Sign in to follow this  

Carb Solenoid.

Just removed the PAIR and Solenoid on the Mikuni carb.

On DRZ400Uk.com they advise to replace the pilot air jet with a 135.

Is this necessary as there is no reasoning behind why it must be changed?

Has anyone had any problems or negative effects from just running the stock pilot air jet with the solenoid removed?

Thanks

I've read quite a bit about this - I don't have source links but swapping the 135 PAJ into the Euro carb has been discussed here on ThumperTalk. (The stock PAJ in the US is #135. This is a mostly-US site so it hasn't been mentioned much here but there are a few posts.) From memory, it makes the jetting more correct across the range - less rich at low throttle and less lean at full throttle. In other words, the #135 allows you to get the jetting spot on, and from what I hear it does make a difference.

I've yet to have time to do the PAIR/solenoid removal myself, but I did get a #135 PAJ from allensperformance.co.uk

You can get to the jets without removing the carb which is a huge pain.  Just loosen the clamps, remove the throttle cable, and tilt the carb sideways.  You can then get access to the jets from underneath.  If you tilt the carb the other way you can get to the slider.  Much easier than removing it.

Well im in uk. I did this ages ago and didnt add a new pilot air jet. And if in honest removing the solonoid made really no diffrence. Just your mind tells you it does cause uv made the already pretty shitty carb 2% better :)

• Like 1

Harry , have you done the 3x3 mod ? you dont need to change anything in the carb if all you have done is remove the pair valve and solenoide . All the pair valve does is add outside air into the exhaust gasses , so it can pass emission laws and all the solenoide does is stop you from using full throttle in the lower gears by bleeding off air pressure from the diaphram chamber . There is no need to rejet anything if all you did was remove them . Do make sure you have plugged the hose to the carb from the solenoide and the port in the head where the pair valve was . If you have done the 3x3 aswell , then you can put in a larger pilot jet # 25 , or use the extended fuel screw with the standard jet # 22.5 , greg

Harry , have you done the 3x3 mod ? you dont need to change anything in the carb if all you have done is remove the pair valve and solenoide . All the pair valve does is add outside air into the exhaust gasses , so it can pass emission laws and all the solenoide does is stop you from using full throttle in the lower gears by bleeding off air pressure from the diaphram chamber . There is no need to rejet anything if all you did was remove them . Do make sure you have plugged the hose to the carb from the solenoide and the port in the head where the pair valve was . If you have done the 3x3 aswell , then you can put in a larger pilot jet # 25 , or use the extended fuel screw with the standard jet # 22.5 , greg

Yeah I have done the 3x3 and am running the 22.5 with the extended screw.

Took the bike for a hard ride today and it felt a tad more responsive in first and second and no other changes. 

Yeah I have done the 3x3 and am running the 22.5 with the extended screw.

Took the bike for a hard ride today and it felt a tad more responsive in first and second and no other changes.

did you take the thing off the bottom of the carb? Or just tge black exhaust gas thing? Also where abouts in uk are you:)

did you take the thing off the bottom of the carb? Or just tge black exhaust gas thing? Also where abouts in uk are you:)

I did the Pair valve first and blanked the black pipe.

I completely removed the solenoid and tapped a bolt into the top of the carb so no air gets in.

Im in Australia, both AU and EU bikes have these stupid things on them.