Don't drive my truck, I ride

OK, I admit, I'm kinda proud of this. Flag gets like 8' of snow a year, seldom gets below 0, and usually gets above freezing during winter. I'm well equipped for winter riding.

I've put on less than 2k on my truck the past 12 months and 15+ k on the bikes, no long trips. The '03 Dakota has only 97k on it.

I'm a trim carpenter, tow my trailer to the jobsite, drop it off, and weather permitting, bike back and forth. Use the bikes whenever possible for business or personal, have adequate luggage.

Anyone else do this? How do you handle it. I drive at least once a month, and if I fire it up, I drive for at least 20 miles, (most jobs are at least 15 miles away). Oil changes, I've been doing every 6 months, but recently decided on every 12 months.

Great truck by the way, reg. cab, 4x4, 4.7, 545, syn. fluids except engine. No issues, even still has original battery. Uses and used zero oil when I was driving more and 5k changes.

Never had a truck with this many years, and this little use, advice or comments?

Thanks, Mike

I'm in building maintenance, and the job sites are scattered around.

I have to carry all my shyt around :( and thus cannot. 

A mate of mine who is a boilermaker rides his 450EXC into work because he either works on mine sites "Fly-in, Fly-out" or in a workshop. All the tools and materials are supplied.

Yea, I do some of that too, have the truck setup with a shell and homemade rollouts for the smaller jobs.

Mike

My truck has more tools than My garage  LOL  4 drawer slide out / roll n lock bed cover with tools and a ladder  under it

a weather guard  tool chest   and drop in lumber rack

and then all the measuring/thermometer/lasers  etc  in the cab

but sometimes I bring the bike with the truck so I can tool around  or stop and ride on the way home

I like the dropping a trailer idea  but in town  the trailer would be gone in the AM   and I hit at least 3 jobs a day 

now when I worked in the restaurant biz  I didn't ever drive a cage  LOL

P8180621.jpg

My truck has more tools than My garage  LOL  4 drawer slide out / roll n lock bed cover with tools and a ladder  under it

a weather guard  tool chest   and drop in lumber rack

and then all the measuring/thermometer/lasers  etc  in the cab

but sometimes I bring the bike with the truck so I can tool around  or stop and ride on the way home

I like the dropping a trailer idea  but in town  the trailer would be gone in the AM   and I hit at least 3 jobs a day 

now when I worked in the restaurant biz  I didn't ever drive a cage  LOL

P8180621.jpg

My work is all high- end residential, gated communities or gated estates and sometimes remote. Usually don't even roll up. Never lost anything. Having a lot of trouble adjusting to these smaller jobs.

Mike

My truck has more tools than My garage LOL 4 drawer slide out / roll n lock bed cover with tools and a ladder under it

a weather guard tool chest and drop in lumber rack

and then all the measuring/thermometer/lasers etc in the cab

but sometimes I bring the bike with the truck so I can tool around or stop and ride on the way home

I like the dropping a trailer idea but in town the trailer would be gone in the AM and I hit at least 3 jobs a day

now when I worked in the restaurant biz I didn't ever drive a cage LOL

Posted Image

words of wisdom;

Sell that piece of shyt Ford and buy a Chevy!

words of wisdom;

Amen brother!

Sorry tards  I am a Chevy fan and it killed Me to walk away from GM as far as Work trucks but  the GM  trucks available today are made for pussles! that enjoy a piece of shit front end

and watching the  shop managers ass as He fixes his truck

I dumped my girly  2500 HD and bought this F 250  it will walk all over the anemic GM  this has big boy parts like a realDana super 60  front end

ground clearance even stock or easy to lift unlike GM

what your looking at in the pic is a Bulletproofed 6.0 with 95k miles and 3 days in the shop bought used with 22k miles

my GM was in the shop 10 days and left Me stranded 2 times  from when I bought it new  to the 50 k point

so suck that Government Motor fans  LOL

now for my other vehicles I have a Tahoe a full size 1 ton Jimmy and a small block jeep cj5 so I like my orange but Blue makes a real truck for real jobs  however I am sure your GM truck   gets you to walmart just fine

Edited by Zimman

Sorry tards I am a Chevy fan and it killed Me to walk away from GM as far as Work trucks but the GM trucks available today are made for pussles! that enjoy a piece of shit front end

and watching the shop managers ass as He fixes his truck

I dumped my girly 2500 HD and bought this F 250 it will walk all over the anemic GM this has big boy parts like a realDana super 60 front end

ground clearance even stock or easy to lift unlike GM

what your looking at in the pic is a Bulletproofed 6.0 with 95k miles and 3 days in the shop bought used with 22k miles

my GM was in the shop 10 days and left Me stranded 2 times from when I bought it new to the 50 k point

so suck that Government Motor fans LOL

now for my other vehicles I have a Tahoe a full size 1 ton Jimmy and a small block jeep cj5 so I like my orange but Blue makes a real truck for real jobs however I am sure your GM truck gets you to walmart just fine

I won't hate on what you drive, hell I ran a 92 Toyota Tacoma 2wd 5 SPD till the wheels fell off(litteraly, a wheel did fall off) then got myself a 07 chevy silverado and love it , now it's for sale as I'm wanting a newer truck. Looking at a 2012 chevy silverado 1500 with 4k miles on it as the guy who bought it had an accident and can't drive anymore! But I dislike fords. Never liked them! Just seams like fords the go to truck for people who don't know about trucks. (I'm not saying you don't I'm saying most kids or city slickers that don't know how to work a wrench all go to ford pickups. Why?!).

Amen brother!

never liked ford myself!

I  never liked  Fords  and always gave My boss crap for His affinity to the F series 

but the GM light duty platform is more car like and didn't work for Me  I was on the second go round of the IFS needing a full parts list replaced and this time it was going to be on my dime 

trust Me I always dive headlong into My vehicles  I knew everything to know about the F series and the 6.0 

I made the dealer fix the biggest problem with the 6.0 under warranty and I pitched in some parts for Him to install to make any future items that were known to be problems go away

this truck hasn't needed anything hard parts wise   not 1 thing other than an axle seal

my GM was brand new  and really didn't work out for Me

however I don't bag on peoples choices unless provoked  LOL   I like plenty of GM's  and just 1 Ford  the F series  crew cabs 6.0   6.4  and undecided on the 6.7

when I bought mine  almost all utility companies ran the f series and most still do afaik

I have My choice of any truck I want through work   they  basically buy Me a new truck in my name every 5 years ( truck allowance = makes the full payment )  so it's not like I settled for this truck  I searched it out  LOL

Edited by Zimman

Yup; my 525 XC-W is my primary vehicle.  Really only drive the truck if I need a truck for trucky stuff. 

Which, after riding for a few years, is pretty rare.

IMG_20130422_173843-L.jpg

Rolled past 20k miles back in July... well over 21k now.

FILE0743_-L.jpg

70mpg-ish on the bike, vs. 12 in the truck... not a tough decision.

FILE0859_-L.jpg

A real work vehicle has live axles and leaf springs.

Mark

Where did all the truck hate come from? I like my vintage gm pickups, but do admit that newer chevy's are the choice of truck for rebellious soccer moms.

Got 12.6mpg on the highway last weekend.  Pulls like a freight train with 4.56 gears in it.... Bought it for pulling trailer/snowmobiles, not as a daily driver. 

Sitting here broke-down right now though. :banghead:

IMG_20131003_101325-L.jpg

words of wisdom;

LOL, that's like telling a Honda guy to buy a Suzuki.  ;)