Sign in to follow this  

Face shim question

I have a ktm that I will like to add a face shim but I don't have more 24.1 will it be ok to use a 25 against the piston?

Edited by Pitioa

24.15(2) are stiffer than 24.10(3), not sure by how much.  I'm pretty sure one 24.15 is also stiffer than 24.10(2), so if you're looking for less of a change you could try replacing one 24.10 with a 24.15.  I'd do either of those before I put a 25.xx in their place.

Just as a side note, there is no perfect equation between the exchange of shims when it comes to thicknesses. 

This would only be true if shims only opened to a fixed and given distance. 

Dont use a 25 it will not give enough room for the oil to flow around it, use one 24.15 which is similar to 24.1(3)

Dont use a 25 it will not give enough room for the oil to flow around it, use one 24.15 which is similar to 24.1(3)

Similar is a good word.

Or just add in another 22, 20 or 18 , will do the same thing.Unless it`s a dual stage stack of course.

Edited by MRW

Stick with the same O/D face shims to keep consistent. The coefficient for a .15 shim is 3.4 compared to a .10 shim, so it will take three .10 shims to equal the stiffness of one .15 shim.