Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on full qt of trans fluid in 02 crf450 supermoto

I've read a couple of threads on here saying that people are running a full qt of Honda (red bottle) trans fluid in their trannys. Especially the supermoto guys. Reasons being to prevent a 5th gear lock up. However I could not find any year specific information and was wondering if a full qt would be a good idea in my 02 crf450r supermoto?

Currently I'm running about 2/3rds of a bottle of the Honda (red bottle) trans fluid. It comes out the check hole when I open it up so I'm assuming its at capacity. Could adding the remainder of the qt to my trans cause me any issues?

Thanks for any input on the subject.

You have to go to 1.16 qts before you run into trouble.

The 2005 crf450x HRC performance bulletin from Honda recommended using 1 quart of Honda Red bottle in the transmission for 'long distance riding'.

There is no such bulletin for the 2002 R that I am aware of.

The 2005 X gear in question had no oil grooves.

Edited by Krannie

I always run a full quart in my '02R. The transmission oiling system is pretty poor, and seems to rely on the clutch cover catching oil and directing it down into the gear train through the center of the clutch.

If the problem is the fluid getting too hot, the Hinson clutch cover allows more room for fluid and in the directions they recommend running .9 of a quart. Might help with your problem.

I always run a full quart in my '02R. The transmission oiling system is pretty poor, and seems to rely on the clutch cover catching oil and directing it down into the gear train through the center of the clutch.

What kind of riding do you do? No overheating issues? Over heating is the only possible side affect to using a full qt in the tranny that I've read about (in the FAQ).

Edited by sumosquid

If the problem is the fluid getting too hot, the Hinson clutch cover allows more room for fluid and in the directions they recommend running .9 of a quart. Might help with your problem.

So far no issues. Transmission shifts fine and no squeals from the kick starter gear. However when I drained the tranny fluid from the previous owner it was glittery looking. Obviously tiny metal shavings (not good!) from fluid changes being neglected in the transmission. I'm just wanting to give this bike the TLC that it deserves to help prolong its life and prevent me from having to take on a rebuild anytime soon.

This bike is a supermoto and will be driven mainly on the road at traffic speeds of 40 to 60mph+

Edited by sumosquid

Sorta. What happens is the clutchs driven gear picks up the oil and throws it at a trough that directs it back at the transmission and basically splash drain oils the transmission. 5th is the farthest from the source and it can end up under lubed. I think part of the problem might be the amount available in the cover that the gear is running in. Thats why running the level higher ends up preventing the main problem. You can run too much, and cause some churning, but as stated, its over a quart before you get there. I've always run 700cc without a problem. 

what about in crf450r 09-12, they still have the same issues, should I run the whole quart got 09 and use it on the street