Sign in to follow this  

Beta 250 RR or KTM 200 XCW or other 250 2 Stroke?

I am looking to replace my Honda CRF250X with a 2-stroke mainly due how heavy the Honda is and feels. I am a fairly new rider and ride mostly trails, though I do go to the track a bit. I rode my buddy's KTM 250xcw the other day and really liked how much lighter it felt. I felt like I was getting used to the 2-stroke power delivery, compared to the Honda's, the more I rode.

I had thought I had it narrowed  down to the KTM 200 or 250. At 5'9" and only 155lbs (and being a novice), I am sure the KTM 200 would be plenty of bike. Then I read about the Beta 250 RR and the fact that its seat height is 1.2" lower than the KTMs. I lowered my Honda with the Koubalink for this season, didn't love it, and had planned on putting it back to stock height and cutting the seat or getting the Durelle Racing gel seat this winter. If I bought the KTM, I would probably look to lower it, but with the Beta, I shouldn't have to do that.

Another reason the Beta intrigues me is I have been reading that it's engine is mellower than the KTM and easier to lug around. I am not a very fast rider.

I am a bit concerned about dealer support and getting parts. The closest dealer is 3 hours away.

Long story short, Beta 250 RR, KTM 200 XCW, KTM 250 XCW or something completely different?

Thanks in advance.

My 2005 ktm exc200 has a low seat height and lugs great. Let's ride!

I had a '00 model 200EXC. Plenty of lugging with a JD Jet Kit in it. GasGas made a 200 too. There's always the KDX200. Suggest avoiding the 250cc smoker for now until your skill improves. 

Thanks for the advice guys. According to the specs, the new KTM 200s have the same seat height as the 250s at 37.8 inches. The Beta is only 36.6 inches. That said, if I can find a good, used KTM 200, it is good to know that the seat heights back then may have been lower. 

I setup a KTM 200 for a buddies kid. I used an X bushing I the rear, dropped the forks a bit and cut the seat. Much lower.

With proper setup, the 200 can have fairly mellow power- a flywheel weight helps, so does a head cut. The PV (power Valve) can be adjusted easily, changing thw characteristics quite a bit.

It was setup so at lower rpm it was darn tractable (not as much as my 300- but smaller/lighter etc) but still would really cook on top.

This was 2002 200 I think. Right around there they changed a bunch, so I'd probably look for a 2003 or newer if possible. Nothing wrong with the older bikes, just improvements in the newer.

(A quick search on KTMTalk would probably answer the year question).

Mark

I am looking to replace my Honda CRF250X with a 2-stroke mainly due how heavy the Honda is and feels. I am a fairly new rider and ride mostly trails, though I do go to the track a bit. I rode my buddy's KTM 250xcw the other day and really liked how much lighter it felt. I felt like I was getting used to the 2-stroke power delivery, compared to the Honda's, the more I rode.

I had thought I had it narrowed  down to the KTM 200 or 250. At 5'9" and only 155lbs (and being a novice), I am sure the KTM 200 would be plenty of bike. Then I read about the Beta 250 RR and the fact that its seat height is 1.2" lower than the KTMs. I lowered my Honda with the Koubalink for this season, didn't love it, and had planned on putting it back to stock height and cutting the seat or getting the Durelle Racing gel seat this winter. If I bought the KTM, I would probably look to lower it, but with the Beta, I shouldn't have to do that.

Another reason the Beta intrigues me is I have been reading that it's engine is mellower than the KTM and easier to lug around. I am not a very fast rider.

I am a bit concerned about dealer support and getting parts. The closest dealer is 3 hours away.

Long story short, Beta 250 RR, KTM 200 XCW, KTM 250 XCW or something completely different?

Thanks in advance.

I have had excellent very fast service as far as support for my 09 Beta. Parts is not a problem at all from my experience. Motor manners are excellent and the lower seat height is nice. I'd say go check out the Beta threads along with the ktm ones too. Ktm is great too but from what I see the Beta is the bike to get. Being a novice a  200 is good too but I'm not into how the new ktm 200's are not xc's anymore. A good used ktm 200 is good too . Still the new Betas are awesome to me. I like a good electric start that works and the bike is just sweet for offroad. No matter what you can't go wrong with the 3 you have listed.

The Beta 250 is amazing bike, smooth, powerful, great electric start. You wont find a used one though.

Thanks, this is helpful. I'll probably go with a new Beta 250 for the reasons listed above, unless I can get a good used KTM 200 or 250 with e-start and put a lower seat on it.