestor back out, I have to disassemble the silencer completely to get it out. Not that big a deal but I was thinking just to go ahead and buy a 2nd silencer so that I could change them out when needed, and it would be very fast (2 bolts) to just throw a different silencer on the bike.

I've heard that the shorty type silencers are better for bottom end and wanted to know the opinion of you fine folks on the subject. If that is the case, I'd like to buy a shorty type silencer. My bike is an '01 CR 250 and has what appears to be the factory FMF silencer on it. Is this silencer a longer style than the shorty style I hear people talking about?

What "shorty" type silencer would you guys recommend? Manufacturer & model please so that I can research them.

Thanks in advance!

In case it matters here is what the bike currently has:

FMF Gnarley Pipe

Factory FMF silencer (just repacked it 2 races ago)

VForce 3 reeds

Keihin Airstriker carb-38MM

The bike to me already has a lot of bottom end but I ride/race woods only so I can use as much bottom end as I can harness.

Edited by Kawabuggy

A shorty silencer will give you a little more snap off the bottom at the expense of top end. They are also annoyingly loud.

I have an 02 CR250, and went from the stock to a FMF fatty and shorty setup. It did give it more bottom-mid, was a little shorter than stock, and it is definitely louder

During a normal race I doubt I ever get more than half-throttle at any point during the race so sacrificing top-end is NOT an issue. I also don't mind the noise issue as all races are closed course, competition, places anyway. If/when I ride public land I have to put the factory silencer back on with the spark arrestor and it does meet the sound decibel level as required by the forest service.

So, I'm shopping for a shorty type silencer.. I'm looking into the FMF shorty.

unless you're riding closed courses don't get the shorty. to f'in loud for the woods. 

schrode as my previous post indicates, it will be for closed course competition ONLY. I still have the original silencer with a spark arrestor that I will use when riding public land. I am required to have the spark arrestor anytime we are on public land. Yes, they do check. Yes, you will be fined if you don't have it.

I just purchased the FMF Powercore 2 Shorty from Rocky Mountain ATV. Looking forward to it's arrival.

Do you guys think that I will have to re-jet to work with the shorty silencer?

I went from all stock to fatty, shorty setup and didn't have to re jet anything

schrode as my previous post indicates, it will be for closed course competition ONLY. I still have the original silencer with a spark arrestor that I will use when riding public land. I am required to have the spark arrestor anytime we are on public land. Yes, they do check. Yes, you will be fined if you don't have it.

I just purchased the FMF Powercore 2 Shorty from Rocky Mountain ATV. Looking forward to it's arrival.

Do you guys think that I will have to re-jet to work with the shorty silencer?

i didn't see your second post just the initial one that i was responding to. in that case i think pro circuit has a little better build quality than fmf. either one will give you more bottom end snap though.

Hey kawa I switched from a Shorty to the q tech and feel like I have more bottom end now than I did...also put a q tech on my sons talk and it feels like it had more bottom end...I have a Shorty in good shape repacked that I will sell pm me if interested

Grr can't edit I'm on my phone...I meant my sons yz 85...my bike is an 01 as well,I didn't have to rejet when I switched silencers

Slay, I'm sorry but I already have a new FMF coming from Rocky Mountain..

I put an FMF Shorty on my 2001 CR250 because I was curious about how it would sound. I like it!! :D  Its is louder than my turbine core 2 but not as loud as I thought it would be. Plus it sounds deep and throaty- it really barks when you wrap on the throttle really fast. It has stayed on the bike for a while!

Here is my shorty installed-

IMG_8198small-L.jpg

Edited by Ilove2strokes

I put an FMF Shorty on my 2001 CR250 because I was curious about how it would sound. I like it!! :D  Its is louder than my turbine core 2 but not as loud as I thought it would be. Plus it sounds deep and throaty- it really barks when you wrap on the throttle really fast. It has stayed on the bike for a while!

Here is my shorty installed-

IMG_8198small-L.jpg

I am still not convinced your bike has even been started since uncrating. ;)

I'm with George on this one.. Video of that bike running, or I won't believe it has ever been started. Man, what a clean bike. I could never get my bike that clean because I would not want to ride it afterwards.  You interested in detailing my bike for me? I'll gladly pay you in pizza and beer! Ha ha ha!

Edited by Kawabuggy

I cut 2 1/2 inches off of my turbine core. made a diffrence. killed top end a bit. gave it some more bark down low-mid.

Choppertown-what did you cut down the inner perforated pipe and removed some packing? How did shortening it affect the sound?

the inner tube and the outer core. sound is a bit louder. But not shorty loud. it just sounds deeper.

Cool. You must have access to a TIG welder if you physically shortened the silencer housing. Glad to hear it sounds better.

i do, but you dont have to have access to one to shorten one. you can do it without having to shorten anything. i just shortend mine to the pointi had to move the mount.