Sign in to follow this  

KYB shock valve stack removal

Do I really need a shaft holder or can I just loosen the top nut off with it in the vise as it is? Nut seems pretty tight so I don't want to damage any of the rebound stuff in the shaft.

IMG_20131008_191502268_zps71a4b0a7.jpg

Edited by Joshx221

you need to remove the peening on the end of the shaft, Can be done using a bench grinder by grinding the nut on about a 30 degree angle while you rotate the shaft. Grind down until you start into the shaft and try to loosen. Go slowly between trying to loosen and grinding until you get to to come off with minimal effort.

you need to remove the peening on the end of the shaft, Can be done using a bench grinder by grinding the nut on about a 30 degree angle while you rotate the shaft. Grind down until you start into the shaft and try to loosen. Go slowly between trying to loosen and grinding until you get to to come off with minimal effort.

Thanks its already ground. The suspension has been valved by Factory Connection at some point before I had it so its ready to be removed. I just didn't want to twist the shaft in the rebound adj./clevis and damage anything if that's even possible. I'm looking to clean the stack and record the shims so I can get an idea of what to try changing after I get some fresh fluid in it. It kicks real bad over logs right now, thinking too much comp dampening, but I need to do the oil first.

Edited by Joshx221

If the shock was previously revalved, then they probably loctited the nut back on.  I would apply some heat to the nut and then loosen it... even if the shaft loosens from the clevis it won't damage anything, just make things a little more difficult.  Heat + Torque should equal WIN.

Edited by bmwpowere36m3

It's probably loctited You should be able to loosen it just by holding the clevis. Even if you loosen the shaft from the clevis you can just re-tighten it and then use a shaft holder.

Thanks guys, kinda what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure.