Sign in to follow this  

Are aluminum rear sprockets ok ?

I have always used steel sprockets for my 230 trail bike, the size i want to try next, only comes in aluminum, Is that a bad idea? does aluminum wear out really fast? I ride trails only, Thanks for any input. Jim 

Yes , the alloy sprocket is lighter and wears out quicker

Yea, it will wear out faster, but you will become the next US enduro champion due to the weight savings!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

As long as you maintain your chain properly, a good aluminum sprocket will last nearly as long as a steel in my experience.

• Like 4

As long as you maintain your chain properly, a good aluminum sprocket will last nearly as long as a steel in my experience.

Not in my experience. The longest I've ever gotten out of an aluminum sprocket is about 40 hours. Now I only run a DID VT2 chain with Ironman sprockets on anything 250+cc's and this combo goes over 200 hours before the chain is worn flat, but the sprockets are still in good shape. At that point it's time for a new chain and another 200 hours.

I have always used steel sprockets for my 230 trail bike, the size i want to try next, only comes in aluminum, Is that a bad idea? does aluminum wear out really fast? I ride trails only, Thanks for any input. Jim 

You have a CR230F Honda?  The bike isn't going to wear things out nearly as fast as a 250 or 450 stroker.  If you plan to keep the bike for a long time, as in put another 300 hours on it, then check out the Ironman sprockets because they last FOREVER, they look cool and they weigh about as much as aluminum.

I have two wheel sets for racing my 300, and I have a 50 tooth Ironman on each wheel. 

Properly maintained an aluminum rear sprocket should last about as long as steel on your 230 trail bike.  I just changed the sprockets and chain on my DRZ400s.  The old rear aluminum had 5,200 miles on it.   Good luck.

Properly maintained an aluminum rear sprocket should last about as long as steel on your 230 trail bike.  I just changed the sprockets and chain on my DRZ400s.  The old rear aluminum had 5,200 miles on it.   Good luck.

This.

I think it comes down to what you want, need, care about and how you ride. I ride MX, pretty hard, and typically I can get about a season out of a chain and sprockets. The steel ones do last longer. The aluminum ones last if you tighten the chain and keep everything properly adjusted, but you can see the wear. Worn parts still work, but can fail at any point. The steel takes longer to get to that point. Less chance for premature failure.

I would compare steel vs aluminum sprockets to standard vs o-ring chains. Both work great and can last a long time if properly maintained. But one is stronger and lasts longer at the cost of weight and slightly less performance.

Another option I see advertised lately is the Renthal sprocket. It's steel where the teeth are and mostly aluminum everywhere else. You get the longer life and the weight savings. It seems like a great option, but I don't know much about it.