Will i be happy with a DRZ?

The time has come to sell my old reliable yz250f and get something with a tag. I have been looking at DRZs and was pretty set on one untill i sat on one toady. It just didnt feel right to me, it felt short and  wide? i know im crazy. My riding will be about 80% offroad and 20% on. I would like to get a sm for the inverted forks and put dirt tires on it. Any problems with this? Also, Will i be happy or disappointed  with the power of the DRZ coming off of an 02 yz250f? Would a KTM with a tag be a better bet for me? thanks for any help!

I believe the handle bars on the DRZ are wider than most dirtbikes.

If you buy the SM, you might find yourself spending more time riding like a hooligan on the road than the dirt.

The SM is a road bike and is geared as such.

Toss a big rear sprocket and a smaller front sprocket on it, and it'll feel more like your yz.

It's always cheaper to convert from SM to S then the other way around.

IMO you will be more than happy with a DRZ...When it came time for myself to buy a bike the DRZ was not even in the picture then i got to ride one and it was all over after that.  You may be disappointed with the power on a stock bike coming from the YZ but with a bit of money into it or even a used bike with mods you could be happy.  If your planning on 80/20 dirt to street(respectively) go with the S model or ride both and see what you like.

• Like 1

.No, I quote name="steven03" post="11098979" timestamp="1381357421"]

The time has come to sell my old reliable yz250f and get something with a tag. I have been looking at DRZs and was pretty set on one untill i sat on one toady. It just didnt feel right to me, it felt short and wide? i know im crazy. My riding will be about 80% offroad and 20% on. I would like to get a sm for the inverted forks and put dirt tires on it. Any problems with this? Also, Will i be happy or disappointed with the power of the DRZ coming off of an 02 yz250f? Would a KTM with a tag be a better bet for me? thanks for any help!

The sm is suited to road.

The s e and k are 80/20 bikes, dirt first.

The e will be closer in power but still not a yz.

No, I don't think the Drz will make you happy

The DRZ is a lazy dirt bike.  A yz you have to work to go fast, but it will go faster.  They are completely different dirt bikes.  Don't take the DRZ to the Track, you'll be very disappointed.  If you take the DRZ on a long woods ride and put a ton of miles on it, you'll love it.

• Like 2

The DRZ is a lazy dirt bike.  A yz you have to work to go fast, but it will go faster.  They are completely different dirt bikes.  Don't take the DRZ to the Track, you'll be very disappointed.  If you take the DRZ on a long woods ride and put a ton of miles on it, you'll love it.

Yeh, they are completely different bikes.....but then you know that already. The question becomes, what and where are you going with this new ride? If you want the bike to be able to commute on the street to ride the same places you rode the YZ, then you'll undoubtedly be disappointed, since like Toadl is saying, they are completely different bikes. If, however, you've graduated from flying around out in the dirt and want more of a dual-sport, then you probably found the right bike. There are lots of opinions on here about different bikes, but they all tend to be relating to the individual who is posting and his or her needs and riding desires. KTM is a very popular alternative, and offers some really nice bikes that do the same thing.....definitely more money for one, and I honestly don't consider them as full proof, but that's me.

• Like 1

Think im going to go the KTM route. i just hope it will be as reliable as my yz, thus why i was looking at drzs

Mate the ktms are pretty reliable aslong as you stay on top on maintenance. I've just ordered a 500 exc and will get it sometime next week. I spent two weeks researching read the whole 400 plus forum thread on advrider forums and I doupt ill regret my decision.

My own research found that these bikes are easily capable of 300 to 400 hours and provably more. I found some of the older 525 and 530s with the rfs motor with 15to 25k miles without needing a rebuild.

If you're after a weekend bike, don't mind wrenching I'd ho the ktm

If youre lazy with maintenance, ride alot of road, commute get the drz.

Never thought I'd hear so much bad stuff on the DRZ in a DRZ forum...

Anyhow, In my opinion, if you're looking for track riding and racing, the DRZ isn't for you, but if you're looking for a great dirt bike to go out with friends and such, it will be amazing.

The DRZ has tons of power, some say its too powerful for dirt riding, I do agree that in some points it is too agressive when you need to stay on low speed in some complicated tiny spots, it responds aggressivly to the throttle.

Anyhow, like I said, if you're looking for a nice dirt bike, and with a good rider I've seen people do amazing stuff with it, sickest hill climbs and even one of my mates climbed a small wall with it, it is nice, and its a fun hooligan bike for the road, but watch out, it'll make you fool around on the roads, the power is pretty tempting.

Never thought I'd hear so much bad stuff on the DRZ in a DRZ forum...

Anyhow, In my opinion, if you're looking for track riding and racing, the DRZ isn't for you, but if you're looking for a great dirt bike to go out with friends and such, it will be amazing.

The DRZ has tons of power, some say its too powerful for dirt riding, I do agree that in some points it is too agressive when you need to stay on low speed in some complicated tiny spots, it responds aggressivly to the throttle.

Anyhow, like I said, if you're looking for a nice dirt bike, and with a good rider I've seen people do amazing stuff with it, sickest hill climbs and even one of my mates climbed a small wall with it, it is nice, and its a fun hooligan bike for the road, but watch out, it'll make you fool around on the roads, the power is pretty tempting.

it's not bad or negative, just a realistic view of what he's looking for vs what the drz is. 

If you are riding 80-20 off road, go find a KTM. The DRZ is a great bike and I love mine, but it is a better street bike than a dirt bike. With that being said, you can do everything on it off road, it is just harder. I can ride everything that my KTM buddies are ridding, but I have to work much harder than they do. I am a big guy, in decent riding condition and the DRz wears me down in the technical stuff and when the pace is closer to race than trail speeds. 

I bought mine late this summer and have been riding the wheels of the bike. Mostly dualsport type rides and woods. I have also been running my errands on it and have been using it instead of my truck whenever I can. Under these conditions, the bike shines and it's owner is just having blast.

Hope my input helps and good luck with your bike search! ?

• Like 1