Sign in to follow this  

Most Painful DR650 Spill Yet

And the bike motor was off. Here's how it happened. I belong to a hunting lease in which the roads into it are blocked from non-members of the lease. There are two large diameter metal pipes sunk into cement on both sides of the entrance. Cut-outs are made in the two pipes large enough to allow a smaller diameter pipe to fit through. The smaller diameter pipe goes through both cut-outs of the larger pipes. The smaller pipe is about 3 feet off the ground and blocks the entrance. One end of the smaller pipe has a rod welded to it which prevents that end of the pipe from being pulled through the larger pipe. The other end of the smaller pipe has a hole drilled through it for a padlock. When the padlock is on, the smaller pipe cannot be slid through the larger pipe cut-outs. Thus, the entrance is blocked. All members of the lease have padlock keys which allow the members to gain access. The entrance I was taking the bike to has a small hill from the main road to the gate. I killed the engine and coasted down to the gate. Not really sure what happened when I reached the gate but the bike started to tip to the right side. From past experience when this happens, there is no way I can stop it with one foot on the ground. When the bike tipped, I struck the pipe with my right shoulder. Very painful. Didn't know if I could even ride the bike home. Made it home but top of right shoulder was swelled badly and very painful. Couldn't move my right arm to the left side because of the pain. Thought I had either fractured a clavicle of got a rotator cuff injury. Went to the doctor the next day for X-rays. No broken bone and no injury to rotator cuff. Final diagnosis was a very bad shoulder bruise. Was told it would probably heal within a week if I didn't use my right arm to any great extent. Lesson learned- The DR650 is a very heavy bike and may be impossible to keep upright when it starts to tip. But I already knew this from past experience. Just bad luck to be near the gate when it happened. But it could have been worse. Could have struck the gate with head or neck. Was just luck I contacted the gate with my shoulder. Still very painful and have limited use of my right arm. But should hopefully be healed by start of Black Powder season on October 19. Would hate to take the recoil of a high powered rifle in my right shoulder if it's not healed.

1 week to heal if your 18, which you're not.  I'd give it 1 week to feel better and 3 to 4 to feel back to normal.

I learned while racing when going down hill it's good to use a little throttle.  I know it seem like a bad idea, but before this I used to brake a lot and the bike would slide sideways and was difficult to control.  You can use the gas to straighten the bike out.  Going down hills with the engine off is a bad idea.  I tried doing it in the Black Hills, SD last summer because my bike was really hot.  I learned that was a bad idea.  I had absolutely no control and fell down several times before I learned my lesson.  A little obstacle can stop your momentum and stopped bikes don't stay standing for very long.

I've been enjoying reading your threads through the summer.  I'm glad you are keeping at it.  Don't loose your enthusiasm.

Shoot left handed :thumbsup:

Too old to learn switch-hitting at age 64. If push comes to shove, will devise some form of heavy duty shoulder padding. Both Wolf and 7600 have long been sighted in from previous years but I usually take a minimum of 15 practice shots before each season opening. Would probably forgo the practice shots this year and hope that any shots not happen until later in season. But black powder allows does and fair chance of getting a shot. Won't really know what I'll do until day before season opening.

1 week to heal if your 18, which you're not.  I'd give it 1 week to feel better and 3 to 4 to feel back to normal.

I learned while racing when going down hill it's good to use a little throttle.  I know it seem like a bad idea, but before this I used to brake a lot and the bike would slide sideways and was difficult to control.  You can use the gas to straighten the bike out.  Going down hills with the engine off is a bad idea.  I tried doing it in the Black Hills, SD last summer because my bike was really hot.  I learned that was a bad idea.  I had absolutely no control and fell down several times before I learned my lesson.  A little obstacle can stop your momentum and stopped bikes don't stay standing for very long.

I've been enjoying reading your threads through the summer.  I'm glad you are keeping at it.  Don't loose your enthusiasm.

The doctor said I could do as much normal activity as I wanted to. It was simply a matter of whether or not I was willing to take the pain. Normal activity, regardless of pain level, would not make the injury worse. The injury would simply stay the same. As activity level decreased, healing would occur faster. As activity level increased, healing would slow down or stay the same. This leaves a lot of flexibility. The wife put herself on the disabled list after the telephone pole spill. I'm not ready yet to officially put myself on the disabled list after the iron pipe spill. May still ride before next year, dependent on healing and weather. In any case, we're both looking forward to the next riding season.

Armored pressure suit or moto jacket. Most come with shoulder armor.

Riding gear has gotten MUCH better in the last few decades. I remember when a bubble-shield helmet, jeans, a leather or denim jacket, leather gloves, and high-top shoes or workboots was considered "fully geared up" for non-competitive riding. Now, even gloves and pants offer armor.

Edited by Kommando

I remember now exactly what happened. I experience short time memory loss at times. Most likely due to medication for bipolar disorder or age 64. Maybe a combination of both. Sometimes I can't even remember what I had for supper the night before. But something happened which jogged my memory for this injury. Bruises started appearing on the upper right side of my chest and armpit area a few days ago. From spills both myself and my wife have experienced we have found out that bruises for injuries sometimes don't show up until many days later. I couldn't figure out why I didn't break any shoulder bones from hitting the pipe. It turns out I didn't hit the pipe with my shoulder. I hit the pipe in the armpit area and hit the pavement hard but more or less flat with my shoulder. This would have spread out the impact on the shoulder. Enough to do a muscle and bone bruise but just short of a fracture. Here's what happened. I parked the bike at the bottom of the hill near the gate. Kickstand was down. I always get on and off the bike on the right side. In the middle of getting off the bike it started to tip. Most likely due to parking it at a weird angle on an incline. Only had one foot on the right side of the bike when it started to tip. Bike tipped and slammed me into the pipe around the armpit area. Bounced off the pipe and slammed shoulder hard to the pavement. Remember now most of the pain came from the shoulder. Right now still have swelling and pain in the right clavicle. Suspect a clavicle bone bruise. Sharp pain in the shoulder joint sometimes. Can't bring my right arm to the left without pain. Also get pain (less) when trying to move to the right and upward. Can't shoulder a rifle from the right side without pain. Also get some pain, not as much though, when trying to shoulder the rifle left-handed. Too much pain to try to shoot from either hand, much less taking the recoil. Can't hunt under these conditions. I'll tell you something though. I'll never park a bike on an incline again. Been out less than ten times this year and got injuries from three spills (if you classify falling off a parked bike as a spill). Wife got injury from one spill for two times out. I'm running a three in ten chance of getting injured each time out (point estimate). Both my wife and I'll ride dual-up next year and me solo again even with the accident's and injuries we had. Better than sitting in a rocking chair. Something existential at work I suppose.

I crashed a lot in the beginning of the summer too.  What's that they say, things happen in 3's.  The last race I did I didn't fall or kill the engine once.  So things do get better.  I'm a little sick in the head though, and when I get hurt, the pain reminds me of the fun I was having.  I hope you continue to heal well.  Those slow falls can be the worst for some reason.  Sorry to hear about the lose of your hunting season.  Your wife is a good women and very brave.

I crashed a lot in the beginning of the summer too.  What's that they say, things happen in 3's.  The last race I did I didn't fall or kill the engine once.  So things do get better.  I'm a little sick in the head though, and when I get hurt, the pain reminds me of the fun I was having.  I hope you continue to heal well.  Those slow falls can be the worst for some reason.  Sorry to hear about the lose of your hunting season.  Your wife is a good women and very brave.

I'm beginning to wonder if the medication I'm on is affecting my concentration and judgment. First spill in the driveway might be explained. But the other two never should have happened. My wife and I will definitely look into some kind of riding protection before next riding season. Might be something as simple as padded street riding jackets. Might be my imagination, but I might be seeing some minor improvement. Brother-in-law says you won't be thinking about pain when you pull up on a deer. Might be right. Adrenalin rush might do it. Do know the effect of adrenalin on shooting from personal experience. When practicing on range, scope crosshairs wander around target. But never wander on a deer. I'm always rock-solid with crosshairs on a deer. Attribute it to adrenalin. Both Wolf and 7600 are sighted in. But will pass up practice shots this year. Don't want to shoot and take a chance of further injury except on a deer. Not my style not to practice before season, but have to adapt to injury this year. You do what you have to do, even if it's not optimum. If opportunity presents, might pass up does and spike's. Might be crazy, but don't get a rush anymore on shooting a deer. Mellowed out with age. But feel need to keep reputation going in this neck of the woods. Successful hunter's around here get respect from the locals. Probably just vanity at play now, at least for me.

Thought about an xt225?

Wife wanted to go dual-up. That pretty much knocked out bikes less than 600cc out of the running. If I was going solo only, it would have been one of the 200cc dual sports.

I'm beginning to wonder if the medication I'm on is affecting my concentration and judgment. 

It's definitely affecting your ability to write an interesting story.

Falling is riding.