Broken Scaphoid?

Hey I broke my scaphoid.. I went off a jump tail whipped thought I had more time, and the bike caught traction and sent me for a ride. I just wanted to know how long it takes to heal??? I got the surgery but its been 2 weeks since and it feels like I could go out and ride like normal. Just wanted to know why I can't just go back out..

Hey I broke my scaphoid.. I went off a jump tail whipped thought I had more time, and the bike caught traction and sent me for a ride. I just wanted to know how long it takes to heal??? I got the surgery but its been 2 weeks since and it feels like I could go out and ride like normal. Just wanted to know why I can't just go back out..

Don't fool around with this injury give it time and pay attention to the docs.

Do not fool around with the scaphiod bone, best to do what the docs say,I had a few buddies that have broke there scaphoids, one took like 8 weeks to heal, the other well he decided to ride early and had irritated it during the healing process and had to almost start over

+ 1 on what everyone said so far.An x-ray didn't show a fracture,It kept hurting so I got an MRI.It took forever to heal.Apparently there is very little bloodflow to it hence the long healing time.Do what the Docs tell ya.....

This can be a debilitating injury if not treated right.  It all depends on the nature of the break, and if it is displaced.  When I broke mine, it was non-displaced, and the fracture was oriented in a manner that had no impact at all on circulation.  I was in a cast for 4 weeks...and riding again in 8.  Very lucky.  You can have a break that really disrupts blood flow...and the injury would not hurt any more than mine did...but if not treated right...part of the bone could actually die...BAD news.  The good news is that the injury is very common..so there are a lot of docs who know how to treat it.  Get a good doc, and do what he says.  Also...I was told that film on this injury often does not show a break for a while as it is usually associated with a lot of soft tissue damage and inflamation.  When I broke mine...I went in for XRays 10 days post injury...and they could see it. 

Edited by Blutarsky

crushed scaphoid 8 yrs ago after two surgeries 7 months apart with pins and wires and a cup to repair i have a frozen wrist with no posibility for movement of strengh...heed drs.advise and get a good therapist above all don't break it at work! comp and drs are a bad combination .

Had mine broken for two years didn't know until about a year ago got surgery, kept in soft cast for 3 weeks and hard cast for 4 weeks and 3 weeks after getting cast off I was riding. Just my experience on it