Help a clamp/bar noob!

Hi everyone,

Wondering if I could get some help with clamp interchangeability. I have a 2002 yz250 and am looking to upgrade the stock clamp as I think it may be tweaked. My suspension is kind of sticky when its all together, but when I popped the forks out, they seemed to stroke just fine. I know this bike has been down on both sides and I'm guessing one of the clamps may be slightly tweaked. Please correct me if I'm wrong in guessing this or if there's a good way to check if they are straight!

I did some quick research and ran across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YZ250-Triple-Clamp-Set-w-1-8-inch-Bar-Adaptors-RG3-Top-Clamp-/251351565626?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AYamaha&hash=item3a85b8853a&vxp=mtr#ht_557wt_1150

Buyer says it is from a 2000 yz250. Would this fit my 02? Most tables I see list up to 03 for most parts. Also, is this a worthy investment in a new clamp and having to get oversize bars as well? (Was looking at Tusk Chub or Protaper/Renthal).

I really just want the front end to be right and if I have to replace stuff, I'd rather replace it with better. I have new fluid to put in the forks and was going to rebuild them, but they seemed pretty decent when I took them out. Damping didn't seem to make a huge impact, but they stroked much better than when the bike is together. Is there something I should watch for when installing?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions! :ride:

Yes, there is a right & a wrong way to install the front axle. If installed incorrectly, it will bind the forks up and cause them to work poorly. It's pretty difficult to bend one of the triple trees, so I suspect that the front axle is causing the forks to be bound up, which is causing your issue.

When you go to install your axle, you should make sure that the non-threaded end isn't "mushroomed" from being hit with a hammer, etc..

As long as it's fine, you lube the axle with grease, and install it & tighten the axle nut to spec.

Then I spin the front tire, and lock up the front brake a few times to center the disc side fork leg onto that side of the axle, and tighten those pinch bolts.

Now, I take the bike off of its milk crate, bike stand, etc. and lock up the front brake and fully compress the forks thru as much of there travel as I possibly can.

This will force the right side fork leg to "center" itself onto that side of the axle.

Using this method, you should have both fork legs "centered" on the front axle in there respective location, and also running parallel with one another, which will allow them to work together instead of fighting one another!!!

Yes, there is a right & a wrong way to install the front axle. If installed incorrectly, it will bind the forks up and cause them to work poorly. It's pretty difficult to bend one of the triple trees, so I suspect that the front axle is causing the forks to be bound up, which is causing your issue.

When you go to install your axle, you should make sure that the non-threaded end isn't "mushroomed" from being hit with a hammer, etc..

As long as it's fine, you lube the axle with grease, and install it & tighten the axle nut to spec.

Then I spin the front tire, and lock up the front brake a few times to center the disc side fork leg onto that side of the axle, and tighten those pinch bolts.

Now, I take the bike off of its milk crate, bike stand, etc. and lock up the front brake and fully compress the forks thru as much of there travel as I possibly can.

This will force the right side fork leg to "center" itself onto that side of the axle.

Using this method, you should have both fork legs "centered" on the front axle in there respective location, and also running parallel with one another, which will allow them to work together instead of fighting one another!!!

Maniac, 

Thanks, that's exactly what I did the first time I read about it. Before I took the forks off completely, I removed the front wheel and reinstalled doing exactly this procedure. I removed the whole assembly, reinstalled wheel/axle, tightened axle nut, spun wheel/locked brakes, torqued nut side pinch bolts, took off the stand, stroked the forks (still kind of bound up), torqued the other pinch bolts. 

I know that this bike had been wrecked on the road at least once due to the damage on the right shroud when I got it. There are also some pretty sizeable bends in both wheels and there's some pretty decent side-side play in the front wheel. With the way this bike was taken care of previously, I wouldn't put it by that clamps are tweaked. I bent my upper and lower on my R1 when I wrecked on the street, but that was pretty abusive. 

I think I'll pop off the clamps and set them on a flat surface and try to take a closer look. I'm pretty sure my problem isn't with the forks, but I'm not feeling overly confident about the clamps. What are the chances the front axle is bent? I'll have a look at that. The right fork (where it wrecked on the street) also got kind of bent up into the furthest pinch bolt away from the wheel and made getting that bolt out a real affair. I don't think that could be causing binding though. 

Anything is possible for sure! Hope I didn't insult you with the "method" of installing the front wheel, I just wasn't sure if you knew the correct way. I thought for sure that would fix your issue.

Anything is possible for sure! Hope I didn't insult you with the "method" of installing the front wheel, I just wasn't sure if you knew the correct way. I thought for sure that would fix your issue.

No worries! I'm certainly new to everything and will double check over everything involved in that process to make sure it isn't causing any binding/issues. I was just amazed when I pulled the forks and they were nothing like when installed. As far as loosening/torquing the top triple, I'm assuming that comes last so the forks can align themselves properly between the top/bottom triple. I pulled that and checked it. It was odd though, at first blush it almost looked like my bar clamps were tweaked. May have just been my eyes...I'll be inspecting this weekend, thanks for the tips!