Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport kit wiring

Hi guys. Newbie here (not to bikes tho), just recently bought an '06 with like, zero use on it, had it up and running and strong as can be (a buddy with a low hours crfx said it was snappier than his and it's got no wear anywhere, even on the bottom). So I'm pretty stoked about that and am happy with the deal.

It's got the Baja Designs kit and while that's real slick, the installer screwed it up a bit and the more I dig into the wiring the more I wonder if it was all his fault. First though, the reason I dug into it was that I lost fire and the logical place to look seemed to be the twisted together splices and other questionable stuff. Mostly on the starter circuit which works and I haven't found a "gotcha" on the fire yet, but it was working great just riding it around the yard and then nada.

So this kit, like I say pretty slick but the PO added that and the key switch (gadget freak but not a good installer) and so this thing has too many ways to shut it off. Key switch, OK I can see that. Kill switch on the new switch housing, again OK. But it makes no sense at all to me to kill the ignition when the headlight switch is turned off. Especially if the starter will still run which it does. So I removed the jumpers to the headlight switch and ran a new pair of wires from those terminals in case I need that switch function in some way for the parking light. Now the light switch won't have anything to do with the ignition. As it should be in my opinion. Turn your lights off and kill your engine? I sort of wonder whose brain child that was, but I guess it was the headlight regs that caused it.

So yeah, about that parking light, more weirdness. Someone cut the leads off right at the plug, and then for the life of me I can't quite see where it was connected to start with. Well it's there, the switch is there, seems like it should work. But now I'm into the question of where the power comes from.

OK, so I've got no owner's manual but did download the Honda shop manual and I'm still pretty confused about how the system works. The headlight comes on only when the bike is running but the tail light stays on after it is off and until the headlight switch is turned off so it seems clear they are powered from different sources. How is that even possible when there is only one supply wire running to the headlight switch? Something is definitely strange here. For such a simple system it sure seems full of twists and turns. If I was thinking a little straighter I'm sure it wouldn't seem as difficult but right now it's a real puzzle. At a guess maybe the headlight is the only thing on that one side of the charging coil and the other lights, horn and charging are on the battery side maybe? So still, how does the headlight switch turn off the headlight? I mean I get that the high/low switch pops the relay but what cuts off the feed? If you're feeding power through the headlight switch and that just switches a relay then you don't cut the power regardless of whether the relay is feeding the high or low beam and cutting power to the high/low switch just switches you to low beam. I don't see where that helps. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to rewire the headlight slider switch to make it work right, and even my extra lead pair from the kill contacts on the headlight switch don't help because they are on in both the park and headlight positions. Drat. I've already had this thing apart twice.

And the worst part, still no clue on the no fire situation and I was planning on riding it Sunday. Better get with it I guess. With no kill switch connected it should have fire I guess. Anything else in particular I should be looking for?

Jim

Hi guys. Newbie here (not to bikes tho), just recently bought an '06 with like, zero use on it, had it up and running and strong as can be (a buddy with a low hours crfx said it was snappier than his and it's got no wear anywhere, even on the bottom). So I'm pretty stoked about that and am happy with the deal.

It's got the Baja Designs kit and while that's real slick, the installer screwed it up a bit and the more I dig into the wiring the more I wonder if it was all his fault. First though, the reason I dug into it was that I lost fire and the logical place to look seemed to be the twisted together splices and other questionable stuff. Mostly on the starter circuit which works and I haven't found a "gotcha" on the fire yet, but it was working great just riding it around the yard and then nada.

So this kit, like I say pretty slick but the PO added that and the key switch (gadget freak but not a good installer) and so this thing has too many ways to shut it off. Key switch, OK I can see that. Kill switch on the new switch housing, again OK. But it makes no sense at all to me to kill the ignition when the headlight switch is turned off. Especially if the starter will still run which it does. So I removed the jumpers to the headlight switch and ran a new pair of wires from those terminals in case I need that switch function in some way for the parking light. Now the light switch won't have anything to do with the ignition. As it should be in my opinion. Turn your lights off and kill your engine? I sort of wonder whose brain child that was, but I guess it was the headlight regs that caused it.

So yeah, about that parking light, more weirdness. Someone cut the leads off right at the plug, and then for the life of me I can't quite see where it was connected to start with. Well it's there, the switch is there, seems like it should work. But now I'm into the question of where the power comes from.

OK, so I've got no owner's manual but did download the Honda shop manual and I'm still pretty confused about how the system works. The headlight comes on only when the bike is running but the tail light stays on after it is off and until the headlight switch is turned off so it seems clear they are powered from different sources. How is that even possible when there is only one supply wire running to the headlight switch? Something is definitely strange here. For such a simple system it sure seems full of twists and turns. If I was thinking a little straighter I'm sure it wouldn't seem as difficult but right now it's a real puzzle. At a guess maybe the headlight is the only thing on that one side of the charging coil and the other lights, horn and charging are on the battery side maybe? So still, how does the headlight switch turn off the headlight? I mean I get that the high/low switch pops the relay but what cuts off the feed? If you're feeding power through the headlight switch and that just switches a relay then you don't cut the power regardless of whether the relay is feeding the high or low beam and cutting power to the high/low switch just switches you to low beam. I don't see where that helps. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to rewire the headlight slider switch to make it work right, and even my extra lead pair from the kill contacts on the headlight switch don't help because they are on in both the park and headlight positions. Drat. I've already had this thing apart twice.

And the worst part, still no clue on the no fire situation and I was planning on riding it Sunday. Better get with it I guess. With no kill switch connected it should have fire I guess. Anything else in particular I should be looking for?

Jim

If you want to start the repairs with a new wiring harness, I have a new DTS dual sport kit for your 450X for sale.

So fortunately the headlight slider is versatile, uncomplicated and easily rewired. Unfortunately the existing connections are pretty much exactly backwards for conventional use. But I do have paired contacts for an isolated headlight-on switch that can break the headlight charging circuit, and a dual position circuit that can power the tail light. Also one more contact pair that can power the parking light bulb. The hi/low beam pushbutton can stay the way it is except for its feed. No real use for the kill contacts that I know of unless there is some quirk in the charging circuit that might need it. Guess I'll be soldering and re-purposing wires tomorrow. When I get done I will have a slider switch that in the OFF position cuts the lights and lets the bike run, in the Park position lights up the little bulb, and in the Headlight position turns on the headlight and allows the red pushbutton to switch from high to low beam. Plus a kill button, and of course the horn and turn signal switch. That push to cancel TS switch is pretty slick btw. I can't imagine that park light was any use at all the way it was. Maybe why the wires were cut off.

Then after I have that sorted out I can get on with the ignition. Be nice if it just turned out to be a shorted plug but that rarely happens.

Jim

Thanks for the offer, but everything here is new and the bad bits are on the bike side of the harness for the most part. Of course rewiring the switch would be the same in either case.

But let me ask. Do you have wires coming out of the little bulb?

Jim

With the ignition off, and the motor off,  the brake light should still work.

With the motor off, and the ignition on, the headlight, turnsignals, brake running and brake light should still work.

That is standard DOT requirements.

If you have the wiring diagram from the Honda OEM manual, then you should be able to trace out the circuit. The headlight is fed from the AC circuit off the stator and the rest of the harness is fed from the battery via a relay and or a key switch. All you need to do is find out where he connected it to and you should be able to figure it out. You have both connections available behind the headlight. Sounds like you may have the ignition grounded out (kill switch) or he is using the key switch to (kill the circuit) If it's a Baja Designs Key switch, then there are four wires that two are closed and two are open in the off postion and they are reversed in the Key on postiion. I use both with a relay to turn on the bike and the lights which will also disable the starter button too.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I have it sorted for now but may change it a little later. This is an '06 with the key. Not like either description but now it is closer.

-brake light always works (rewired directly to the blue power lead).

-Park and tail light always work when switched on and can be switched off

-headlight works only with the engine running and can be switched off

-horn and turn signals always work

Key switch is a 2 lead kill only.

The headlight relay is removed and the high/low switches directly through the red button

That should work fine I think, I just have to be sure that I turn everything off and don't go away with the signals flashing or the lights turned on. It took a good bit of rewiring but I'm happy with it now and can get extra charging for all those short trips between the house and the shop.

Now the lack of fire, that's another matter entirely. Anybody got a good spare alternator stator? Some dufus pulled the cover and lost the small locating dowel so he put it back without it. Guess where the dowel went? Yep, you guessed it. Snagged by the rotor. Which eventually got it's licks in, making the stator basically unrepairable. Ever seen bent laminations? I just feel lucky that was the only damage done.

Now I know there are one or two of you guys who have swapped out for the higher watt stator that Baja Designs sells (and don't get me wrong, I think their Dual Sport is a great kit and I like it a lot). So somewhere there is a perfectly good stock stator sitting under a bench gathering dust. I'd be perfectly happy with that if you are willing to sell it.

Jim