how do u scrub?

I'd say you have to get pretty confident and experienced at jumping (incl absorbing) and at cornering fast on flat turns (where you use to "overlean" the bike, butt at the side of the seat)... and then you "just kinda combine that at the face of the jump"...^^

• Like 1

Use a good detergent to loosen up the grease. I prefer DAWN with OXY-CLEAN as it has a great lifting agent for those tough to scrub stains..... If they are really tough I might pre-soak for 15-30min such as baked in BBC sauce.

After I let then soak, I use a green scrubby pad that has the yellow foam on one side and I give her a vigorous scrub back and fourth, sometimes up and down, sometimes side to side. If I'm successful then I rinse the dishes and put them on the drying rack. If not I have a very aggressive yellow bristled scrub brush that I have resorted to use. I have also gone as far to use steel wool but you must be careful on Teflon coated pots/pans as you could damage the Teflon.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask if you need more tips and advice on how to scrub....

• Like 18

• Experts

tips? :ride:  :ride:

Only smooth faced jumps can be scrubbed, not jumps that are soft, rutted or real tacky. This is because the front and rear tires have to slide off the jump. In order to do this you have to lean the bike over as you are going up the jump. The sooner you lean it the better but this also ups the difficulty level. Keep your body position tall, just before your knees lock, as you lean the bike going up the jump. Then at the top of the jump drop your body position in order to absorb the take off. Always drop your body to the opposite side of the way the bike is leaning. Example: if you're leaning to the right you would turn the handlebars to the right and drop your body to the left.

This is a very advanced move so start off very easy. If you really want to learn how get my Volume 3 DVD #8 DVD or Stream (Absorbing, Scrubbing and Whipping Jumping Techniques). See free preview before you order:  http://www.gsmxs.com/latest-gs-news/vo3-dvd-8-motocross-jumping-absorbing-scrubbing-and-whipping-techniques-preview

http://www.gsmxs.com/latest-gs-news/vo3-dvd-8-motocross-jumping-absorbing-scrubbing-and-whipping-techniques-preview

Scrub good one.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Use a good detergent to loosen up the grease. I prefer DAWN with OXY-CLEAN as it has a great lifting agent for those tough to scrub stains..... If they are really tough I might pre-soak for 15-30min such as baked in BBC sauce.

After I let then soak, I use a green scrubby pad that has the yellow foam on one side and I give her a vigorous scrub back and fourth, sometimes up and down, sometimes side to side. If I'm successful then I rinse the dishes and put them on the drying rack. If not I have a very aggressive yellow bristled scrub brush that I have resorted to use. I have also gone as far to use steel wool but you must be careful on Teflon coated pots/pans as you could damage the Teflon.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask if you need more tips and advice on how to scrub....

To me scrubbing and whipping is for having fun. Its simply an awesome feeling laying the bike as flat a spossible on the face and increasing this lean eacht time by baby steps... it never gets boring... and while having fun I ride more relaxed... so what ^^

Of course paying more attention to turns would likely improve laptimes by a higher amount, but again... it helps (me) stay relaxed and its fun. And thats what it's all about, having fun, isn't it?

But depends on mindset I guess... If you're forcing yoursef to to the fanciest scrubs, way beyond your skill level, just to show off you might get hurt pretty fast...

has anyone tried racing the same track with and without scrubbing the jumps? i would like to know how much time you shaved because of it!

Scrubbing is supposed to allow you to carry more speed and then scrub to not jump as high and get back on the ground faster.  The downside is that if you dont land straight and on the gas you are still scrubbing off speed.  If you watch pro races you will see that they dont scrub every jump.  Why?  Because it uses a lot of energy and during a 20+2 race you dont want to waste energy.  A lot of times when they are racing side by side they will start scrubbing so they can try and carry more speed over the jumps than the guy next to them.  The only jump i see consistently scrubbed is a single where you want to still land on the downside. 

So yes you can go faster but unless you really need to you will be burning up more energy so make sure the benefit is there.  I am a big james stewart fan BUT(and i really hate to mention JS7 here cause it will turn into a thread) he is notorious for being one of the few doing tricky rhythm sections, even if he has a big lead.  If you have a lead why waste the energy or have the risk involved??

Are you excellent at absorbing and still OJ 4th gear jumps?  No?  Then post again when you are. 

I see a lot of riders doing poser scrubs who can not even absorb a jump the classic way.  Probably 95% of riders I see do 'scrubs' would be better off absorbing the classic way.  Safer too... 

Scrubbing is supposed to allow you to carry more speed and then scrub to not jump as high and get back on the ground faster.  The downside is that if you dont land straight and on the gas you are still scrubbing off speed.  If you watch pro races you will see that they dont scrub every jump.  Why?  Because it uses a lot of energy and during a 20+2 race you dont want to waste energy.  A lot of times when they are racing side by side they will start scrubbing so they can try and carry more speed over the jumps than the guy next to them.  The only jump i see consistently scrubbed is a single where you want to still land on the downside. 

So yes you can go faster but unless you really need to you will be burning up more energy so make sure the benefit is there.  I am a big james stewart fan BUT(and i really hate to mention JS7 here cause it will turn into a thread) he is notorious for being one of the few doing tricky rhythm sections, even if he has a big lead.  If you have a lead why waste the energy or have the risk involved??

i know exactly what a scrub is and i can perform one too! and as you said it takes alot of energy.. if you havent heard js7 in an interview why, its because he wants to entertain the crowd.

''the race was boring but you should have seen the way js7 rode!''