trail bike and track bike

I've been going to the track lately and really like so will probably be going just about every free weekend I get. But I don't won't to give up riding trails and pits too. And the maintainence is beginning to add up and plus my bike (yz125) is not really suited for the long rides and hot whether of the pines. So I was wondering if people got any good combinations of bikes. I was thinking keeping my 125 and getting a yz250 for trails and pits or the ktms look cool too I like the xcs. As far as a track bike how do you like the 05 vs the 06 yz suspension for mx maybe Ill upgrade to 06+ yz. Any way just looking for some ideas 

The 200 Ktm would be an option

I've been going to the track lately and really like so will probably be going just about every free weekend I get. But I don't won't to give up riding trails and pits too. And the maintainence is beginning to add up and plus my bike (yz125) is not really suited for the long rides and hot whether of the pines. So I was wondering if people got any good combinations of bikes. I was thinking keeping my 125 and getting a yz250 for trails and pits or the ktms look cool too I like the xcs. As far as a track bike how do you like the 05 vs the 06 yz suspension for mx maybe Ill upgrade to 06+ yz. Any way just looking for some ideas 

Your yz is not really suited for the long rides and hot weather of the pines?..How about buying some big cheap chinese ebay radiators to help cool your bike down .  Here's the thing When you get 2 bikes you have twice the maintenance too. I have 3 bikes and more bikes means more money and more maintenance time. it's just how it goes. I do get to ride a 2 stroke one day and a 4 stroke the next but there's always a price to pay in effort and money and time. You can get another bike. There are so many choices to choose from. It's more about what's available in great condition and at a great price. Pick your color. blue, green, white, yellow, red,black and whatever in between. 

Hey how about this one!!

I'm predjudiced..I have one. This is good to me and you can ride trail and mx if you want. It's pretty cheap too.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/4120585497.html

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Thanks for the response I was hoping to get two bikes to cut down on the maintanece of riding one all the time. I was just thinking the small bore two stroker would be better for the track and then like a more powerful 250 for the sand but might have to re consider 

Thanks for the response I was hoping to get two bikes to cut down on the maintanece of riding one all the time. I was just thinking the small bore two stroker would be better for the track and then like a more powerful 250 for the sand but might have to re consider 

You wont have less maintenance. You will have more. ..but it is worth it if you want to have a couple bikes. You can have different bikes for your mood. You will have 2 bikes with twice the maintenance... twice the amount of stuff to break.. I have 3 and  it would be great if I would have a mechanic that just took care of my bikes and I just rode it but it usually doesn't work that way. You could get a nice 250 and still make it so you could ride trail and mx if you want. I had my cr 250 as my only bike first and I had setups for trail and for mx so I could switch it around or make it more of a hybrid hare scramble type bike.  .but  for sure you wont have less maintenance with 2 bikes. It is cool though. I ride my 4 stroke for a while and when I feel like I want some braaap 2 stroke power I got to my cr.. or my gasgas.  Eventually I plan on getting rid of both my 2 strokes and getting a new 2 stroke 300 rr Beta electric start but it's hard when my bikes are paid for and modded out and work well. For you I would think there would be a ton of good deals out there as far as good used bikes that would work well for what you want.

I've got 2 bikes (5 actually if you count the non-runners) and I'm not really sure how the maintenance increases? Can you explain?

I can only ride one at a time, so there aren't any more oil changes than before. There is more I need to keep track of, different oils, filters etc, but not any more often than with one bike.

I benefit from living in a moderate climate though. Don't really have to worry about winterizing. I just keep them in a warm, dry garage, keep a small amount of gas in them with stabilizer, start them up once a month and add fresh fuel.

The yz-250 is a great track and trails bike.

I have a 2001 VOR 503 and this bike is great for everything , tons of power and never had any real problem out of the 10 years I have owned it . The bike is for sale too

I've got 2 bikes (5 actually if you count the non-runners) and I'm not really sure how the maintenance increases? Can you explain?

I can only ride one at a time, so there aren't any more oil changes than before. There is more I need to keep track of, different oils, filters etc, but not any more often than with one bike.

I benefit from living in a moderate climate though. Don't really have to worry about winterizing. I just keep them in a warm, dry garage, keep a small amount of gas in them with stabilizer, start them up once a month and add fresh fuel.

I guess it's also depending what you ride and where you ride. I'm not sure why you don't know . It's simple really. You are still riding different bikes and maintenance and damage happens no matter what bike you ride. So you ride one bike and fall and have to fix a ripped seat. after a ride or 2 you have to change oil, clean air filters have  levers break, hit rocks blah blah blah. So you wash and put that bike back then you have to fix all of that. Then you take out your second bike and your waterpump seal goes and all of the similar maintenance issues that you have to do . Around here for example grass ruins wheel bearings and countershafts seals. I have to change out for a couple of bikes on a regular basis.   You ride 2 bikes you double your chances of breaking parts on both bikes. So say both your bikes are in top shape you can get away with doing minimal maintenance for a while then the work stacks up. All bikes have timetables for maintenance. They keep breaking especially if you aren't doing preventative maintenance. If you have 2 bikes that means you will still have to take off wheels and grease and the work just overlaps. You could just ride the bikes and do the minimum but then your bikes will more likely fail in the mountains. If you don't do the maintenance you just end up riding junks with a lot of little maintenance issues that aren't done and the bike looks and works subpar at best and you have a way higher percentage of a chance of breaking down in the trails. I don't like my bikes breaking down in the mountains if I can help it and I don't like riding with guys that don't maintain their bikes. It ruins my ride having to help fix other guys rides in the mountains because they don't do their homework. It's easy. More bikes mean more work even if you think theoretically it should be the same.

You're talking more damage than maintenance though.

Maintenance is what would be in the owners manual based on hourly use. x amount of hours, oil change and air filter clean. X amount of hours, bearings. etc etc.

If I ride 20 hours a month, that's 20 hours worth of maintenance. If I ride 2 bikes, I'm putting 10 hours on each bike, so the maintenance is halved on each bike.

If I ride 20 hours on one bike, the breakage/damage I do is going to most likely be twice as much on one bike than if I ride 10 hours each on 2 bikes.

Bearings and oil changes don't accumulate if the bikes are sitting in the garage.

4 stroke valve work for example is an hourly constant (fairly constant anyway). If I have 2 bikes that I ride half as much as one bike, I'm not doubling my valve maintenance. 

Going by the logic of the grass in the bearings, I'm going to have to clean and grease those bearings every time I take it out. If I go out 4 times, whether one one bike or 2, that's 4 times I have to do it. That's not doubling the workload.

I have to wash my bike every time I take it out. If I take both bikes out the same day, then yes THAT will double my work load, but I don't. I take one bike out one trip, then the other bike out the next trip. Same amount of work.

Really the only things that can double the work is if I take both bikes out the same day just for the sake of riding both and so have to clean them both, or if I have a friend riding the second bike. That's not a second bike for one person though, that's a separate person riding a separate bike.

Edited by ripsnorter

You're talking more damage than maintenance though.

Maintenance is what would be in the owners manual based on hourly use. x amount of hours, oil change and air filter clean. X amount of hours, bearings. etc etc.

If I ride 20 hours a month, that's 20 hours worth of maintenance. If I ride 2 bikes, I'm putting 10 hours on each bike, so the maintenance is halved on each bike.

If I ride 20 hours on one bike, the breakage/damage I do is going to most likely be twice as much on one bike than if I ride 10 hours each on 2 bikes.

Bearings and oil changes don't accumulate if the bikes are sitting in the garage.

4 stroke valve work for example is an hourly constant (fairly constant anyway). If I have 2 bikes that I ride half as much as one bike, I'm not doubling my valve maintenance. 

Going by the logic of the grass in the bearings, I'm going to have to clean and grease those bearings every time I take it out. If I go out 4 times, whether one one bike or 2, that's 4 times I have to do it. That's not doubling the workload.

I have to wash my bike every time I take it out. If I take both bikes out the same day, then yes THAT will double my work load, but I don't. I take one bike out one trip, then the other bike out the next trip. Same amount of work.

Really the only things that can double the work is if I take both bikes out the same day just for the sake of riding both and so have to clean them both, or if I have a friend riding the second bike. That's not a second bike for one person though, that's a separate person riding a separate bike.

Whatever. It's just my straight experience .. It's simple... I guess it is more damage and maintenance. Sometimes there is more damage sometimes there isn't  but because you ride more bikes you accumulate more damage/maintenance faster. I'm just being honest about the real world occurances with my bikes and where I ride.  What do you think I'm making this up? I have 3 bikes and I ride trails. Maybe if you are riding on roads it doesn't matter so much. I'm just being honest.  This is what I ride. I'm just a middle age vet rider racer. I'm not too fast or too slow. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/woodsrider117?feature=mhee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXgY-SHvcU

I don't at all think you're making it up. I just can't understand the logic is all. It's about like saying that if I drive 2 cars I'll put double the mileage on both cars and have to change the oil twice as often and will probably blow up both motors.

Just different experiences I guess.

My only bad experience with having more than one motorcycle is double the records to keep track of, and that I have a big moisture problem where I live. So I double the bikes I have to protect from moisture. That's why I sold my Ducati actually. I about cried the day I found it oxidizing in my garage!

I don't at all think you're making it up. I just can't understand the logic is all. It's about like saying that if I drive 2 cars I'll put double the mileage on both cars and have to change the oil twice as often and will probably blow up both motors.

Just different experiences I guess.

My only bad experience with having more than one motorcycle is double the records to keep track of, and that I have a big moisture problem where I live. So I double the bikes I have to protect from moisture. That's why I sold my Ducati actually. I about cried the day I found it oxidizing in my garage!

It's not double the mileage but you still end up doing more work is all. Ex. You ride a bike today and break something..a lever or anything. So you have a chance to ride the next day so you ride your other bike and you break something else. ..or you break multiple things  on both days of riding. You end up spending a bunch more time in blocks maintaning and fixing. Cars are minor in comparison unless you are racing both cars offroad and you end up breaking more stuff and having to maintain more for an offroad car. You wont have the same kind of maintenance for street bikes.

It's not double the mileage but you still end up doing more work is all. Ex. You ride a bike today and break something..a lever or anything. So you have a chance to ride the next day so you ride your other bike and you break something else. ..or you break multiple things  on both days of riding. You end up spending a bunch more time in blocks maintaning and fixing. Cars are minor in comparison unless you are racing both cars offroad and you end up breaking more stuff and having to maintain more for an offroad car. You wont have the same kind of maintenance for street bikes.

If you ride them that hard you're going to break one bike twice as often then. Unless you're saying that the act of your bike breaking down keeps you from riding again and accumulating more hours until you've fixed it, so you're not breaking something else. But some people will fix it that same day even if it means a trip of several hours to get the part.

I have broken levers as fast as I can put them on my dirt bike. Every single outing. Until I bought guards. I'd be buying the same amount of levers on one bike as on two, as I can only ride one at a time. I learned what protective gear to buy, and what spares to carry, and not to ride it quite that hard if i just keep breaking things. I just trail ride, not race.

I think I finally understand your point though. You're saying that you'll accumulate more riding hours since you have a second bike to fall back on while you fix the first, so FELT maintenance is higher. But honestly if you rode the one bike that often and could fix it right away, you'd be doing the same work.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by ripsnorter

For a trail bike what about a TTR230? Change the jets and open up the airflow and it really makes a nice trail bike. I love mine. Pretty easy to maintain. The shocks aren't the greatest. I'm a heavier rider at about 215lbs and I feel the harshness of the rear shock but overall it's great.

I think I finally understand your point though. You're saying that you'll accumulate more riding hours since you have a second bike to fall back on while you fix the first, so FELT maintenance is higher. But honestly if you rode the one bike that often and could fix it right away, you'd be doing the same work.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

That's the thing. You don't end up fixing the bike up right away a bunch of times. Sometimes you can't...need a part..takes too long to do the job ..etc. For me time management to ride is critical with child care and obligations so when a friend says hey I can go ride tomorrow and can't go next week you just ride and try to figure out the maintenance schedule later and ride. It also depends on how much time you have and when to ride and take care of your bike. If you have a lot of time it just doesn't matter. .I'm done with riding by myself as it is too dangerous.