Logs are killing me!

I've read other posts about logs and I've really tried to do everything like they say. I stand up, elbows up, knees barely bent, and pop the front wheel almost to the very top of the log but I keep getting nipped in the butt with the seat and a few tries later I did a pretty awesome (awesome=scary and dangerous) superman. I really want to keep working on logs because I don't want that to happen in a hare scramble and endo into a tree. I can't figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong. I'm a little scared to try too much because I don't want to get hurt before my race on Sunday, but then again, I'd like to be able to at least learn to get over logs safely and not get hurt during the race 4 miles from the pits. If I try it going fast, I almost endo so I tried going slower and I basically straddled the log and it was stuck on the log just resting on the skid plate. (1ft diameter log) What am I doing wrong? I searched youtube for how to's and watched a bunch, but they don't help all that much. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Kill dem back

"kill them back" wood+chop.JPG

I am going to guess there are two big things happening when you go over logs. First and MOST important thing is squeeze that bike with your knees as hard as you can. Keeping your knees tight will help you in any and every single situation on your dirt bike. Your legs are way stronger than your arms this is why a proper riding style is really holding on to the bike 70% with legs 30% with arms. This will also alow you to prevent from hucka-buck. Second is try to keep your upper half of your body loose and centered in the bike. Try to anticipate that "hit" when your back tire makes contact with the log it's self. Another thing Is look ahead and be confident! if you do these things and come up to a log thinking ima wheelie right over this bad boy you will be surprised what a lil confidence can do to your riding as well! Either way im no pro but I hope this helps you make some passes dude! Good luck out there.

I would say straight off, try a smaller log. Find a log that you can pretty much roll over and get used to the rear tire hitting it. Practice until you're comfortable the bikes not going to buck you in the ass. Then practice wheeling the front wheel over the small log until you can do it comfortably every time. Crossing a log shouldn't be scary. If it's scary then you're not comfortable enough with your skill in it, which means you haven't practiced it enough. 

Don't hold endurocross up as the way you're supposed to be doing it. Those guys are pro's and it's unrealistic to try and take logs at the speed and skill level they do. 

Last winter I rode with some guys that had a woods section they called Jurrasic Park. It was turn log turn log turn log turn log on and on for miles. Set up something like that and just do circles. You will be amazed at how well you can cross logs afterwards. Once you get it down start crossing at slight angles and go more and more of an angle to learn how to get across them. You won't always get a 90 degree run up to logs.

I am going to go out and try again tomorrow, I think I'll make my own tug strap just in case for the race if I happen to get stuck on something. Most of the logs I have and super small to the point where I can just stand up and I'm fine no matter what I do. I cut down a tree to get the bigger log. I'll post again tomorrow after I spend some time working on it.

Practice? :D if your rear is constantly flying up, and your nose is just diving down, and you can't get it to fly like a plane taking off, I would say your rear is too stiff, but I wouldn't mess with it for now. you know how to bunny hop on a BMX? I do the same basically. I will compress the forks, and pull a little(cover the clutch encase you whisky.) I started with a log that seems like nothing now, and doing these right now. when your front starts to touch the log, it should already be off the ground a bit, other wise, your are just slamming your front end. 

It's hard to think what you want to do, and then do it. it takes practice. if you are on a rather big log, like the last one(somewhere near 16in dia. big enough that i can rest my bike on it. 15in ground clearance) but you will find yourself leaning back at the start, and then moving your weight forwards. Study how people do stuff, what what every body part is doing, how much leaning. This is how I learn a lot, by watching, and study what people do, and practice it.

again, it should take off like a plane, and land rear wheel first(can't all the time in all situations, but is a good start)

took me 5 months to get to this lvl, and I am still not perfect at it. good enough that I can past riders in my class because they are scared of logs.

Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff

Nice riding there Luke. I want to set up something like that on my land to practice.

BTW those bark busters are huge!  Do they provide downforce? :p

Nice riding there Luke. I want to set up something like that on my land to practice.

BTW those bark busters are huge!  Do they provide downforce? :p

lol. I saved some $ I made those out of 5 gallon bucket. Thanks!

My riding there is actually worse than I am now, I can do it a little smoother, and faster now, and less mistakes.

Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff

Hey whatever works with the hand guards!  I'm still at that stage of getting it right 75% of the time and nose diving the rest of the time.  Such a great feeling when everything goes right.

It looks so easy.....until your about to flip...

Good luck finding a log so perfectly placed like in all the how-to vids :ride: 

Good luck finding a log so perfectly placed like in all the how-to vids :ride:

So true.  I wasn't having any success until I stop hitting the trees that were still standing.

Edited by Colorado^

Slow down......

ride with guys that are better than you? it's how i learned. and seems to be a good way to learn.

If you live by the railroad tracks, you have to master the log hop technique. Railroad tracks are always a Pita no matter how confident ya get.

And alot of them have either very little area for run up or very little room on the other side once you hop them so you have to hop aggressively, land  and immediately sit and jam the brakes and do a 90 degree slide out. Railroad tracks suck.

"kill them back" Posted Image

Hahahaha dam straight, watch for the greasy logs they'll send you sideways quick

I am going to go out and try again tomorrow, I think I'll make my own tug strap just in case for the race if I happen to get stuck on something. Most of the logs I have and super small to the point where I can just stand up and I'm fine no matter what I do. I cut down a tree to get the bigger log. I'll post again tomorrow after I spend some time working on it.

Don't underestimate the "Race Face." I have no better word for it. When you're in a race and you see a log, a waterfall, a downhill, a hill climb and in a single heartbeat your brain says, "Well &%$#@!, I've only got the energy to do this thing once, so do whatever it takes to make it."

That'll get you over a big log... or a ride in a helicopter. From my experience, odds are better than average you'll make it :) GL