IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

advice/tips for looking at a 'low hour' 13 kx250f

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any specific tips or advice for things I should look at when i go to look at a 'low hour' 13 kx250f.  The hour meter is at 12 hours or so when I called the guy and he seemed legit on the phone and friendly, but who knows seeing as it could have only recently been put on. Mainly looking for advice on any bike specific things maybe that could help pin down if its been abused or if it really is low hours. Obviously new plastics and a wash make lots of bikes look pretty good.  But stuff like specific wear (like how older ones had the cases that's wear after a handful of hours kind of thing). The only thing i've seen in the photos is boot marks on the lower frame near the footpegs, but i know this can happen in a matter of like 6 hours depending how you grab onto the bike.. The high comp piston has me a little concerned but he said it was changed after break in, and comes with orig parts so I can just swap it back out to run pump gas again. 

I know this post may seem strange but its a real good deal which kind of has me a little nervous on a 13 with 12~ hours or so now.  Part of the reason I want to know everything to check for, especially bike-specific is because its a 5~ hour drive, but if its legit worth it to save 4k on a essentially brand new 13.

Thanks!

I know a lot of guys with the 13s changed the piston after break in because of a few apparent incidents of the stock ones failing.

I've got a 13 with 30 hours on it and it's held up really there's a bit of boot wear on the ignition case but that's about it. Did he give you a reason as to why he's selling it?

Said no time/school.  Which i believe because be is also selling all his gear, his 2010, the stand (which has been used in like 4 different bikes pics over 3 years from his stalkerbook.. i mean facebook page haha, half case of oils and stuff. So I believe that, and he said the stock piston is brand new essentially, which I'd get with it and all stock parts so I can check that out to see.  Is case wear easily noticeable on the 13 since they changed the cases? I haven't seen on in person to be honest yet even.

I'll swap the piston to stock this winter, or at least a stock spec one so I only have to run like 6 hours with 110, basically till end of season here. 

Just trying to find any new things to look for to get a good idea when i get there.  I believe the guy it jsut seems strange to let it go for a great price with all the cosmetic junk (ill get rid of), and im not going to see it for 2 weeks or so because work and he is cool with that. Main reason I ask is i know he raced last year on his 2010, the 13 has all his race related parts like pc linkage, holeshot device, transponder clip... but bike seems to look good in these pics with minimal wear on the frame, even the footpegs have only slight wear on the top of the teeth, hour meter is low, all the non-bike stuff he's also getting rid of, fact that he has the stock parts still also...

I could post the pics in the ad if anyone thinks it would help

Edited by iggle

Wow sounds pretty good!

Literally the only wear on mine is that ignition case wear the silvers rubbed back tiny bit and the the paint on the top of the footpegs.

I guess the best thing to do would be to go have a look. Long drive I know but could very well be worth the deal you get. Start it up, mine with 30 hours stock will never take anymore than 3 kicks to get going with the high speed idle pulled out.

It all seems pretty legit though.

But if you get there and it all seems to be to good to be true . . . It probably is haha.

With only 12 hours on it, it should still look pretty fresh and you should be able to tell.

my 13 450 has 13 hours on it, the rear rim has a huge egg dent on the side wall that bows out already. Stock chain sprockets? I usually put a good chain on the bike from the second it rolls off the floor before riding and the stock sprockets will last with a good chain for a good 35-40 hours (something to look at /think about). Mine doesnt really have any engine case wear, some because I have sg-10's with steel toes but not as noticeable as it was with the black.  Look up under the tank at the throttle body area/wires if they are dirt stained probably more than 10 hours...kinda a pain to clean all that stuff and you can always "tell" if its been cleaned or just hasnt been really dirty and left that way yet with the motor heat cycling. 

Stock tires still? my 13 450 has the stock front and rear, the rear needs to be replaced now but just another thing to "check". Also if it has that low of hours the spokes should still be "shiny". GO look at a new bike on the dealer floors spokes and then compare to your 09...your's will be all glazed while the new ones sparkle.

Edited by dmm698

ah dmm, thought i'd see you in this thread :p  SO it seems i ahve found a better deal then teh 13 6 hours form me (with the high comp piston that has me worried).  I will get some pics tomorrow hopefully and see what you guys think, this bike is a better deal, lower hours, and guaranteed better condition! excited:D

ah dmm, thought i'd see you in this thread :p  SO it seems i ahve found a better deal then teh 13 6 hours form me (with the high comp piston that has me worried).  I will get some pics tomorrow hopefully and see what you guys think, this bike is a better deal, lower hours, and guaranteed better condition! excited:D

I came across a 13 kx250f for 4k with what looks to be 20 ish hours on it but its in PA...kinda far from quebec...

I actually got contacted by a very nice TT member about considering selling his 13 with sub-10 hours on it for 4800 stock, never raced (so, essentially brand new bike) 4.5 hours away.  Going to check it out on the 24th and hopefully pick it up off him.  Pretty excited, like a little kid at christmas again.  Now that i have a solid potential sale.. i'm sad to see my 09 go! hah

Now i'm looking into suspension stuff, seeing as im 145 or so w/o gear stock will be virtually impossible to set properly for me and probably need to change springs (and get a revalve job at the same time then).  For a weekend warrior, do you think it is still worth dropping 850 or so to respring and revalve? I'm guessing, as bad as I am, it may help me out no matter what, even if i just ride for fun adn give me more confidence?

Hi this is a photo of mine when it had 11 hrs on it if this helps

Thanks for the reference photos chris!

Edited by iggle

I actually got contacted by a very nice TT member about considering selling his 13 with sub-10 hours on it for 4800 stock, never raced (so, essentially brand new bike) 4.5 hours away.  Going to check it out on the 24th and hopefully pick it up off him.  Pretty excited, like a little kid at christmas again.  Now that i have a solid potential sale.. i'm sad to see my 09 go! hah

Now i'm looking into suspension stuff, seeing as im 145 or so w/o gear stock will be virtually impossible to set properly for me and probably need to change springs (and get a revalve job at the same time then).  For a weekend warrior, do you think it is still worth dropping 850 or so to respring and revalve? I'm guessing, as bad as I am, it may help me out no matter what, even if i just ride for fun adn give me more confidence?

Ride it first, then make that decision. I havent ridden a stock 13 250 but if the shock is anything like my stock 13 450 i'd say regardless it needs to be revalved its a pogostick no matter how heavy/light fast/slow you are.

I messed about for about 15 hrs before I managed to get mine right. I had it sprung for my weight and set the sag at 100mm ( Which is the most important thing) i also raised the forks up in the clamps to half way  in between the the two marks at the top of the forks and then I went with the setting in this  link I provided

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/MXAS-2013-KAWASAKI-KX250F-MOTOCROSS-TEST-THE-ONE-W-9489.aspx

I adjusted the reboud a little bit and this made the bike feel alot more stable and turn in a and hold the inside line a lot better. I would try this before you start to have it revalved as you may find it is ok like I did.

Hope this helps.