Can you recommend a spoke set?

Hello everybody!

The wheels on my 07 450 are not that great so i thought I might do something about it.

But today I got a set of close to brand new OEM rims for free and I can get a set of hubs complete with brake disks for cheap.

So Now I need a set of spokes.

Can anyone recommend a set of stainless spokes with nuts that are not made from aluminum?

And not to pricy please, but not junk either.

Thanks in advance!

Martin

I want to try some Kite double butted spokes myself.

The stock spoke and nipple sets aren't bad at all, especially if you properly lube the spoke threads prior to wheel assembly.

Hello everybody!

The wheels on my 07 450 are not that great so i thought I might do something about it.

But today I got a set of close to brand new OEM rims for free and I can get a set of hubs complete with brake disks for cheap.

So Now I need a set of spokes.

Can anyone recommend a set of stainless spokes with nuts that are not made from aluminum?

And not to pricy please, but not junk either.

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Excel spoke kits are great!  They are stainless so easy to maintain. They do have aluminum nipples but spoke failures will be the spoke and not the nipple. Other option is Buchanan Spokes... stronger than Excel but a little heavier with steel nipples.  As far as price goes... if you see a deal and they are made in China RUN!! 

Edited by Potts228

pro wheel makes great spoke sets.

Thanks for the input guys!

I might be able to get a good deal on excel spokes, but not sure if they fit the front wheel. will know tomorrow.

But if not I will try to find something else, with steel nipples. Seized round aluminum nipples isn't cool.

btw, I don't want to drill the hubs if I don't have to.

I guess the cheap moose sets are rebranded PRC stuff?

Not easy to know where the stuff come from, everyone says their product is the best thing since sliced bread.

Feel free to leave more comments.

Thanks!

Have had good luck with Buchanan's.

Note with the Excels the spline drive nipples are a PITA, and god help you if you lose the wrench!

Thanks for the input guys!

I might be able to get a good deal on excel spokes, but not sure if they fit the front wheel. will know tomorrow.

But if not I will try to find something else, with steel nipples. Seized round aluminum nipples isn't cool.

btw, I don't want to drill the hubs if I don't have to.

I guess the cheap moose sets are rebranded PRC stuff?

Not easy to know where the stuff come from, everyone says their product is the best thing since sliced bread.

Feel free to leave more comments.

Thanks!

I think you can get spline drive nipps for the Excel spokes.

The buchannons are oversized if I remember correctly.

Which is not necescary imo and extra unsprung mass.

I think you can get spline drive nipps for the Excel spokes.

The buchannons are oversized if I remember correctly.

Which is not necescary imo and extra unsprung mass.

You can get anything your lil heart desires from Buchanan

Every set of Excel spokes I've ever used had spline drive nipples. 

Well excel is no longer an option. needing special tools to tighten spokes is not cool, and they don't fit the front wheel.

Buchanan sounds like a quality product, but their lists says I have to drill my hubs to make them fit. And that is not something I'm willing to do at this moment.

A swedish company named c.c products makes spokes that come highly recommended from a few of my friends, so right now that is what i think I will get.

thanks for your help!

The excel spline drive spokes come with the wrench. And Im pretty sure you can get a set of stainless spokes from Buchanan that wont require drilling. 

Bulldogs from KSR, you will have to drill the front rim for the oversize nipples. Anyway Keith will hook you up.

Buchanan's makes both regular sized (no drilling) and oversized (drilling required). They are stainless and can be had with either stainless nipples or blue zinc plated steel nipples.

Excel makes a line of spokes that are stainless and use steel nipples, not the funky spline drive nipples. They are made in Japan and are excellent quality. They run about $ 50 for the whole set.

I was drunk last night and did a little soul searching.. &%$#@! it, Buchanan it is! All the praise here convinced me.

Thanks guys!

Soul searching while drunk? Hmmm. ;) 

Excel spoke kits are great!  They are stainless so easy to maintain. They do have aluminum nipples but spoke failures will be the spoke and not the nipple. Other option is Buchanan Spokes... stronger than Excel but a little heavier with steel nipples.  As far as price goes... if you see a deal and they are made in China RUN!! 

I don't think they make Buchanan spokes for the CRF450 anymore (Or CRFsOnly just doesn't offer them). I got some Bulldog spokes from CRFsOnly.com About $100 with shipping.

I put them on an 18" rim, 2007 CRF 450R hub (2.15x18 DID rear rim - D.I.D 18X215VS01H )

Took the rim to Chaparral racing to get it tightened and trued. I laced it but had no clue on how to tighten a rim, especially since they were spined spoke nipples. Haven't had to tighten them since.

DIY if you are brave: http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13015

Edited by Eric Schrader