2014 ktm forks "Top Out"

Hi All
I have a 2014 KTM 500 exc (OC forks) and went for my first ride today and loved it. I noticed in the last part of the ride that the forks feel like they are topping out fairly hard when the front wheel leaves the ground, through whoops etc. Still handles great, just doesn't feel normal.

I changed to a heavier fork spring before I even rode the bike but did check the free length compared to the original springs before installation and all was good.

I have had a few bikes with this same fork in them and never noticed this before, may have been there and may not be an issue, but I haven't felt it. I have changed plenty of springs in these forks too so I am confident that they are installed correctly

Bike still handles the bumps and corners great witch makes me think it is not a valving problem, having said that I am not a suspension guru either.

Can anybody confirm that I should not be able to feel the fork top out with what feels like a definite solid hit?

Just want to put the feelers out in case it is something simple as my nearest dealer is 350km away.

Any Ideas????????

Cheers
Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I am not familiar with those forks. How many spring rates did you go up. It could be the higher rate is extending the forks faster than the old ones and that's the sound you are hearing. Usually with increased spring rates it is necessary to increase rebound damping, either by closing the clicker or adjusting the valve shims.

The forks have a top out spring so you should not feel that regardless of valving. You may have assembled them incorrectly when replacing the springs. Did you thread the fork cap as far as possible onto the damper rod before engaging the lock nut/spring guide?

The forks have a top out spring so you should not feel that regardless of valving. You may have assembled them incorrectly when replacing the springs. Did you thread the fork cap as far as possible onto the damper rod before engaging the lock nut/spring guide?

I have since had the forks to a suspension tuner who has inspected thoroughly and re-valved to suit my riding  / weight and increase in spring weight.

He found no problems in the forks but they still have the same "top out" sensation. Even the Pro is at a bit of a loss as to what is going on. He suggested maybe going to a stiffer top out spring....Any side effects? Thoughts? 

Other than the topping out the suspension feels REALLY good.

I have since had the forks to a suspension tuner who has inspected thoroughly and re-valved to suit my riding  / weight and increase in spring weight.

He found no problems in the forks but they still have the same "top out" sensation. Even the Pro is at a bit of a loss as to what is going on. He suggested maybe going to a stiffer top out spring....Any side effects? Thoughts? 

Other than the topping out the suspension feels REALLY good.

Hmm.  That really shouldn't be necessary...seems like something else is going on.  I'd like to have a look at them but I see you're in Australia.  Are you absolutely certain it is the fork giving that sensation, not a loose headset etc?

Hmm.  That really shouldn't be necessary...seems like something else is going on.  I'd like to have a look at them but I see you're in Australia.  Are you absolutely certain it is the fork giving that sensation, not a loose headset etc?

Have checked the headset and everything else I can think of. Cant fault anything else. 

Thinking I might borrow another set of forks from a friend and try them, just to confirm.

I previously had a 2012 500 exc with the same springs and the forks are the same part number from KTM. I rode 130hrs on that bike and did not experience the harsh top out once.