Sign in to follow this  

For those of you who are expecting winter.....

I performed a search without much luck.  Who runs heated grips?  Make/Model, tips suggestions?  I want to extend my riding season.

After a half hour ride this morning in 38 degrees....I want a pair.  I was wearing Alpinestars Drystar gloves also, didn't help much.

For those of you who are getting into spring/summer....Live it up and enjoy it! 

I performed a search without much luck. Who runs heated grips? Make/Model, tips suggestions? I want to extend my riding season.

After a half hour ride this morning in 38 degrees....I want a pair. I was wearing Alpinestars Drystar gloves also, didn't help much.

For those of you who are getting into spring/summer....Live it up and enjoy it!

gloves dont feel like they do alot but hey! They help loads. Next time when you leave home see how long it takes your hands to get cold without them. Then when you go home see how warm your hands are with gloves. Also heated grips are good oxford ones i like :) trouble is the cable on them tend to split think this happens on most heated ones

I rode in today also at 38 degrees and used my regular gloves. Tomorrow I will be switching to my snowboarding gloves. Where in NY are you located? I'm in the capital district.

gloves dont feel like they do alot but hey! They help loads. Next time when you leave home see how long it takes your hands to get cold without them. Then when you go home see how warm your hands are with gloves. Also heated grips are good oxford ones i like :) trouble is the cable on them tend to split think this happens on most heated ones

Oh i've got a few pairs of gloves, alpinestars octane which are basically summer gloves and my alpinestars drystar which I'd call medium weight winter gloves.  I have barkbusters on my drz to block wind also, but it is time for heated grips!  I was looking at oxford heated grips also.

I rode in today also at 38 degrees and used my regular gloves. Tomorrow I will be switching to my snowboarding gloves. Where in NY are you located? I'm in the capital district.

Yeah my hands have been colder but I've got the money might as well get heated grips.  I am in the southern tier region.  About half hour south east of Ithaca.  Any good riding in the capitol region?  I guess you aren't too far from the Adirondacks, Im assuming there are twisties up there.

Heated grips like the Dual Stars work well.  Keeping the wind off is another issue.  Using the control covers, I do not have to wear heavy gloves to keep my hands warm.  

Heated grips and good gloves might get you through 30 minutes OK, covers over the controls will take you MUCH farther...

Here are a couple of posts that cover some of this...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/999603-cold-weather-riding-gear/#entry10486769

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/999603-cold-weather-riding-gear/#entry10486769

Luckily here in GA, I have another 30 days or so before I have to put the covers back on for winter.

• Like 1

Yeah my hands have been colder but I've got the money might as well get heated grips.  I am in the southern tier region.  About half hour south east of Ithaca.  Any good riding in the capitol region?  I guess you aren't too far from the Adirondacks, Im assuming there are twisties up there.

There is some good riding up here,  I'm about 45 min from the Adirondacks, VT and Mass. Is this near you? http://www.bearcreeksportsmen.com/quarry_run.html looks like fun.

$35 for heated grips I'm sold.. Add a heated shield and I'll be good to go til Spring.

Edited by rideitfixitrideit

If you want your hands to be actually warm, buy heated gloves. Heated grips just warm the face side of your hands, but the top still gets numbing cold. Heated gloves heat your whole hand.

• Like 1

I've had heated grips on all my bikes for years, just now adding them to my newly aquired DRZ. I buy the "peel and stick" type such as the Dual Star from whoever has the best price at the time. The current set came with no switch and no resistor (the "dual range" device) for about $25. I hook them up thru a Warm And Safe controller, more expensive but infinitely variable.

I also use summer gloves under these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=atv+handlebar+mitts&rlz=1C1RNNN_enUS354&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=wclWUrmHEIPRqAG3mIHwCw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=813&dpr=1

In combination with the heated grips, I'm good to go into the 20s (assuming the roads are clean 'n dry. :D )

• Like 2

There is some good riding up here,  I'm about 45 min from the Adirondacks, VT and Mass. Is this near you? http://www.bearcreeksportsmen.com/quarry_run.html looks like fun.

$35 for heated grips I'm sold.. Add a heated shield and I'll be good to go til Spring.

About an hour away.  Just trying to extend my riding season with some heated gear.

38 with wind chill? Thats freezing! I live in ca and im a wimp with alpine star thinsulate/ goretex gloves. They do the trick when it drops to 50 deg f.