Sign in to follow this  

need help with 87 honda XL600R camshafts

I have my bike at a shop right now and they told me that the camshaft needs replaced. the problem I am running into is that the part is discontinued and impossible to find. so I want to know which year ranges and what other model's (xr600/xr500) Camshafts will work. I have also read on several posts that I could use a newer cam (1988-2000), if I choose to go that route what all will I need to replace to make it compatible? I havent had this bike long but I really like it so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I had to replace the timing sprockets on my 83 XL6.  The lower one was no longer available, so I used the chain, upper and lower sprockets  for a 1990 XR600R.  You can still use the same guides as the original.  The XR600 chain is not as wide as the original. 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/957360-1983-xl600r-cam-chain-tensioner/?hl= xl600  timing  chain

Edited by kmequint

mmm,,well if you wanted to replace the Cam in an 83-87 XR/XL with a later model XR/XRL Cam you'd need an XR/XRL single carb head..All a bit involved.,You cannot take the Cam from the bottom of the picture and put it in your early model XR/XL...It may look similar but it doesn't work without the change to the later models head and head cover plus a few other bits..

Here's a picture of the Cams between models..

f55k.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Contact the people below,,they take your Cam and do a regrind or somesuch..Dunno why they or the Chinese aren't making the Cams to be honest,,going to be a call for them now that they no longer exist from Honda..Be a "name your price" deal if someone had them..I may ph China myself.. :devil:

http://www.megacyclecams.com/

Edited by Horri

I think cyclewizard regrinds cams as well.  If you go over to advrider.com you can find more information on cyclewizard.

Horri, Does the lobes line up between the two cams?  If so, then all that needs to be added/replaced are the bits where the sprocket bolts up??  And maybe the bearings??

mmm,,well if you wanted to replace the Cam in an 83-87 XR/XL with a later model XR/XRL Cam you'd need an XR/XRL single carb head..All a bit involved.,You cannot take the Cam from the bottom of the picture and put it in your early model XR/XL...It may look similar but it doesn't work without the change to the later models head and head cover plus a few other bits..

Here's a picture of the Cams between models..

f55k.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Contact the people below,,they take your Cam and do a regrind or somesuch..Dunno why they or the Chinese aren't making the Cams to be honest,,going to be a call for them now that they no longer exist from Honda..Be a "name your price" deal if someone had them..I may ph China myself.. :devil:

http://www.megacyclecams.com/

Yeah, I jumped the gun a little bit.  I was able to use my original cam.

All the XL600Rs use the same camshaft, you could also use an 85-87 XR600R cam.  They pop up on ebay from time to time and sell in the range of $90 to $130 dollars or so.