IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Just got back from Sierra Safari and 75% of the bikes were Orange

Things have really changed in the offload dirt bike world. It appears for now that KTM is taking over the offroad (non-mx) world. I see why after riding 350 miles last weekend with 50+ 2 wheelers, of which most were "the orange bikes". I don't get why the Japanese manufacturers are not competing in this market. Yes they have a few 250/450 enduro bikes, with electric starters, wide ratio trannies, and lights, but compared to their motocross counterparts, they lack the power output, the top notch suspension, the fuel injection (which incidentally makes a HUGE difference when running up to high elevations), and still lack a sufficient fuel capacity for any real distance riding. For those of up who ride in California, our choices are KTM, ready out of the box, or a Honda / Yamaha and dump a bunch of money into it to make it work the way the manufacturer should have done it out of the box! I rode this ride with three buddies. 2 had fuel injected bikes. One a '13 KTM EXC, and one a '12 Kawasaki KX with fuel injection. Their bikes started and ran perfect. With the fuel injection, they can be tuned or chipped to max performance. Only the KTM has. License plate, so you can ride all year round and ride the streets to get to the trail. Why is KTM our only choice? On top of all this, I still miss the simplicity of the 2 strokes, and the lighter weight flick ability in the tight stuff. I ride a CRF450R with big tank, Scott's damper, heavy flywheel, spark arrestor, trail tech goodies, etc. the gearing is awful. Needs a 6th gear (like the KTM).

• Like 1

Luke- I will agree with you on the 300EXC. If I could get fuel injection and a green sticker for that bike, I wouldn't care about why the "big 4" have abandoned us. It just kills me to have to put out $11K for a new 450/500 EXC and still wish the bike could loose 20 lbs.

I would say that even more than 75% of the bikes are orange at any offroad race in the southeast.  I think KTM gains huge market share simply by continuing to offer updated smokers.  Smokers are still the weapon of choice for offroad guys in the A and B classes that are buying their own bikes.

• Like 1

I think KTM is more focused in dirtbikes. So, naturally, KTM is going to offer better products.

Hond/Suzi/Kawi/Yama are giant multinaptional conglormorate. They're not worry about a small niche market. Every month, there are less and less places to ride offroad. The CEO's see that in long term, offroad riding doesn't look too good. Most people are going to go to the tracks instead. Besides, I imagine their motorcycle divisions are not very profitable anyway. But if Hond/Suzi/Kai/Yama get serious about offroad, then KTM will be dead.

Edited by Terminatr

KTM's main focus is offroad. The Japanese main focus is the track. I believe Honda outsells all other brands combined.

Whatever. My 06 KX250 has explosive yet controllable power with good suspension and great handling/adequate brakes. Plenty of nicer older two strokes out there. Lectron carburetors take care of the elevation issue. 

Just saying ya'll don't need no 13 or 14 300XC to enjoy an off road ride. 

• Like 1

I sometimes feel bad for the people that ride trails on anything other than the KTM 200 !!! hahahaa

Just kidding. Kinda. 

I love my (street plated) 200 EXC ;) 

I sometimes feel bad for the people that ride trails on anything other than the KTM 200 !!! hahahaa

Just kidding. Kinda. 

I love my (street plated) 200 EXC ;)

I had this bike. The forks just suck and the motor was good except on technical hill climbs. Great fuel mileage! 

KTM's main focus is offroad. The Japanese main focus is the track. I believe Honda outsells all other brands combined.

I think ktm sells more off road bikes by far.

I think ktm sells more off road bikes by far.

KTM may sell more offroad bikes but overall dirtbike sales, Honda is far and away the leader. Like I said, It was a few years ago, but I seen the sales % and Honda outsold every other brand combined when it came to dirtbikes. That goes from peewees up to the XR650's.

Whatever. My 06 KX250 has explosive yet controllable power with good suspension and great handling/adequate brakes. Plenty of nicer older two strokes out there. Lectron carburetors take care of the elevation issue. 

Just saying ya'll don't need no 13 or 14 300XC to enjoy an off road ride. 

I'm going to assume you've never owned a newer bike.  Suspension, chasis, and engine have come a long way since 2006.  Especially the offroad capabilities of KTMs compared to your KX.

• Like 1

I'm going to assume you've never owned a newer bike.  Suspension, chasis, and engine have come a long way since 2006.  Especially the offroad capabilities of KTMs compared to your KX.

:thumbsup:  My uncle still thinks the CR500 is God's gift to offroad motorcycle racing.  "Offset triple clamps make it turn better."  "A 16 oz flywheel weight tones down the abrupt motor."  "Suspension work makes it plusher."  But I owned and raced a CR500 from 2004 to 2006 in the desert, and I'm the first to say that those machines are obsolete by technology standards.  

Who would ride a Yamadawg 426 just because they've owned one since 1998??  No one I know.  Same thing.  All bikes have advanced far beyond what was imaginable 10 years ago.

I'm going to assume you've never owned a newer bike. Suspension, chasis, and engine have come a long way since 2006. Especially the offroad capabilities of KTMs compared to your KX.

Oh you mean the ktms finally ride like a kx? Just kidding but I paid 2K for mine you're saying that I need to spend $7k more plus tax tip and toll to enjoy trail riding? This antique kx already came setup from previous owner. No other trail mods necessary.

You're right, I've only owned a 2009 model recently. Total antique.

:thumbsup: My uncle still thinks the CR500 is God's gift to offroad motorcycle racing. "Offset triple clamps make it turn better." "A 16 oz flywheel weight tones down the abrupt motor." "Suspension work makes it plusher." But I owned and raced a CR500 from 2004 to 2006 in the desert, and I'm the first to say that those machines are obsolete by technology standards.

Who would ride a Yamadawg 426 just because they've owned one since 1998?? No one I know. Same thing. All bikes have advanced far beyond what was imaginable 10 years ago.

Last cr5 was made in 2001 yo.

Things have really changed in the offload dirt bike world. It appears for now that KTM is taking over the offroad (non-mx) world. I see why after riding 350 miles last weekend with 50+ 2 wheelers, of which most were "the orange bikes"

Yeah but don't you know, "KTM is ruining offroad motorcycle racing"??  They make an offroad bike.  The Big 4 don't produce one.  That's why my blood has turned orange the last few years.

Last cr5 was made in 2001 yo.

Yup.. and I rode a 1999 model from 2004-2006 racing desert.  The 426 reference was a parallel example of how technology has gone far beyond the primitive 90s technology, for strokers and smokers.  I'm just sad to see smokers disappearing from the Jap lineups because I would go back to Honda if they invested in a bike that interested me. 

Yup.. and I rode a 1999 model from 2004-2006 racing desert. The 426 reference was a parallel example of how technology has gone far beyond the primitive 90s technology, for strokers and smokers. I'm just sad to see smokers disappearing from the Jap lineups because I would go back to Honda if they invested in a bike that interested me.

Few knew it but Kawi made a whole new 250 in 2005. They tweaked it some for 06 and then final year was 2007 like Honda. Anyway, I didn't know that the bike was any good prior to buying it. I am pleasantly surprised. Of course new bikes are better but I just don't see the value there yet. Maybe another ten years.