Sign in to follow this  

How to make a 2 stroke quiet? need help

ok guys i sold my yamaha blaster which is a 2 stroke and i use to get the police called on my a lot, and im looking a to buy a yz250 but the noice worries me greatly because it seems even tho the 4 strokes are louder ppl do not mind them as much because of the way they sound, anyways before i go out and spend money on a 2 stroke dirt bike i need to know a way to get them as quiet as possible like under 90 dbs, i looked at db snorkel but they are discontinued which really sucks, if it cant be dont i may have to look at getting a yz250f which will suck because i dont like the complexity of the engine and all the maintenance please help.

i ride in the trails it is legal and i just want a way to make everyone happy, i really dont have to make it quiet since i can ride there legally but people live around that area and i dont want to upset them because if i were in there position i wouldnt want to have to hear a loud pinging 2 stroke all the time because i ride a lot, any thoughts?

• Like 1

ok i will check that out what about the fmf q silencer any good? also i read that wrapping the expansion chamber and foam liner around the inside the air box and putting a lib on the airbox will reduce the db by a lot like getting me under 90 and thoughts on that?

Keep fresh packing in the stock can. Install a little elbow in the end of the exhaust, which points the sound to the ground, or do what the old timers used to do. Hose clamp a piece of inner tube over the end of the can. It will flap around, and break up the sound a lot! Looks goofy, but is really effective

• Like 3

The q stealth is a good silencer it just spooges a lot I had that before I bought the x3 off a member here and it solved the spooge problem immediately.

• Like 1

ok thxs i will look into all suggestions, i just would rather have a 2 stroke then a 4 i havent brought and bike yet but i have ridden a kx125 with a fmf shorty and man its a police magnet just because we read on legal trails doesnt mean we still dont have the police called on us because it your over 94 db your screwed with a noice ticket so i want to be in the high 80's 

I have a FMF "the Q" silencer, (not the "Q stealth") and compared to stock, it does make it more quite. But it still only makes my bike around 95/96 DB. Its a great silencer, i didnt notice any power loss. In my honest opinion i would just get a silencer like the Leo Vince or FMF "the Q" and ride your bike! I'm not sure if people would complain with one of those...

I agree with nathan. 2 strokes are a lot quieter then those piped 4 strokes. I cant believe how lout some of those exhausts are.

ehh i dont know about that even at 93db which the Q silencer says it will bring it down to it still kinda loud, i also had a honda 300ex which made like 70db it was sooo quiet now im not expecting that but i would like to get to 88 89, so i think this is what im going to do, get the full fmf exhaust and the fmf pipe will be the q stealth silencer then buy thermo tec heat wrap, (it will look ugly) but oh well and then put foam liner in the airbox because those make a lot of noise and then put a wrap over the airbox, (like a lid) and that should do the trick, this way were all happy, and it beats buying a yz250f because i dont like adjusting valves cam chains the extensive work in rebuilding the engine frequent and often oil changes the list goes on.

you could send me the motor and in return i will send you a replacement electric motor and battery pack, silent power. Will have as much torque as a 450

• Like 1

95 DB of two stroke is alot more quite then 95 DB of 4 stroke. the 4 stroke sound carries FAR. 2 stroke sound waves dont carry as far. IMO, getting a 4 stroke for the noise "reduction" is back pedling a bit.

get a FMF Q and ride and dont worry.

Also if you were getting called on a blaster you will get called on a yz no matter what silencer you go with. With that said just cause the cops are called doesnt make you illegal. Just have proper equipment and ride and dont sweat the small stuff.

you could send me the motor and in return i will send you a replacement electric motor and battery pack, silent power. Will have as much torque as a 450

I will trade a yz250 motor for an electric conversion any day of the week. Then sell it and and buy another yz250

I have a Q Stealth. It's quieter at idle, maybe a little quieter at speed. Put on a plastic skid plate like a TMD, it doesn't bounce sound around. Put foam between the plate and engine too. Line the underneath side of your tank, the airbox and bottom of seat with sound absorbant foam, not just any old foam will do. Wrap the expansion chamber with header wrap, carbon pipe guard, do the tube on the exhaust thing, and you should be down to something crazy like low 80s dB.

I know when I rde with people, they always say how quiet my bike is. They can hear a 2T behind them, but they think it's further away. It's nice to sneak up behind people and blow them away when they're not expecting it.

ok guys i sold my yamaha blaster which is a 2 stroke and i use to get the police called on my a lot, and im looking a to buy a yz250 but the noice worries me greatly because it seems even tho the 4 strokes are louder ppl do not mind them as much because of the way they sound, anyways before i go out and spend money on a 2 stroke dirt bike i need to know a way to get them as quiet as possible like under 90 dbs, i looked at db snorkel but they are discontinued which really sucks, if it cant be dont i may have to look at getting a yz250f which will suck because i dont like the complexity of the engine and all the maintenance please help.

If you are considering the FMF Q, then spend the extra $30 and get the Q Stealth. There are some good threads here about the Q Stealth. Search. It seems like a great silencer for noise vs power.

If you get too much spooge then just go leaner on the jet you are mostly riding on, or get the #8 slide from JD.

Our YZ250s in Aus come with the Euro spec silencer, and when properly and freshly packed they are pretty quiet. Certainly at low RPMs and low throttle opening, there is a lot more noise from the cylinder and pipe, then you get out the tail pipe.

If your YZ is jetted correctly, then you'll have more low RPM torque and wont need to rev as often.  My YZ295 is as quiet as a KTM300 EXC in the bush. Very quiet because I rarely need to open it right up. Even when taped out, the sound travels much less distance than a typical 4 stroke.

You could also consider the Gnarly pipe. It'll let you ride faster at lower revs, and the heavier gauge steel will reduce the amount of sound coming directly off the pipe.

Good jetting an decent exhaust muffling is all you need for a 2 stroke. They then sound great. Way less irritating for your neighbours or you compared to any thumper.  Setup right, you could ride a 2 stroke fast between trees just 100 yards from someone's house, and they would hear you inside their home over the sound of their own TV. No joke.   It can be a mellow sound which does not travel through walls or long distance.

Edited by numroe