Help with repairs please!

So i picked up a 06 crf250r last week and one of the problems is that on the left side crank one of the bolts that held the cover on snapped and was stuck in there.  So i took it to my local motorsports shop and get a phone call today saying the guy before me tried to drill it out and tap it himself and completely screwed it up. long story short - I need to replace my left crank case and i know the motor needs to come apart. only quote i got so far was $1336. What else should i look into replacing while the motors apart. any upgrades i should do?? i'm trying to get the most of out of the bike

Before you go down the road of replacing the case half, I'd take it to a shop that welds aluminum and ask them their opinion. Mot shops you take it to are going to want to replace the case half regardless of much money it's going to cost you. There are other alternatives, but if you do go down that road here's your answer. Depending on how many hours you have on the engine and the type of riding you do is going to depend what you might want to consider replacing. If your an MX guy or the engine has been ridden hard and has over 40 hrs on the engine, a full rebuild is a good idea. A new OEM crankshaft, main bearings, piston and rings, timing chain and new gaskets and seals should make it run like new again. If the engine has been rebuilt recently or hasn't been run real hard and you can trust the guy you got it from to give you accurate information, bare minimum is new rings, timing chain and possibly a new piston depending on how it looks. Being that it's at least 7 years old and you may not know the history or have been given bad information from the guy you got it from,, you can be opening up a can of worms. If I had to guess, it has less than 10 hours on the freshly rebuilt engine. That's pretty much what everyone hears when they buy a used bike like this. I hope this helps you out!

Charlie

So i picked up a 06 crf250r last week and one of the problems is that on the left side crank one of the bolts that held the cover on snapped and was stuck in there.  So i took it to my local motorsports shop and get a phone call today saying the guy before me tried to drill it out and tap it himself and completely screwed it up. long story short - I need to replace my left crank case and i know the motor needs to come apart. only quote i got so far was $1336. What else should i look into replacing while the motors apart. any upgrades i should do?? i'm trying to get the most of out of the bike

Take it to a shop with an arc welder, if they set the welder low with a big rod, they can tack weld the rod to the bolt and you can probably unscrew it with some pliers if you are lucky.