Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 (2008 YZ250) FRONT BRAKE INQUIRY

Hi, I am a regular lurker here and have made a few posts. I get quite a bit of good info from this site. Here is my situation...

I have 2 YZ250s.

1 2007.

1 2008.

Both bikes work well and run well.

The 2007 has a much better front brake than the 2008.

Neither the 2007 nor the 2008 front brake is terrible. The 2007 is just much better.

Neither brake system has air in it. I used a Mityvac and bled them correctly.

Both brake systems have good pistons and both master cylinders are good condition.

Both brake lines are stock.

So my questions are...

What year Honda rebuild kits fit the 07-08 YZ250s?

Maybe air is trapped in the caliper? Someone posted something about pushing the pistons in to relieve some trapped air, but this didn't really make sense to me.

Does a braided line really make much difference?

Any other advice?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi Mike, I have a 2007 with a braided line and Honda brake pads and actually want more braking too. The Braided Line is a good addition but not the total cure. I am going with a larger rotor (270 mm). Others have used the CRF Master Cylinder/OEM Brake Line and caliper for the 250F/450F with great success.

I have never heard a Honda Rebuild kit works...is that true?

Also, if you do use the braided line be sure to clamp it tight. I also safety wired it at the upper rubber sleeve too. Reason is it can actually slide down and get caught in your spokes...

Good luck!

• Like 1

never heard of oem honda rebuilds in a yz master cylinder. If you want some honda dna to fix your pucker power, 

2007+ crf250 master cylinder, braided ss line, crf oem brake pads in the yz master cylinder. Can also do the crf brake caliper swap if you like but I dont think its needed.

or..

Buy a 270mm or 280mm front rotor kit

galfer

braking

ebc

tusk

irp

I bought a wheel set on ebay. The front had an oversized rotor. I picked the needed adapter bracket a few days later, again on ebay. Wow! I have never had this much front brake. I would try the oversized rotor before I would go thru all the parts swapping. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

My 1987 CR has braided brake lines from the factory.  When you say 2007 and 2008 the likely don't have the stock pads in them.  Just get stock pads for both and you braking performance will likely improve.  All of my aftermarket experiences have been awful (never use a ceramic pad if you can ride a dirt bike over 35mph).

interesting perspective since the 2008 they swapped to the smaller and better front bake - at least I thought that was general consensus

I have the 2010 (small type) front calliper and 2004 master, and I'd rate my front brake as pretty good. I'm pretty fussy about the front brake, and like to use it late to limit if traction or lock up. My front brake lever is not spongey at all.

Did you swap the pads between your bikes? Or try swapping the front wheels (testing a rotor swap)?

The pads and rotor condition makes a huge difference!  Basics really.

I'm currently running some organic front pads (Metalgear) and for infrequent braking when not heating them right up, they are really good, with great grippy feel. As a bonus they are gentle on the rotor surface.

Last weekend I rode a 2010 KTM300 EXC and the front brake was terrible. That's the magic Brembo stuff. I think it just goes to show how important the condition of the rotor and pads is.  Pads don't just wear out. They can be contaminated, and some are just crap when new.

If you have new pads, seals replaced, steel braided lines, and no air in the system, and then suspect your rotors are stuffed, then try the Tusk oversized 270mm rotor kit for $115. I put one on my KX450F and it's unreal. They are a floating rotor with real nice feel.

Edited by numroe

Hi, I am a regular lurker here and have made a few posts. I get quite a bit of good info from this site. Here is my situation...

I have 2 YZ250s.

1 2007.

1 2008.

Both bikes work well and run well.

The 2007 has a much better front brake than the 2008.

Neither the 2007 nor the 2008 front brake is terrible. The 2007 is just much better.

Neither brake system has air in it. I used a Mityvac and bled them correctly.

Both brake systems have good pistons and both master cylinders are good condition.

Both brake lines are stock.

So my questions are...

What year Honda rebuild kits fit the 07-08 YZ250s?

Maybe air is trapped in the caliper? Someone posted something about pushing the pistons in to relieve some trapped air, but this didn't really make sense to me.

Does a braided line really make much difference?

Any other advice?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

If you buy a rebuild kit for a 2001 cr250 (2stroke) it will fit in your MC. This rebuild kit will improve modulation of the brake, but i didn't notice any difference in stopping power. I would recommend getting a set of OEM honda pads for the 2007 crf250/450. they will fit your bikes and improve the front brake quite a bit. 

Recently I have been messing with my front brake a lot and i felt that the best mods were a braided line and OEM honda pads. Putting honda internals in a yz master cylinder should in theory make a honda MC, but I didn't think it was worth the time and effort. Something about the honda MC is still better than the modded yamaha MC. I also have an oversized brake rotor which i am happy with, but i felt the most power gained was from the braided line and honda pads.