Sign in to follow this  

Pennsylvania Anyone know their way around Treverton?

Looks like an awesome place to go out and ride, I am working on planning a trip down there soon.  I don't like riding alone for obvious reasons and would like to meet up with someone down there.

Let me know,

Dan

Old man of the mount is a member here who would be a great guide. I myself don't know very many good trails. I either get lost or get stuck on quad trails.

• Like 1

I ride there frequently. The big hill is off limits now. They are building a trail system there also. I heard people are being harassed by the new cop also, even with Reading Coal's property pass. I'll be there next weekend for a family reunion(wife) and be doing some research. The locals are ok about riding they just don't want the coal dust blowing through town. That's why the hill is off limits now. Looks like they will be straightening up the place and labeling trails, and mapping them. Of course there will be a fee but the coal company's pass is 100$ anyway.

Looks like an awesome place to go out and ride, I am working on planning a trip down there soon. I don't like riding alone for obvious reasons and would like to meet up with someone down there.

Let me know,

Dan

Used to ride the Trevorton area quite often til last couple years they've been making progress with the AOAA park and cracking down on trespassers. A lot of the guys I know that used to ride there have transitioned to the St Clair/Minersville area which is free of the park BS but most of the riding area is owned by Reading Anthracite, not like Trevorton where their property ownership was little to none at best. Do you have a RAC permit? Check this website out and register for more info on the area, setting up ride meets and purchasing a permit.

CoalCountryRiders.com

Used to ride the Trevorton area quite often til last couple years they've been making progress with the AOAA park and cracking down on trespassers. A lot of the guys I know that used to ride there have transitioned to the St Clair/Minersville area which is free of the park BS but most of the riding area is owned by Reading Anthracite, not like Trevorton where their property ownership was little to none at best. Do you have a RAC permit? Check this website out and register for more info on the area, setting up ride meets and purchasing a permit.

CoalCountryRiders.com

Thanks for the info. I wanted to get a RAC permit but I'm 17 and it was saying I had to take some kinda education course to gain a permit. I work a full time job so I don't know where I'd fit the time in plus I live in NY not PA.

I ride there frequently. The big hill is off limits now. They are building a trail system there also. I heard people are being harassed by the new cop also, even with Reading Coal's property pass. I'll be there next weekend for a family reunion(wife) and be doing some research. The locals are ok about riding they just don't want the coal dust blowing through town. That's why the hill is off limits now. Looks like they will be straightening up the place and labeling trails, and mapping them. Of course there will be a fee but the coal company's pass is 100$ anyway.

That sounds like they're really making it a good place to ride, I just wish I could get my hands on a RAC permit.

Just clarify for everyone as to what's going on in this area of PA. The AOAA or Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area is its own entity, separate from Reading Anthracite Corp. The AOAA area is off limits currently unless you purchase a Anthracite Trail Riders membership which is $20 I believe then $40 for the year but you can only go on a weekend when an ATR member is there to open the gate for you. No coming and going as you please until the park officially opens, check the website for info on becoming an ATR member, estimated open date for the park and more info such as estimated prices for daily and yearly permits. 

http://www.anthraciteadventure.com/pages/Home.aspx

The AOAA property covers roughly 6,000 acres of land from just south of Shamokin and further east towards Locust Gap. As I said its still in the development phase and will take a while until they finally open the park to the public. When it is finally opened it will be marked trails (with a map i'm assuming), designated campsites, hunting area's and horseback riding, designated hiking trails, etc etc. Not just dirtbike/quad trails but more of like a large all encompassing recreation area. 

In comparison, the $125/year Reading Anthracite permit allows you access to 25,000 acres of their land which is scattered in sections throughout most of eastern PA. The permit also allows you to hunt on their property during hunting season with a valid PA hunting license. Information on the RAC permit can be found here.

http://www.readinganthracite.com/access-permits/

Permits expire on the last day of December regardless of when you purchase them, so save your money and buy one come January 2014. The appeal for me to RAC is the endless possibilities of trails and riding areas, as well as the freedom (sometimes dangerous tho) of riding completely un marked trails and being able to explore and get lost to your hearts content. Obviously you need to stay off private land and know where the RAC property boundries are. But the trails are exceedingly endless and there's many areas you can park and set up a base location out of. Hope this helps clear up any confusion or misconceptions about who owns what and the details of the park vs RAC, etc. Until they completely open up the park, I'm sticking with riding RAC property in the St Clair area. It really is amazing. Plus it cuts another 30-40mins of my drive going to St Clair instead of further west to Shamokin. 

Edited by BoogieMan84
  • Like 1

Any new updates about this riding spot. I've ridden in Carbondale for 15 years and never took the ride down to trevorton . Looking to take a ride out there on November 8th