works 525 should be fast

just bought a factory 525. prev ownd kellen something. pose to have 560 crank 100mm piston. not scary doesnt even have the balls of my old 426 what am i missing. first ktm  "o" 14/47 gearing.

With that 14/47 pin it out in the desert and tell me it's not as fast as your 426 as you roll right past 100mph.

i ment i exspected more power. i rode a friends husaburg 601 the front would come up in every gear. i thought it would be like that. maybe its geared way to tall. i just thought with that kind of motor work it didnt matter. i love it anyway . just looking for input.

I rode a KTM 300 2T last year that "felt" like a F'n rocket ship!! I was sure it would kill my 450. Then when actually riding along with the guy, he could not pull away while going through the gears (about even) and I was faster on top end. But if you rode both of them back to back you would bet your 1st born the 300 would win by a mile.

just bought a factory 525. prev ownd kellen something. pose to have 560 crank 100mm piston. not scary doesnt even have the balls of my old 426 what am i missing. first ktm  "o" 14/47 gearing.

doesn't matter what it has in it... if its beat then it'll be weak. What's your valve clearance? You can have rocket ship or a turd depending on setup. 

First check your valves and set them correctly, Then tune you carb. may have to up or down a jet depending. and of course your air mixture screw.

thanks. i guess i should turn a wrench before i judge. it does bog if i wick it, fine on fast roll on. i am 2500ft higher elv. than were i bought it. never done valves on a bike. did on a chevy 350 in my teen years. same princable right. would the specs be the same with the motor work? dont know if the cam the same or if it matters. thanks.

thanks. i guess i should turn a wrench before i judge. it does bog if i wick it, fine on fast roll on. i am 2500ft higher elv. than were i bought it. never done valves on a bike. did on a chevy 350 in my teen years. same princable right. would the specs be the same with the motor work? dont know if the cam the same or if it matters. thanks.

The vavles in that bike if its '05 and below are cakewalk and probably take you 30 min to do. Its just a SOHC with adjustable screw lock nut style tappets.

The vavles in that bike if its '05 and below are cakewalk and probably take you 30 min to do. Its just a SOHC with adjustable screw lock nut style tappets.

07 525 exc

100mm piston 560 crank. do you think the cam and ajustments are same as stock. yhanks

It is likely a lot faster than it feels. The big motor is going to come on very smooth compared to your 426.

Correct tuning for altitude may /should clean up motor response.

Clean the carb, jet it correctly, adjust the valves, repack the muffler and it should run better.

100mm piston 560 crank. do you think the cam and ajustments are same as stock. yhanks

Probably.

I open up the valve cover plates, break the lock nut free, make sure none of the lobes are engaging the arms, take small flat head and turn each one snug. Then back off 1/8-1/4 turn. Do the same on each. Then feel with finger, move up and down and you should just feel movement like 0.020" movement. Basically going tight then backing off for heat expansion.

Using feeler gauges on these vavles will give false measurement cause the tappets are usually cuped.

Then in ur case since you bought the bike used. I would take off the carb and clean it out. Excelerator pump and all. Before reinstalling carb set ur air mix screw to 2 turns out from closed. Install the carb and start up the bike. This will give baseline to start tuning.

Get the bike idling by setting the idle knob then blip the throttle adjusting the air mix screw till you have good solid reaction time. Take the bike out for a spin and feel how it pulls through the gears. If the bike feels a little weak in high end you should go up a jet or two or go down if it feels flooded. I have a feeling given your 2500 higher in elevation and going bigger bore, your jetting needs to played with. Once you get it down you'll have a rocket ship.

07 525 exc

Ooooo sorry never mind the prior post on valve adjustments. You have tappets with bucket syle. I have no advise on that. Sorry buddy.

thank you very much pat. will perform this tomorrow. thinking of ordering jd jet kit and a power now since i do not know if they are stock or not. do you think this is a good idea? or is there a way to tell the make of the needle an jets?

Ooooo sorry never mind the prior post on valve adjustments. You have tappets with bucket syle. I have no advise on that. Sorry buddy.

ok i will wait on the valves tell i hear from someone onthat

JD jet kit is probably a good idea. It will come with multiple jets and needles and the all important jetting charts and recommendations. This makes a great place to start and work forward from.

ok i will wait on the valves tell i hear from someone onthat

RFSStock Clutch Plates

Click on the link and scroll down to post #14 to ready about adjusting valves.

ok got my honda ap diaphram came with new cover and rod do I install them too? jd kit will be here tomorrow. thanks again to all.

You can but they are identical to OEM KTM and are not wear parts normally. The difference is in the length of the metal bit on the diaphragm.

Use some care when removing the cover as there are several loose bits (small "O" ring & spring I think) and remember how they go, same for the diaphragm itself (note which side is to the carb body.

The accelerator pump takes a little twisting or riding to prime fully.

Also a good time to put in an extended fuel screw but stay away from aluminum ones.

Two points;

1) Factory can mean about anything from stock to wild.

2) EXC will never feel like an MX motor and at 510cc it is spotting quite a bit of displacement to a 601, almost 20%

Bruce

Edited by BDM

ok its fast scary fast! haven't put on the 13 tooth yet or valve adj.did the jd kit o ring mod Honda diaphragm and feul screw. still a small dead spot just off idle when I snap the throttle but that might go away after valves and gear.. thaks tters

My favorite quote: "A fast bike in the hands of a slow rider is still a slow bike".