NEW BIKE HELP! 4 STROKE OR 2 SMOKE

Hey guys! Here's my situation. I had a 2004 KTM SX 125 for 2 years that I absolutely loved. Recently, I saved up $1400 over the summer and traded the 125 and $1400 cash for a 2010 YZF 250 with a full FMF exhaust system and hot cams. This bike is a beast! I absolutely love it, BUT when the day comes that it blows (which I am aware that it could be in 4 years or it could be today) I really am not able to just come up with $1000 to just get the damn thing running again! So I have a guy who has a 2009 KTM SX 150 in great shape with a new crank, piston, and a replated cylinder and wants to give me his bike and $600. I am a die hard two stroke lover, a big KTM fan and really want to go back but i feel like the 250 will give me so much more potential to become a greater rider, and if the 150 has power like my 04 125 had (with a full PC pipe, VForce 3 Reeds, and a perfectly jetted carb) then I don't want it, that bike had no power in my opinion. I'm a 13 year old C class rider and have to come up with money on my own. And my thoughts are, for $1000, I could make a 150 faster and better then a 250F (suspension revalve, porting, exhaust, intake) and for a ATLEAST $1000, I could just get the bike running again until it blows again.. Logistics make me really want the two stroke, but I want the power and potential that the 250F gives me. What would you do in my situation?

IMG_20130917_174924.jpg

00o0o_2PPi1MWLQO9_600x450-1.jpg

Hey guys! Here's my situation. I had a 2004 KTM SX 125 for 2 years that I absolutely loved. Recently, I saved up $1400 over the summer and traded the 125 and $1400 cash for a 2010 YZF 250 with a full FMF exhaust system and hot cams. This bike is a beast! I absolutely love it, BUT when the day comes that it blows (which I am aware that it could be in 4 years or it could be today) I really am not able to just come up with $1000 to just get the damn thing running again! So I have a guy who has a 2009 KTM SX 150 in great shape with a new crank, piston, and a replated cylinder and wants to give me his bike and $600. I am a die hard two stroke lover, a big KTM fan and really want to go back but i feel like the 250 will give me so much more potential to become a greater rider, and if the 150 has power like my 04 125 had (with a full PC pipe, VForce 3 Reeds, and a perfectly jetted carb) then I don't want it, that bike had no power in my opinion. I'm a 13 year old C class rider and have to come up with money on my own. And my thoughts are, for $1000, I could make a 150 faster and better then a 250F (suspension revalve, porting, exhaust, intake) and for a ATLEAST $1000, I could just get the bike running again until it blows again.. Logistics make me really want the two stroke, but I want the power and potential that the 250F gives me. What would you do in my situation?

Without a doubt, i would take that 150 sx. You make a good point with the maintenance cost.If that sx blows, $300 TOPS, and you are good to go. Plus, training on a two stroke will make you a better rider for the future. Four strokes will also, no doubt. Its just that the clutch work on a two stroke takes a lot more work! Do the 150!

Why don't you just keep up on maintenance so it doesn't blow up? People don't buy 4 strokes expecting them to blow. Take care of your toys and they'll take care of you.

Good point. And I definitely take care of it, I've just seen too many horror stories and don't want to risk being that unlucky person.

Without a doubt, i would take that 150 sx. You make a good point with the maintenance cost.If that sx blows, $300 TOPS, and you are good to go. Plus, training on a two stroke will make you a better rider for the future. Four strokes will also, no doubt. Its just that the clutch work on a two stroke takes a lot more work! Do the 150!

Thanks for the input!

get the 2 stroke do the rebuild yourself very easy and for 150 bucks you got a new engine

Yeah that's what I'm thinking! A four strokes maintenance just to keep it from blowing up is expensive. Pistons cost more, I have to worry about valves and replacing them if there out of spec, keep an eye on the cam chain and maybe replace it, I have to check how the valves seat and might have to have them recut, its just so much more money.

No problem dude. Plus, being that you are 13, if i read that right.. a 150 will be much more controllable!

Yes it will be! I crashed the 250 a couple times last weekend hahaha. Have you ever ridden a 150? I really want to know what the power is like compared to an older model 125

Yeah that's what I'm thinking! A four strokes maintenance just to keep it from blowing up is expensive. Pistons cost more, I have to worry about valves and replacing them if there out of spec, keep an eye on the cam chain and maybe replace it, I have to check how the valves seat and might have to have them recut, its just so much more money.

Yes it will be! I crashed the 250 a couple times last weekend hahaha. Have you ever ridden a 150? I really want to know what the power is like compared to an older model 125

Ive raced a 144, 125, and 250. a 144 is pretty close! The power curve really isn't too significant from a 125, though it is a tad snappier on the bottom end power. I prefer my yz 250 2 smoke personally, but those may be a bit too heavy for ya!

Ive raced a 144, 125, and 250. a 144 is pretty close! The power curve really isn't too significant from a 125, though it is a tad snappier on the bottom end power. I prefer my yz 250 2 smoke personally, but those may be a bit too heavy for ya!

Ok thanks for the help!

the ktm 144 which is a 125 with a big bore and the ktm 150 are two completely different machines the 150 is built for the trails, and is great on the track at the same time unlike the 125 which is built for the track only, so the bottom end on the 150 will be much better then the 125 but not as good as the 250f so in between but its a great best of both worlds bike, hoped that helped.

the ktm 144 which is a 125 with a big bore and the ktm 150 are two completely different machines the 150 is built for the trails, and is great on the track at the same time unlike the 125 which is built for the track only, so the bottom end on the 150 will be much better then the 125 but not as good as the 250f so in between but its a great best of both worlds bike, hoped that helped.

The KTM 144 and 150 are the exact same bike, just in 2008 they called it a 144 and 2009 they called it a 150. And the 150 isn't built for no trails.. the xc 150 is made for trails.. The 150 offers more power through the whole range too, but I wasn't expecting a 2 stroke to ever have as much bottom end as a 4 banger
  • Like 1

ktm 150 sx's have more horsepower than a 250f stock for stock.  It's also cheaper to fix.  aslong as you keep your bottom end in good shape, replacing everything on the top end is like 350 bucks max.     

For my 200 EXC its around 200 AUD for a top end kit.

If you have to replace the barrel or crank thats another story.

I'm not convinced a thumper is such a bad choice.

The difference is less than you think in piston kits (negligable compared to labour anyway)

Changing oil and filters is not hard, and you can buy them in bulk.

I could be wrong, but aren't cam chains lifetime of the engine parts? its not a belt.

You shim valves if they are out of spec, they do wear out too also.