Sign in to follow this  

Did I ruin my cam chain?

Did a full rebuild, top and bottom end.  Installed a new cam chain.  When I went to install my ACCT, I didn't remove the tension screw before I torqued down the whole assembly.  I believe this prevented the plunger from retracting, and caused my cam chain to get very very tight.  So tight that I could't turn the motor with my hand.  I promptly removed the assembly and installed it correctly.

My question is, by installing the ACCT with the plunger fully extended, did I damage anything?  

I have this terrible image of my cam chain breaking a few hours down the road and my head destroying itself...   

I'd say 90% chance you are ok. I made the same mistake being careless when I first worked on the CRF

If it were me, i'd be worried about that 10% chance. It gets real expensive if the cam chain breaks.

10% chance of $1500 engine repair = $150

new cam chain = $50

Edited by mudguy

I'm thinking the same thing.  There will always be that thought in the back of my head that my chain is going to break or the camshaft is out of true.  

I'm going to take it all apart today and inspect.  I know chains can stretch, but I just not sure how much..

If it were me, I would replace the ACCT and the timing chain to be safe. Cheap insurance.

Edited by Eddie8v

Did a full rebuild, top and bottom end.  Installed a new cam chain.  When I went to install my ACCT, I didn't remove the tension screw before I torqued down the whole assembly.  I believe this prevented the plunger from retracting, and caused my cam chain to get very very tight.  So tight that I could't turn the motor with my hand.  I promptly removed the assembly and installed it correctly.

My question is, by installing the ACCT with the plunger fully extended, did I damage anything?  

I have this terrible image of my cam chain breaking a few hours down the road and my head destroying itself...   

As long as you didn't crank the engine with the chain that tight you're fine.. no harm done on a brand new cam chain. I would suggest installing a manual cam chain tensioner (MCCT).. the OEM tensioner's do fail. 

Hope this helps. 

JL

0910131909.jpg

0910131910.jpg