Sign in to follow this  

Project 2006 Yamaha YZ125

Hey folks!

This is my first post and I figured I would start it out with my latest project bike.  I've been riding moto since I was 4 years old and love everything from tight singletrack to perfectly groomed tracks like zaca.

Bought this 2006 yz125 for $1200 needed a bottom end.  

So far I've gotten the following for the next steps;

- Bottom end complete overhaul

- Fresh Top end

- New Pro Tapers (windham bend black oversize)

- White Grips

- Tore the wheels down and got the rims powdercoated white

- polished the hubs

- white spoke wraps

- UFO Restyled OEM colored plastic kit

- Custom RehabMX/RubitMX graphics

Here's the bike as of the day I bought it and today...

p4pb10193767.jpg

p4pb10193766.jpg

I'll keep you posted as I start putting her together and see how she turns out!  Any suggestions on the following would be appreciated.

- Pipes...Scavinni? Stock? DEP?  (don't really want to go with the standard FMF/PC unless its the best for this year yz)

- Seat cover color/type

- Debating port/polish/deck the head vs having a more dependable 91 octane 125.  thoughts?

- Suspension valving?  I weigh 155lbs and run intermediate pace so stock might be perfect?

- Anything else you guys have found as testimony that makes this bike rip let me know!  

FEEL FREE TO POST PICS OF YOUR YZ125 PROJECTS TOO for inspiration haha.

SP

• Like 1

Hi kawi,welcome to TT.Great bike for sure,and at your weight you should have an absolute blast.A few thing's I know that work for (me) is,,,,stock pipe,Boyesen reed's.Please check out Moto-Seat,you can have it made with any color and as many rib's as you like and the quality is top notch.I think all you need to do to the suspension is dial it in for you.

id choose DEP or Scalvini. i heard that DEP has a little fitting issues with the yz.

and do a build thread

+1 on doing a build thread,great first post btw   :thumbsup:

Hi kawi,welcome to TT.Great bike for sure,and at your weight you should have an absolute blast.A few thing's I know that work for (me) is,,,,stock pipe,Boyesen reed's.Please check out Moto-Seat,you can have it made with any color and as many rib's as you like and the quality is top notch.I think all you need to do to the suspension is dial it in for you.

Thanks for the tips!  I think I will be getting a seat from Moto-seat!

id choose DEP or Scalvini. i heard that DEP has a little fitting issues with the yz.

and do a build thread

I can't seem to get a Scalvini for the price I want here locally so I think I might run the stock pipe for a bit and see how she runs.  

I want to see those white rims!

Also, it looks like you ride mountain bikes... got a set of fox forks you want to send me? :ride:

I should get the rims back in hand this week and then lace them up over the weekend and will post pics.  I do ride mtn bike quite a bit too and my roomate has some forks for sale if you're needin one!  All Fox 32/36's.  Let me know what you want!

+1 on doing a build thread,great first post btw   :thumbsup:

thanks! I'm excited I'll post a pic of my last two bikes I put together too in this thread!

Stock motor stock pipe is good

This sounds good for me for now...Kinda a silly question but do you know anyone that has stripped the stock pipe of the black and what it looks like raw?

Thanks guys!

Unless you plan on spending more time cleaning your pipe than the bike, don't strip it! Factory paint lasts a long time. I made the mistake of painting mine.

Not that I have seen prob look good, my stock pipe is put away it got replaced with an FMF factory fatty when I 144'd the bike.

pretty sure this is a raw stock pipe,maybe sherrif245 can confirm this for you?

DSC_0185.jpg

Edited by smezmx
  • Like 2

Here are a couple of my old projects I did last year.  2009 rmz450 and a 2002 RM125 fully build and gone through 

p4pb10196321.jpg

p4pb10196320.jpg

• Like 2

You need more MTB's looks like to me. :thumbsup:

I've got a lotta mtb stuff posted on my pinkbike page if you're on there!  :thumbsup:

Hey Folks!  

Just a quick update...

I haven't finished much up since I was out in Orlando for the last week for work and just got back friday BUT after the wedding I attended on Saturday I managed to do the following small tasks;

- Put in new wheel bearings front/rear

- Cleaned up the Airbox, air filter and all fitments

- Cleaned out the carb, jets ect

- Put on Pro Taper oversize adapters 

- Started putting on the new plastics kit 

- Plasti dipped the hubs black while waiting for my rims to get back from being powdercoated white (don't hate on the plastidip lol)

Things to come next:

- Ordered up some GPI (chinese) radiators for $85 shipped since mine are tweaked a little bit.

- Bottom and Top end sitting on my workbench

- Pro taper EVO bars (windham black bend) on order

- Picked up white ODI grips

- Put the order in for my graphics kit, we'll see what he comes up with for me!

Here's a couple pics of the slow progress and I will DEFINITELY have more up probably next week once I get some stuff put on.

p4pb10211819.jpg

p4pb10211816.jpg

Still to come and debating on...

- Exhaust (either DEP w/ shorty, GYTR pipe w/ Shorty, Factory FMF Fatty w/ shorty)

- Seat Cover from the MotoSeat.com guys (not sure on colors yet)

- Case covers, either boysen/factory connection or GYTR

Any opinions or thoughts are welcome! 

SP

Edited by kawi008

great work!

it´s pretty cool to see how the bikes evolve from the beginning to the end, i love to read such threads

"- Case covers, either boysen/factory connection or GYTR"

i did'nt know that factory connection sold case cover's?.i think the boyesen cover's look cool and give the best bang for the buck.pro circuit sell a nice clutch cover but they are pricey though. $169.95.you can get both boyesen cover's for less than that.the gytr cover is $138.00

you prolly already know all this but i was bored so :lol:

ccy05125-800x800.jpg

Edited by smezmx

Thanks for following guys and help with ideas!

Got the hoops back last night and lacing them up today!

p4pb10214889.jpg

Gonna be interesting! 

• Like 3

pretty sure this is a raw stock pipe,maybe sherrif245 can confirm this for you?

DSC_0185.jpg

Yes, that is my OEM pipe. Maintenance isn't hard at all, I just wipe it with penetrating oil after washing the bike. Takes one minute and it's ready to go. After a few rides it becomes a dark brown color with flashes of blue, purple and gold. Nothing beats that look.

Those white rims look sick! can't wait to see how the dipped hubs will hold up.

• Like 1

Check your shift stopper. Read up on it on Tt checked it out and the wheel on it was completely gone. Replace with a 07.

I like the idea of what you did Sheriff and looked at my stock pipe which was more mangled than I had pictured when I took it off so I just got this and it's on its way here this week! 

p4pb10216313.jpg

Naeve44 - Thanks for the tip!  I looked into this when I first ordered the stuff but wasn't sure of the part number I need to get, do you happen to have the 07 part number from yamaha or clawsons for me to reference when ordering this piece so that I can put that in while the bikes torn down?

Thanks!