Sign in to follow this  

Looking to Get a 400 xcw

Hey, i am currently selling my yz250f in order to get something i can tag. So far i have been pretty set on a DRZ400 but i sat on one today and wasnt all too impressed. Which leads me to KTM. I know they are going to require more maintenance than a DRZ, but how much more? Will i be checking valves and chaining oil more than i am riding? Also, i was looking up pistions and such for a 07 400 exc and i couldnt find anything other than a factory ktm one? Riding will be about 80% offroad and 20% on. Will i be happy with a 400? How reliable are these bikes? thanks for any help! 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1049268-got-some-off-a-drz-to-a-ktm400/

Read my last reply...Which DRZ model did you test because there is a difference between certain years and models as far as weight and power. For instance the DRZ S model weighs more and has less power than the early DRZ E model. Then the SM Model is almost identical to the S except for the Suspension, Rims & Tires, and swing arm. My advice to you is if you can get a used DRZ for CHEAP you can put a little more money into it and really set it up to GO!!! FCR Carb, MRD/SSW. BB Kit OR you can even get one that already has all that. TO ME the DRZ is perfect for the street over dirt because of it's weight. The KTM400 is great as well BUT it's better suited for the trails and so far I haven't really seen any upgrades you can do to get more power out of it and BELIEVE ME eventually you're gonna want MORE. If the Stock DRZ didn't impress you as far as power then I think you will be very disappointed with the KTM400. If you ask me the KTM450 XC-W would be the perfect bike at the right price. It's everything I wished the DRZ was, HOWEVER, the DRZ has TONS of parts available and is EXTREMELY supported here on TT and online in general. There are tutorials for every situation you could possibly think of on the DRZ and the best part is it's very maintenance friendly and reliable. Not to say the KTM's aren't reliable but I am finding that for the XC-W model at least there aren't as many resources as the DRZ...I mean not even close.

Anyway read my other post I hope it helps you with your decision...GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks. I think im going to go with a KTM. I would rather have to do a little bit of work and research on my own and have fun while riding than get something that im never going to be happy with, but not have to tinker on. DRZ guys helped me out too.http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1050335-will-i-be-happy-with-a-drz/

Anyone with any other input?

For 80 percent off road I'd go with the KTM. Both are great bikes, but in the trails the KTM will shine. What years are you looking at?

I totally had dyslexia when I read that the first time I thought you said "80% on road"...But the other way around KTM HANDS DOWN!!!

After trailing with the DRZ for so long it's amazing to me how I can throw this KTM around and do SOOO much more without worrying that the bike is gonna SMASH ME!!!

I just changed my front sprocket from a 14t to a 12t....I read somewhere that it is the first thing you should do to wake up the torque on this thing. Haven't had time to ride it yet but I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks. I think im going to go with a KTM. I would rather have to do a little bit of work and research on my own and have fun while riding than get something that im never going to be happy with, but not have to tinker on. DRZ guys helped me out too.http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1050335-will-i-be-happy-with-a-drz/

Anyone with any other input?

I had a '06 KTM SX 450 for trail/off road riding (for 5 yrs) and a '00 DRZ 400 S for d/sing and off roading that required a tag (that I  bought new in '00). I sold them both recently and picked up a clean, low hour, plated '06 KTM EXC 450 and feel I've got the best of both worlds.

I say get the KTM, just be prepared to do a little more maintenance. 

RB